Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 09:39 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times

Advertisements

A pie shop on Whidbey w/a vinegar oil shop at Anacortes?
I like the way you shop .

On another note,
I dig planes and even was in aviation during my military time.

One of our neighbors got a new seaplane last year and did a “touch and go” close to us.
The wife and I were all like “ewww and aww” cool.
After 10 or so passes we were kinda like ok now.
After what seemed like 25 or so we couldn’t hardly wait until he called it a day and stopped bothering us.

I view plane noise similar to gunfire.
One, two or a few not a big deal.
Turning your property that’s next to mine into a gun range not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 10:18 AM

44 posts, read 36,280 times
From what I am reading, jet noise seems to be a serious problem (for most).
Is it frequent ? I can go there today and visit for couple of hours. Will I get a feel, what it is like ?

Old 11-10-2023, 11:08 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
A couple hours isn't really a good gage. You may not hear any for a couple days or whole weekend, or you could end up in the flight path of a pair on an exercise in the middle of the night for hours.

Old 11-10-2023, 11:46 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
They aren't running exercises ALL the time. It will be periodically active, and then not. If you can check their website or social media for the base or their community pages. (I can't right now or I'd help with that!) they may announce when there will be air exercises and especially night exercises.

If you lived there, you'd definitely want to follow all that.

Old 11-10-2023, 12:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
They aren't running exercises ALL the time. It will be periodically active, and then not. If you can check their website or social media for the base or their community pages. (I can't right now or I'd help with that!) they may announce when there will be air exercises and especially night exercises.

Years ago we were camping overnight on Cranberry Lake near Deception Pass, and there was probably only 2-3 hours of noise the whole weekend. It was during the day, and we enjoyed seeing the jets flying by.

Old 11-10-2023, 01:24 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

They also run exercises off that schedule. In spite of the published schedule, there's no way to know exactly how intense the noise will be on any given day or night.

They used to stick pretty close to a schedule and have fewer flights (and a different type of plane that didn't rumble and shake the ground) years ago. Now you just never know.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:50 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,313 times
We bought a retirement condo, near the harbor, 4 years ago. We love it here. Living in the Olympic Shadow is fantastic. We came from 60" a year.
We can go all day without hearing a jet, and even then, they are just passing high over. But certainly different, as you go north of town. We gladly signed the noise awareness form. I golf at Gallery, with jets (and bullets) flying(gun range off the first tee. LOL). I just pause, and look up in awe. I respect that our US Navy was here, first. And they perform a critical mission here.
The base benefits I have now, came from President Trump, meaning, when we moved here, base benefits were not part of our decision, since I had none. So, Yes, it's an even better area for veterans.
Perfect size town, blue-collar demographics, great weather and outdoor activities. I would absolutely raise a family here, though I can see where it could be boring, for young folks.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
We bought a retirement condo, near the harbor, 4 years ago. We love it here. Living in the Olympic Shadow is fantastic. We came from 60" a year.
We can go all day without hearing a jet, and even then, they are just passing high over. But certainly different, as you go north of town. We gladly signed the noise awareness form. I golf at Gallery, with jets (and bullets) flying(gun range off the first tee. LOL). I just pause, and look up in awe. I respect that our US Navy was here, first. And they perform a critical mission here.
The base benefits I have now, came from President Trump, meaning, when we moved here, base benefits were not part of our decision, since I had none. So, Yes, it's an even better area for veterans.
Perfect size town, blue-collar demographics, great weather and outdoor activities. I would absolutely raise a family here, though I can see where it could be boring, for young folks.
I'll also add that politically, Oak Harbor is as close to evenly-divided you'll find in NW WA. Just north or south, Anacortes or Coupeville, not so much. Again, the military influence.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Take a look at Stanwood. It's on the mainland, and connects to Camano Island by a bridge. Some people love Standwood, others like Camano Island. Both are worth Checking out.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Take a look at Stanwood. It's on the mainland, and connects to Camano Island by a bridge. Some people love Standwood, others like Camano Island. Both are worth Checking out.
You'll need a rowboat in Stanwood, today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington