Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 07:40 PM

44 posts, read 36,247 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are couple in 40s, with 7 years old son. Currently we are in Shoreline. With our apartment rent increase and already used it for 7 years, we are planning to rent other place.
While searching, I came across one small individual house in Oak Harbor. This is near "499 SE Barrington Dr, Oak Harbor, WA 98277". Rent is low (I would save $400/month in comparison to now), it is individual house, with good rated elementary school nearby.
I can visit the place, but would look for opinions here. Nearby houses look run down, but usually we are isolated people. Apart from school, I will find if there are options for some sports community for kids, is there any?
Airport will be far, we may go not more than twice a year. My work is 100% WFH. Anything else, I should consider or think?
I visited Friday Harbor and other islands of San Juan, but not Oak Harbor.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 07:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
It's a beautiful place, we visit often, with friends a bit north in Cornet Bay. There is the noise from jets at the naval base, to consider. That has caused a drop in property values over the years, and made it more affordable. I would definitely spend time there during the day before deciding.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:30 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
A lot of retired military there, to be close to the Exchange/Commissary. Closest major shopping would be in Burlington.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:37 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
It's a place where you should not just tolerate, but enjoy, the sights and sounds of a Navy base and Naval Air station in particular.

If you look at loud jets overhead and say "Wow, Cool!" then it might be a good idea.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Compared to Shoreline, in terms of amenities/activities, it will be quite a bit quieter. Some folks think Oak Harbor is boring, while others think it's perfect because it's boring, lol. So, just make sure it lines up with what you want in a community.

I like the area overall. In terms of safety and vibes it's probably not that different than Shoreline honestly. And being close to Deception Pass, Coupeville, Anacortes is pretty sweet! I am friends with a family who grew up on Whidbey and they absolutely loved the experience and are highly successful people coming up through the school system.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:43 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's a beautiful place, we visit often, with friends a bit north in Cornet Bay. There is the noise from jets at the naval base, to consider. That has caused a drop in property values over the years, and made it more affordable. I would definitely spend time there during the day before deciding.
I agree, except, consider the noise may be at night not just during the day.
During one of my camping trips in Anacortes, there was some sort of exercise going on from about 1am-5am. Just when we'd be about back to sleep, we'd get buzzed again. It made for quite a long night and we were exhausted the next day. I'm one of those that would be "oh cool!" during the day, but a person has gotta sleep to function.
Not a lot there otherwise, you'll be looking at Anacortes or Burlington/Mt. Vernon for any major shopping ventures. Drive in/out limited to the windy/twisty route over deception pass bridge or ferries, complete with neck deep tourist traffic during the summer+. Great place to visit generally, one of my favs. But to live there? In my opinion no, but YMMV.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 11-07-2023 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-07-2023, 02:17 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Yeah, in the past 3 years the growler flights have increased to often fly much of the night and most days except Sunday. For north Whidbey, Island Co, Skagit County and parts of north Snohomish Co. you can get some ground-shaking noise. Get used to to your floors and windows rattling if you happen to be under a flight path.

The only way to know is to check out the individual address by standing there during some flights because it depends on where the property sits in relation to the flight paths. Some places further away are actually noisier than places close to Oak Harbor depending on how they fly.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:19 AM

44 posts, read 36,247 times
Thanks all.
Appreciate your help.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,365 times
I can’t say what it’s like to live there, but we like visiting. Both adults and kids are friendly at the parks and playgrounds. I don’t get a sense of the Seattle Freeze effect there. And there are the bumper stickers with I “heart” Jet Noise.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
As it turns out we'll be going over there this weekend. We have a few things planned, will explore a bit, but what I look forward to the most is stopping at Whidbey Pies in Langley, then eventually the Vinegar/Oil shop in Anacortes before heading back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington