Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 06:04 PM

6,167 posts, read 4,547,843 times

Advertisements

I doubt there's any more to it. This scenario plays out across the country on an almost daily basis. People have been indoctrinated to have a deep hatred for homeless people. Maybe they should read up on rents and evictions and various other reasons people become homeless. I say this not to excuse anyone's bad behavior, be they housed or otherwise, but I came to this forum so close to the street that I can't even bear to think back on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 06:07 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,197,918 times
This is what we do when we want language to actually be LESS clear.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:09 AM

1,843 posts, read 821,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would have thought, that violent teen crime would be a relative rarity in Clallam Co.
No, unfortunately it is not at all rare, & has gotten much worse in the past few years, along with drug use, homelessness & crime in general, both violent & property crime, also vandalism & property destruction.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:55 AM

6,275 posts, read 3,431,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I doubt there's any more to it. This scenario plays out across the country on an almost daily basis. People have been indoctrinated to have a deep hatred for homeless people. Maybe they should read up on rents and evictions and various other reasons people become homeless. I say this not to excuse anyone's bad behavior, be they housed or otherwise, but I came to this forum so close to the street that I can't even bear to think back on it.
I doubt high rent and the prices of homes have a lot to do with being homeless...People on the street are there for several reasons...A life style, drugs, alcohol and mental issues are the leading reason there are homeless people. Throwing million at the homeless issue will not and I repeat will not cure homelessness.
Do I know how to fix this problem....no.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:56 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,680,056 times
The man probably has somewhere to live, like a car or RV with somewhere to park, so doesn't consider themselves to be homeless. I don't think we need to get into their personal life or make judgements on why they don't have a house, whether they choose to live that way or not - we know nothing about this man, it is bad taste to use him to make political points about homelessness.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:21 PM

1,066 posts, read 894,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
As the article says the boys were 15 and 17...name not released because of their age. Too show how smart they are they posted a video on social media.

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/n...-port-angeles/
I asked because I wanted to see the terminology you used in the article’s context. I couldn’t find “man without a house” referenced. I did see “Two youths charged in unhoused man assault” unhoused used more than one time. Maybe they edited the article later to remove confusion.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:18 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,095,250 times
I have gone down to that pier and there is normally quite a few teenagers there before 10 or so pm.
Most if not all that I’ve seen looked like decent kids.
In all the years since I’ve been coming and living here I don’t really think I’ve seen what I would call bad kids.
The worst I’ve seen was a couple kids smoking cigarettes at the skate park in Sequim and then the was the few goths one time.
I’m sure some smoke pot and go to kegger parties too.
This area is just not like Oakland or other big cities I’ve been to.
I would wager that the kids don’t have gangs here but who knows?
The area isn’t really over populated and I’m sure if you are a kid doing bad things the word will get out.
There is just not that many places to blend in here so people tend to know someone that knows someone that knows you.
I’m not saying that all the kids are good it’s just that when I see people I see more adults that look like they have chosen the wrong path than kids by a very large margin.
Yeah there are definitely more messed up adults here than kids is my thinking.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:50 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,389,454 times
Because "homeless" is considered to be pejorative by some?

Old 08-27-2023, 02:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,583,232 times
You don't need a FB account to look at all the pictures. PA is a mess, and has been for years. Substitute the four asterisks with a common word that begins with s.

https://www.facebook.com/PortAngelesLooksLike****/

-----------------------------

Old 08-28-2023, 10:13 AM

6,275 posts, read 3,431,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Because "homeless" is considered to be pejorative by some?
So is using the term A-hole but that doesn't make it less true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington