Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 10:29 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I was mandated to install electric heat pumps and electric water heater by the state in our last home build. No natural gas here, and propane doesn't "gasify" from it's liquid form below ~20*F. Power isn't always on for a propane tank heater when it's cold. With the anti-natural gas stance of state and local gov't, new services aren't being extended hardly anywhere. So now I get a message saying to use less electricity. Really makes me want to run out and buy an electric car, and I can't wait until the snake river dams come out. Can't fix stupid.
Here is the BPA report from today:

https://transmission.bpa.gov/Busines...d/baltwg3.aspx

Notice NO electricity generated by wind.

Notice that the PNW has IMPORTED electricity during this time period, to keep the grid from going down.

Looking at California electric generation they are ALSO importing electricity.

So the only thing keeping the PNW grid from going down right now is probably BC Hydro.

Take the Snake River Dams out as Biden, Inslee, Cantwell are proposing and you have a real crises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 08:36 PM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Didn't they close a nuclear plant in western Washington in the 1980's??

Yes units #3 and 5 were supposed to be built at Satsop. The first unit (WNP-3) was over 75% complete when put on hold in 1983, and WNP-5 was cancelled in 1982. had both units been completed, they would be generating 2,480 MW of power for western Washington. But, they are still almost completely dependent on electricity generated over here in the eastern half of the state.

It's also interesting to note that those windmills only really work in the spring, when snowmelt has our dams in the Columbia system running near full nameplate capacity. But hydropower isn't "green".

Old 01-27-2024, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Yes units #3 and 5 were supposed to be built at Satsop. ....

It's also interesting to note that those windmills only really work in the spring, when snowmelt has our dams in the Columbia system running near full nameplate capacity. But hydropower isn't "green".
I am pretty amused that Hydropower is considered GREEN in much of the world.

New Zealand is very much into promoting their Green Hydropower.

Not woke, yet...

Old 01-27-2024, 04:47 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
... But hydropower isn't "green".
It can be. Certainly is in the sense that no carbon is generated, and the process is sustainable. In SE Alaska we tap high mountain lakes to generate power for relatively small communities. Damning salmon waterways is a no no!

Old 01-28-2024, 09:13 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Then what is the solution? Nuclear maybe....no not maybe it has to be done.

I think solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear power should be part of the solution - all are carbon-emission free, except for building the infrastructure. We need to eliminate coal.

I think a lot of the resistance to nuclear power is due to distrust of the nuclear industry.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:18 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I think solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear power should be part of the solution - all are carbon-emission free, except for building the infrastructure. We need to eliminate coal.

I think a lot of the resistance to nuclear power is due to distrust of the nuclear industry.
Wind power depends on the sun...in some areas that is limited during the cloudy winter months. Its is estimated that about 300k birds are killed each year.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ill-180948154/

Solar is taking away land needed for other uses. It is estimated that around 6K birds are killed each year.
https://www.sciencealert.com/this-so...0-birds-a-year

Mistrust over nuclear power plants are misguided. There has no death in the US from any nuclear reactor.
The Ukrainian nuclear power plant was built by the Russians. Their safety and building practices has always been in question.
The power plant in Japan didn't fail due to the earthquake. It failed due to the tsunami. Building a plant prone to water was Japan's fault not the plant itself.
Now your comment about eliminating coal....did you know China and India even after signing onto the Paris toothless climate deal still is building coal power plants? China is allowed to build two coal power plants a week.
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/02/11604...ies-report-fin

Old 01-29-2024, 12:03 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It can be. Certainly is in the sense that no carbon is generated, and the process is sustainable. In SE Alaska we tap high mountain lakes to generate power for relatively small communities. Damning salmon waterways is a no no!
You and I know that hydropower is as green as you can get, but try convincing most Western Washington liberals of that. Good luck.

Quote:
Wind power depends on the sun...in some areas that is limited during the cloudy winter months. Its is estimated that about 300k birds are killed each year
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ill-180948154/

Solar is taking away land needed for other uses. It is estimated that around 6K birds are killed each year.
https://www.sciencealert.com/this-so...0-birds-a-year
Not to mention a massive number of Hoary bats. Bats, for those who may not know are vital to our ecosystem, each bat eats up to 6,000 insects a night. They are however slow to reproduce like the raptors that wind turbines are also killing in large numbers.

Quote:
Mistrust over nuclear power plants are misguided. There has no death in the US from any nuclear reactor.
The Ukrainian nuclear power plant was built by the Russians. Their safety and building practices has always been in question.
The power plant in Japan didn't fail due to the earthquake. It failed due to the tsunami. Building a plant prone to water was Japan's fault not the plant itself.
This is correct. Fukushima Daiichi survived the quake with almost no damage, as did every other nuclear plant in the country. Fukushima Daini, 6 miles south of Daiichi, suffered no damage from the quake or tsunami and shut down automatically as designed with no problems. The problem was the seawall at Fukushima Daiichi wasn't built tall enough to stop the tsunami that occurred after the quake, which drowned the plant's backup generators, which were to provide backup cooling in case of a failure of the primary reactor cooling system.

Quote:
Now your comment about eliminating coal....did you know China and India even after signing onto the Paris toothless climate deal still is building coal power plants? China is allowed to build two coal power plants a week.
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/02/11604...ies-report-fin
China alone added 17,000 MW of coal fired generation in the first half of 2023 alone, and has an additional 243,000 MW under construction or permitted to start construction.
https://globalenergymonitor.org/pres...missions-peak/

Unless your name happens to be John Kerry, you know the Chinese will continue to lie about any environmental commitments they make and will keep doing what they see as best for China, to hell with the rest of the world.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:01 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Unless your name happens to be John Kerry, you know the Chinese will continue to lie about any environmental commitments they make and will keep doing what they see as best for China, to hell with the rest of the world.
Having been to China five times and witness smog generated by burning mass amounts of coal...yes its the hell with the rest of world. I was in western China in December a few years ago and witness snow that was black from homes and industry burning coal. You see a lot of Chinese wearing mask because of the coal dust and industrial pollution...long before Covid.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:36 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I have owned a off-grid home for 25 years, my solar output DROPS IN HALF during the summer, compared to sunny cold days in winter...
Perhaps the panels are better oriented to capture the lower angle sun during winter?

Or you live in a hot climate. At 77F or below, there is no penalty with warm temps over cold for solar panels.

Old 02-06-2024, 02:28 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
509, I tried to PM you.
I found some interesting data, just what I could online so YMMV.
Apparently due to California's "green mandate" they are required to pay triple for wind and solar produced KWH. The dams are locked into a low KMH price for decades and typically run at a surplus of energy unless its super hot/cold. This leaves the windfarms at idle almost all the time IF there is wind when you need them. So, if the snake river dams come out, this creates a "hole" in power capacity to be filled of which Californian providers must pay 3x the rate for. See where we are heading with this and who benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington