Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 07:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times

Advertisements

This forum has what 5 negative subject titles in a row?
I’m sort of wondering what we going to be #1 for next week?
That’s kind of a buzz kill ain’t it?

Most all these authors are not bad people, so please don’t think I’m jumping on them.

I was kinda just thinking that since it’s a Washington specific POC type thing that most others aren’t qualified to add their worthless opinions () to it, so we ought to have an area for just that and I guess and see nothing but “sunshine lollipops” on the main Washington page .

Instead of adding another city or regional area I propose we add a buzz kill zone or what ever you want to call it.

These negative issues are kinda dragging down a nice area.
It’s not that they are not true, I just think their own area might best.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 11:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Andy, I hear ya. Honestly, I think its more the nature of CD than anything. There are other PNW social media sites I also participate in that don't focus so much on that stuff. So, it kinda balances things out, I guess. But if you check the Oregon or California CD forums, its the same thing. Only on CA it gets way more political with certain CDers constantly ranting about the how the liberals are ruining the state, etc... I'm an old salty CD dog now after being on here since 2006. So, I've seen it all including some of the loudest most obnoxious come and go. I've also met some great friends on here too I ended up hanging out with IRL. So, I just kinda roll with it now. CD is a place many people go to blow off some steam. Some are crying in their beer while other have a legitimate gripe and its an outlet to get it off their chest. I like to help answer questions for newbies possibly moving to the area like I did CA.

Normally, I'm always trying to post positive stuff too. But if something is messed up, I'll likely add my 2c as well. It's just a place to converse about all things WA including the good, the bad and the ugly. Sometimes on the CA forum, there was so much negatively someone would start a positive post such as 'what do you like most about living in CA?' Or 'what's your favorite CA vacation location and why?' Or look for a good news story about CA or WA in this case and post it. That's the best way to throw some balance in the mix. But the CD culture does tend to lean more toward to the negative Nancy news and/or rants. That's why I balance it with other sites as well knowing it for what it is.

Derek

Old 06-28-2023, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I think this is because we somehow feel better after venting about something bothering us. It probably does no good, as far as correcting the problem, but we are able to get it off our chests. Our local neighborhood forum is the same way, in fact someone just posted a verisimilar thought there, about all the negativity. The thing is, our city has been named the "Safest" in the country by a couple of different national organizations, and City Data rates the crime index at as 44.6 (national average is 254.8 and lower is less crime). Recently, in the last year however, instead of just the occasional mail theft, we are getting a lot of porch pirates, car prowls, catalytic converter thefts, and even had a home invasion with shooting.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:24 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
The C-D is supposed to be a forum to help people with moving decisions. Shouldn't they be tipped off to the bad about a state instead of only reading glowing recommendations? Like the forum is published by the tourist board? Hide the homeless issue and let them be surprised when they arrive?

Old 06-28-2023, 09:52 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
Yeah, I agree with the points given.
I guess I was just venting too.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:15 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
It isn't confined to the CD forums, "it" being the politicization of everything. Social media has provided a soap box for the worst of humanity, the easily triggered, the confrontative types, the maladjusted, those who feel their every thought must be shared with others, and worse--the perennially dissatisfied people who make us wonder if they could ever be happy.

The politics of an area matters somewhat when choosing to relocate, and politics has a legit place in our daily lives, but to suppose that the political climate of a particular region, state, or city, will be the deciding factor in one's choice of where to live seems pretty silly. The news media has picked up on the lucrative aspects of the nation's political divide and all too often provide the political junkies with their morning "trigger event," causing many to jump on the puter and howl about the latest end-of-the-world event.

https://www.thebulwark.com/political...our-democracy/

I read a lot of political news, but seldom feel a need to get on the web and complain about what I read. Washington state has undergone some huge sea changes with regard to its population explosion, with all the changes that go along with the addition of five million people from a count of two million in the forties. The state isn't paradise nor is it Hell with a view, so why all the complaining? Whether it's the gas tax, Covid restraints, the homeless, etc, it is where I've spent my life, but I'm a realist who has never expected to live where the state is tailor made--just for me..

Old 06-28-2023, 01:38 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The C-D is supposed to be a forum to help people with moving decisions. Shouldn't they be tipped off to the bad about a state instead of only reading glowing recommendations? Like the forum is published by the tourist board? Hide the homeless issue and let them be surprised when they arrive?
Exactly. I've been called all kinds of names for my negative views, but the truth is this state has rapidly become one of the poorest ran in the country. It's now having right-in-your-face negative effects on pretty much every aspect of life here. I have watched most of my friends, coworkers and family from a variety of political leanings leave this state. Those few that move in (new friends and co-workers) end up feeling duped/mislead and do not end up staying. Moving is a big expensive life decision, I'd want to see all the facts up front, wouldn't you? We complain here because we can still be heard here. Do you know what Bellingham did to their city hall meetings? So many people were showing up complaining about the drugs, crime, and homeless camps, that they cut the public comment time in half and limited each person to 3 minutes...ie they don't want to hear it and aren't going to do anything.

Old 06-28-2023, 04:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
See? Even this thread has now been completely taken over by crazy people.

It’s best to ignore and participate in your own good news with the few people here who aren’t completely taken over by darkness.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:24 PM

367 posts, read 304,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
See? Even this thread has now been completely taken over by crazy people.
Ur a crazy people.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 799,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
This forum has what 5 negative subject titles in a row?
I’m sort of wondering what we going to be #1 for next week?
That’s kind of a buzz kill ain’t it?

Most all these authors are not bad people, so please don’t think I’m jumping on them.

I was kinda just thinking that since it’s a Washington specific POC type thing that most others aren’t qualified to add their worthless opinions () to it, so we ought to have an area for just that and I guess and see nothing but “sunshine lollipops” on the main Washington page .

Instead of adding another city or regional area I propose we add a buzz kill zone or what ever you want to call it.

These negative issues are kinda dragging down a nice area.
It’s not that they are not true, I just think their own area might best.
Thank you.

Maybe contact the Washington forum moderator(s)?? Maybe look at TOS and see if there has been a violation on the Washington forum?? Oh, just in case I forgot what it meant, I just looked up the definition of the word "forum". Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington