Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 11:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 858,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
When was the last time you saw it this bad?
The worst I seen and been effected by was the Carter administration.
That was real bad.
It even changed the country but it wasn’t this bad.
I think you’ve confused the Carter administration with the Reagan administration.

BUT, this is a thread about Bellingham, not politics. Some posters forgot that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 12:00 PM

1,685 posts, read 2,725,839 times
On the topic of economy, Bellingham's job market is very weak outside of minimum wage jobs and there are few major employers there besides the hospital and university. There are lots of low wage jobs but not living wage ones.

That won't change unless the town brings in some major new employer somehow, and it's a very expensive, isolated place so that likely won't happen.

The economy in Bellingham isn't going to rise and fall the same way as somewhere like the Seattle Metro which has major employers. Retirees, remote workers and WWU employees prop up the housing market and keep the vacancy rate low, prices up.

And it's so beautiful, everyone wants to live there.

I'm not sure politics play heavily in it.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:50 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,754,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
On the topic of economy, Bellingham's job market is very weak outside of minimum wage jobs and there are few major employers there besides the hospital and university. There are lots of low wage jobs but not living wage ones.

That won't change unless the town brings in some major new employer somehow, and it's a very expensive, isolated place so that likely won't happen.

The economy in Bellingham isn't going to rise and fall the same way as somewhere like the Seattle Metro which has major employers. Retirees, remote workers and WWU employees prop up the housing market and keep the vacancy rate low, prices up.

And it's so beautiful, everyone wants to live there.

I'm not sure politics play heavily in it.
The bolded is the big issue(s), but add in students. Over 1/3rd of the population is students and they have always gobbled up any and all "cheap" housing. Some say B'ham has surpassed SF in income/cost of living ratio. Very common now to see $800-$1000/head to rent a room in a house. $1,500 on up for anything that is it's own unit(~400sq/ft studio or MIL suite). I suspect REITS are purchasing many of the homes as there is new listings almost daily by property management (I'm still following all my same FB pages) renting individual rooms in whole houses one after another.
There is far more homeless in B'ham alone, than there is available units.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:30 PM

1,504 posts, read 1,685,943 times
One obvious solution would be more student housing. There are blocks and blocks of private apartments filled with students and I'm sure it is spread among the single family homes too. My hometown had a large university and had the problem of all the family housing being taken up by students. They built a huge accommodation center and the problem was reversed very quickly. Also tidied up the place too, since students are pretty bad at upkeep of yards and landlords don't address the appearance of houses as well as a live-in homeowner.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
One obvious solution would be more student housing. There are blocks and blocks of private apartments filled with students and I'm sure it is spread among the single family homes too. My hometown had a large university and had the problem of all the family housing being taken up by students. They built a huge accommodation center and the problem was reversed very quickly. Also tidied up the place too, since students are pretty bad at upkeep of yards and landlords don't address the appearance of houses as well as a live-in homeowner.
That's a huge problem. WWU hasn't built any new dorms in many years except to replace one they tore down. They have dorm space for 4000 students and now have over 16000 students. Many students are living in older single family homes in town with like you said, trashy yards that could be cleaned up.

Given that this works for the university, they don't seem to have any plans for more dorms. The university keeps increasing enrollment and the town has to absorb those extra students and house them.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:48 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
That's a huge problem. WWU hasn't built any new dorms in many years except to replace one they tore down. They have dorm space for 4000 students and now have over 16000 students. Many students are living in older single family homes in town with like you said, trashy yards that could be cleaned up.

Given that this works for the university, they don't seem to have any plans for more dorms. The university keeps increasing enrollment and the town has to absorb those extra students and house them.
Sounds like the university isn't being a good neighbor. It also sounds like the university's footprint was too small, and didn't allow for future growth, plus there's probably not a dedicated endowment for acquiring new property and building new buildings, unlike the UW. It looks like the UW was prioritized in state funding when the state university system was created.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:57 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,754,208 times
Quote:

And this is the same with WCC and BTC too. That's why home ownership is inverted in Bellingham, with almost 2/3rds renting. With the exceptions of neighborhoods that require owner occupy, one of the most common house sales is to turn every dining room, basement, bonus attic space, garage, and walk in closet into bunk rooms for students. We all call them student flop-houses. During the pandemic many of these students went remote. Combined with the "free rent" movement, many landlords converted their units to condos and sold them. Now they are returning to an even tighter and more expensive rental market that is now $800-$1000 a head for a room.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:23 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,505,266 times
WWU wants to increase enrollment numbers:
https://president.wwu.edu/budget-upd...andemic%20drop.

The key phrase is in the 4th paragraph. They lost a number of students due to COVID protocols but still want increased enrollment moving forward.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:05 PM

That's interesting. I hadn't realized enrollment had dropped a bit from the 16,000 a few years ago. That's still a lot of students in town for the amount of student housing the university and tech and community college provide.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:54 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,505,266 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I hadn't realized enrollment had dropped a bit from the 16,000 a few years ago. That's still a lot of students in town for the amount of student housing the university and tech and community college provide.
When I first attended in the late 1960s, there were around 8,000 students iirc. There were 10,000 after I graduated in 1973. Thus was probably due to the Boomer generation swelling the enrollment numbers plus the GI Bill for returning Vietnam veterans.

Here is a graph showing enrollment trends:
https://oie.wwu.edu/New%20Enrollment/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington