Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Not until they start building Nuclear plants.
Didn't they close a nuclear plant in western Washington in the 1980's??

There is a discussion over here to STOP taxpayer subsidies to Industrial Wind & Solar Areas EAST of the Cascades. The tax subsidies would still be available WEST of the Cascades. That would shift production to where the demand is being generated.

Off-shore wind generation needs to be implemented quickly if Washington state wants to rely on Industrial Wind Areas for electricity.

The state of Washington really does need to quickly increase electric generation west of the Cascades. Go up to Stampede Pass and look at all the power lines crossing the mountains in ONE location. It wouldn't take much to take out about half the electricity in western Washington.

It would also help out with Spotted Owl Management if those power lines were removed.

Washington does need to practice conservation!!! Is there a reason I need to see the glow from Seattle from my house in Wenatchee at 3:00 am???

Chelan County PUD is PAYING businesses to put their outside lights on motion detectors. It is however, a very slow process. Just so we can sell that electricity to folks in California and elsewhere that leave their lights on all night!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I was just going to post Cliff Mass's post on this thread, 509.

The Cold Truth About Renewable Energy in the Pacific Northwest
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2024/...le-energy.html
Lots of good information in the comments. Well worth reading the article and then the comments.

You will learn more there, than reading the Seattle Times.

Couple of clarifications:

Off-peak hours don't exist anymore in California. I looked at electricity use in California and while it does bottom at 3:00 am, total night-time use is equal to day-time in California. In areas, of the country that still have a industrial base it might be different.

For California, to charge EV's they are going to have to put in charging stations at WORK sites. Which makes sense anyway given their dependence on solar for in-state electrical generation.

New Washington state building code goes into effect on March 15th. My architect friend says that it is the end of affordable housing in Washington. According to him it is the energy code that will raise the cost of building a house by $50,000 dollars!!!

Solar does work on hot summer days, but the output is significantly lower. Solar does best on very cold, sunny days. That is why people in Colorado use it!!!

Anyway, well worth reading the comment section. All the news the newspapers didn't print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 12:13 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

There is a discussion over here to STOP taxpayer subsidies to Industrial Wind & Solar Areas EAST of the Cascades. The tax subsidies would still be available WEST of the Cascades. That would shift production to where the demand is being generated.

Off-shore wind generation needs to be implemented quickly if Washington state wants to rely on Industrial Wind Areas for electricity.

The state of Washington really does need to quickly increase electric generation west of the Cascades. Go up to Stampede Pass and look at all the power lines crossing the mountains in ONE location. It wouldn't take much to take out about half the electricity in western Washington.

It would also help out with Spotted Owl Management if those power lines were removed.

Washington does need to practice conservation!!! Is there a reason I need to see the glow from Seattle from my house in Wenatchee at 3:00 am???

Chelan County PUD is PAYING businesses to put their outside lights on motion detectors. It is however, a very slow process. Just so we can sell that electricity to folks in California and elsewhere that leave their lights on all night!!!

its so that Chelan Co can charge the public buses and keep the fares cheap.
Good to see that making money for Chelan Co PUD is good for residents. IMO, Chelan should squeeze Seattle, harder.

Lots of good information in the comments. Well worth reading the article and then the comments.

You will learn more there, than reading the Seattle Times.

Couple of clarifications:

Off-peak hours don't exist anymore in California. I looked at electricity use in California and while it does bottom at 3:00 am, total night-time use is equal to day-time in California. In areas, of the country that still have a industrial base it might be different.

For California, to charge EV's they are going to have to put in charging stations at WORK sites. Which makes sense anyway given their dependence on solar for in-state electrical generation.

New Washington state building code goes into effect on March 15th. My architect friend says that it is the end of affordable housing in Washington. According to him it is the energy code that will raise the cost of building a house by $50,000 dollars!!!

Solar does work on hot summer days, but the output is significantly lower. Solar does best on very cold, sunny days. That is why people in Colorado use it!!!
this past week of our regional sub freezing temps, Chelan oughta be making more solar. A lot of plateau land that no one sees from the roads. There is a lot of PUD security land around the dams that could be used for solar, and save the low water flows.

Anyway, well worth reading the comment section. All the news the newspapers didn't print.
You got a beautiful county. I gotta visit more often.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good discussion 509 - it's something too many don't understand.

We have a need for MORE electrical infrastructure, and Democrats are actively dismantling the electrical infrastructure we have in exchange for windmills that won't provide what we need today, let alone in the next decade.

Should we be investing in new technology? YES! Can these new technologies ADD to what we have now? SURE! Can they replace what we have and will need? NOT YET.
WAY too much "common sense" in the above, quoted post!!

(and it's not just limited to Washington State. There are areas all over the United States, that are allowing common sense to be overruled.)

Old 01-16-2024, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
WAY too much "common sense" in the above, quoted post!!

(and it's not just limited to Washington State. There are areas all over the United States, that are allowing common sense to be overruled.)

Meanful E generation ignored since the 1970's (about the time of the Arab Oil Embargo)

Conspiracy?
Go up to Stampede Pass and look at all the power lines crossing the mountains in ONE location. It wouldn't take much to take out about half the electricity in western Washington.
Chinese owned wind power in WA State. ...

Old 01-17-2024, 11:43 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,405,754 times
Quote:
Yes because cost overrun.
Quote:
Have been east of Ellensburg or Goldendale lately.
Quote:
Plenty of wind turbines in Eastern Washington but few in Western Washington. I don't think wind turbines out in the pacific is practical because the weather is to rough. A few year ago they tried tide generators but it didn't pan out.
Quote:
You got good eye sight. I live about 75 west of Seattle and can't see any lights at night but in the day time I see plenty of pollution in that direction.
Quote:
Hog wash. I have had solar on my home for a few years and the peak output is differently summer time.
Summer time is when my over usage is shipped back to the PUD and store up for lower my cost in the winter months.

Old 01-17-2024, 12:30 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
I have owned a off-grid home for 25 years, my solar output DROPS IN HALF during the summer, compared to sunny cold days in winter.

Summer is also when I have excess power. BUT, it makes more sense to put solar in COLD, SUNNY areas.

BTW....the weather in eastern Washington is just as awful as western Washington between Thanksgiving and President's Day. No solar in eastern Washington during that time period.

Wind in eastern Washington comes in spring, when we have excess electricity generated by hydro due to salmon recovery regulations.

We need wind electricity. in WINTER. Those Industrial Wind Areas in western Washington would generate electricity during the time period needed, not in spring.

Off-shore wind works in the North Sea off England and Denmark. The Washington coast is a piece of cake.

We need to get started NOW if we are serious about generating electricity with wind.

The tidal project was stopped by the environmental community. Choices, we have to make choices.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Don’t wind generators kill a lot of birds?
The ones in Northern California have done a number on the golden eagles.
I would love to have one on my property but I’m not into killing any birds.

I recommend cutting off California.
You think them houses down there are expensive now .

Old 01-18-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I have owned a off-grid home for 25 years, my solar output DROPS IN HALF during the summer, compared to sunny cold days in winter.

Summer is also when I have excess power. BUT, it makes more sense to put solar in COLD, SUNNY areas.

BTW....the weather in eastern Washington is just as awful as western Washington between Thanksgiving and President's Day. No solar in eastern Washington during that time period.

Wind in eastern Washington comes in spring, when we have excess electricity generated by hydro due to salmon recovery regulations.

We need wind electricity. in WINTER. Those Industrial Wind Areas in western Washington would generate electricity during the time period needed, not in spring.

Off-shore wind works in the North Sea off England and Denmark. The Washington coast is a piece of cake.

We need to get started NOW if we are serious about generating electricity with wind.

The tidal project was stopped by the environmental community. Choices, we have to make choices.
Choices? Environmental concerns? How about Nuclear power plants which are way more efficient then wind or solar which only works when the sun is out or the wind blows. In Texas it was proven that wind turbines went down in cold weather and snow on solar panels stops them completely especially in colder climates just like the one of the biggest fault of EV's.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Don’t wind generators kill a lot of birds?
The ones in Northern California have done a number on the golden eagles.
I would love to have one on my property but I’m not into killing any birds.

I recommend cutting off California.
You think them houses down there are expensive now .
Also environmentalist complain solar fields of panels disturbs birds who build their nest on them and then the panel move to accommodate the position of the sun. Also killing native plants under the panels due to added heat and lack of sunshine.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:33 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
I was mandated to install electric heat pumps and electric water heater by the state in our last home build. No natural gas here, and propane doesn't "gasify" from it's liquid form below ~20*F. Power isn't always on for a propane tank heater when it's cold. With the anti-natural gas stance of state and local gov't, new services aren't being extended hardly anywhere. So now I get a message saying to use less electricity. Really makes me want to run out and buy an electric car, and I can't wait until the snake river dams come out. Can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington