Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 11:27 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

After the McCleary decision, which said education must be funded equally across the state, the Democrats came up with a novel plan to send MORE money to rich school districts in spite of the Washington Supreme Court.

They took money and sent it to rich western Washington school districts like Bellevue. They said it did NOT violate the McCleary decision since they took the money from WADOT and not education funds. The Washington Supreme Court thought that was fine.

That was almost to much even for the Seattle Times.

Oh, yeah, the money went to the school districts in the three counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 11:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
After the McCleary decision, which said education must be funded equally across the state, the Democrats came up with a novel plan to send MORE money to rich school districts in spite of the Washington Supreme Court.

They took money and sent it to rich western Washington school districts like Bellevue. They said it did NOT violate the McCleary decision since they took the money from WADOT and not education funds. The Washington Supreme Court thought that was fine.

That was almost to much even for the Seattle Times.

Oh, yeah, the money went to the school districts in the three counties.
Interesting and amazing. Here in Sammamish we have great schools, but our property tax is over $11,000. Of that 30.78% goes to State Schools, 28.65% to local schools. In addition, the parents participate heavily in PTSA fund raising. Even back when our youngest kid was in elementary school they did a "pass the hat" at "back to school" night and got over $20,000 that night.

The Democrat controlled state legislators are not all from these more affluent cities but I suppose more of them are due to the higher population in the liberal districts, and the leadership of both houses is from the west side.

Old 01-12-2024, 11:59 AM

I think we need to eliminate ALL local school levies and bonds.

The Washington State Supreme Court said it is the PARAMOUNT responsibility of state government to fund K-12 education.....EQUALLY.

The only way to do that is have the state of Washington collect and distribute the monies for the school districts.

The local school boards can decide how to spend that money in their communities.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:56 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
Quote:
After the McCleary decision, which said education must be funded equally across the state,
No it didn't. It said that basic education must be fully funded throughout the state, and it bases that amount sent to each district on overheads and enrollment, so that they don't have to rely on levies. The supreme court ruled that it's still okay to have levies though to supplement the school budget above the base level, but those levies are raised within the districts themselves. Rich people have the cash and willingness to fund their schools more, which is an equity issue, not equality. I have no idea where you are getting the idea that they were WSDOT funds.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition;66296927[B
]No it didn't. It said that basic education must be fully funded throughout the state, and it bases that amount sent to each district on overheads and enrollment, so that they don't have to rely on levies.[/b] The supreme court ruled that it's still okay to have levies though to supplement the school budget above the base level, but those levies are raised within the districts themselves. Rich people have the cash and willingness to fund their schools more, which is an equity issue, not equality. I have no idea where you are getting the idea that they were WSDOT funds.
If education is FULLY FUNDED throughout the state does that not mean EQUAL funding throughout the state??

The Washington State Supreme court decision on McCleary is the same as putting "lipstick on separate but equal" decision!!!

Why if K-12 is the paramount duty of state government, should we allow rural and poor students to get a "separate by equal' education??? Most of those students are latino.

The transfer of funds was NOT a levy. It was actually a one time transfer of WADOT funds to support busing in the three large counties.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:02 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
It's not even close to equal for school funding. A relative was in a technical class that worked on RC solar cars that competed with all the other high schools. They had to go beg to local businesses for funds for the parts to build their car (less than $1,000). A school district showed up from a "Microsoft" area school with a custom van outfitted with racks of solar panels wired for all different light conditions and a very fancy custom carbon fiber chassis car, must have been like a $40K setup. The funny thing was their car was of course very fast but they couldn't drive very good hit a cone and broke it. Poor school's driver actually landed a 3rd place

Old 01-15-2024, 08:05 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
Quote:
If education is FULLY FUNDED throughout the state does that not mean EQUAL funding throughout the state??
Yes. Do you think it would cost the same to run a school in Bellevue as it does Ellensburg?

Quote:
The transfer of funds was NOT a levy. It was actually a one time transfer of WADOT funds to support busing in the three large counties.
You keep saying WADOT, but do you mean WSDOT? Are you talking about general bus upgrades like this that are available for anywhere in the state:
https://wsdot.wa.gov/business-wsdot/...2022%2C%202023.
If not, maybe point towards what you are referring to.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:54 AM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
It's not even close to equal for school funding. A relative was in a technical class that worked on RC solar cars that competed with all the other high schools. They had to go beg to local businesses for funds for the parts to build their car (less than $1,000). A school district showed up from a "Microsoft" area school with a custom van outfitted with racks of solar panels wired for all different light conditions and a very fancy custom carbon fiber chassis car, must have been like a $40K setup. The funny thing was their car was of course very fast but they couldn't drive very good hit a cone and broke it. Poor school's driver actually landed a 3rd place
movie, "Spare Parts'?

Old 01-20-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Yes. Do you think it would cost the same to run a school in Bellevue as it does Ellensburg?
The racism in the state of Washington by the urban elites is just amazing!!!

Ellensburg is full of white people, whose parents commute to Seattle, work at the University or a long-time local ranchers.

Ellensburg is fine.

Try Yakima:

Yakima School District contains 29 schools and 15,997 students. The district's minority enrollment is 80%. Also, 54.4% of students are economically disadvantaged.

Or Othello School District:

Othello School District contains 9 schools and 4,707 students. The district's minority enrollment is 90%. Also, 56.7% of students are economically disadvantaged.

The state of Washington historically sent MORE MONEY to Bellevue School District than Othello School District on a per student basis.

Non-English speaking students, rampant poverty, and worst yet parents that neither speak English or understand the American education system.

I moved to eastern Washington state from Idaho in 1980. For years I though Washington was ANOTHER poor impoverished state like Idaho was in the 1970's. It wasn't until we moved to Wenatchee that I discovered how wealthy Washington state was in all facets.

For years, I thought it was just a "lack of knowledge" about eastern Washington by western Washington politicians and leaders.

These days after McCleary decision I am convinced that it is just racism.

Washington leaders do not care about red and brown people. They honestly, believe in my opinion that a kid growing up in Bellevue is at more risk than a kid with non-English speaking parents growing up in Yakima or Othello.

You can only blame stupidity for so long. After awhile you just come to the conclusion that liberals are more guilty of racism than any conservative I have met.

All that aside, I would like the state of Washington to fund schools in Yakima and Othello at the same per student rate as Bellevue.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:34 PM

55 posts, read 47,824 times
Default Inslee, Murray and Ferguson are . .

...three good reasons for "term limits."

I like Dave Reichert. Unlike Patty and the Two Potatoes, I sense he knows what is needed to return Washington State to its genuine glory. I believe streets would be safer under his watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington