Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 11:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I read a lot of political news, but seldom feel a need to get on the web and complain about what I read. Washington state has undergone some huge sea changes with regard to its population explosion, with all the changes that go along with the addition of five million people from a count of two million in the forties. The state isn't paradise nor is it Hell with a view, so why all the complaining? Whether it's the gas tax, Covid restraints, the homeless, etc, it is where I've spent my life, but I'm a realist who has never expected to live where the state is tailor made--just for me..
I can't add more reputation to your profile but... wish I could for this. I grew up in the dirt poor Appalachian Mountains and compared to that, Washington state is pretty good. Not the best, but far from the worst.

So many folks living in the US now have highly entitled worldviews and are multiple generations away from war, poverty, malnutrition, or lack of education, and it's starting to show up in how people view and judge their own experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 12:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The C-D is supposed to be a forum to help people with moving decisions. Shouldn't they be tipped off to the bad about a state instead of only reading glowing recommendations? Like the forum is published by the tourist board? Hide the homeless issue and let them be surprised when they arrive?
This ^^^

There is plenty of "Chamber of Commerce" ads (personal threads) on the C-D forums (including WA)
Often it is a back patting effort "See, look at me I made the BEST decision to move here, it's just for ME". Pretty much a 'gag-a-maggot' pep talk for pumping up themselves. (Colorado forum is premier at this, Texas is quickly runner up, nearly all those posters are from 'you-know-where', it's a 'learned behavior')

Freedom of the press.

Then the Seattle posts "Only positive comments allowed to post" "No Seattle Freeze comments allowed"

Yes dear, we hear and acknowledge you. You're very special and cute... carry on.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:15 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
I also think that in the PNW, there's an "if we ignore the issue, it will eventually go away" attitude, since that's kind of how this area developed. But now Seattle is a giant urban metro, with urban problems and they will have to face them like older cities in more developed areas have had to.

Seattle is fortunate that it has been pretty good for a long time, mostly because it's way out here at the western edge of the continent with lots of natural resources, has an ok not great climate and wasn't a huge draw in the past. So it could coast along (no pun intended).

So now people have strong opinions on both sides because some of these issues need tackling (like homelessness), or will soon if they continue down the path they're on. And no one can agree on how to do it.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:22 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Yeah, I agree with the points given.
I guess I was just venting too.
And just like everyone else on here, you are allowed to vent a little bit. It's nice that you are not unreasonable. Your complaints are pretty mild, they actually have a point to them, and they do start a bit of discussion.

It's not possible to have much interesting discussions when everyone simply agrees of every issue and all you get is a bunch of head nodding and self-congratulation..

Old 06-29-2023, 07:28 PM

1,827 posts, read 808,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I also think that in the PNW, there's an "if we ignore the issue, it will eventually go away" attitude, since that's kind of how this area developed. But now Seattle is a giant urban metro, with urban problems and they will have to face them like older cities in more developed areas have had to.
Truth. And that applies to the entire west side of the state. I can't speak to east of the Cascades.

I am glad I live here but it would have been so helpful if I had known about certain things in advance; I would have been better prepared to cope with them. I share what I do to try to educate others as to what to expect & it won't always be positive because, as others have pointed out, that would be the Chamber of Commerce version, which is certainly not real life.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:44 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
I understand Andy's gripe about griping. lol I used to do the same on the CA forum. I eventually realized it wasn't going to change much beyond what I was willing to contribute. I also understand what others say about not painting it as all rainbows and unicorns. From my POV, to be intellectually honest with potential relocators, you need to give the good, the bad and the ugly - all of it. However, what ends up really happening is that when only the bad and ugly are focused on like the 5 o'clock news, it ends up being very lopsided. And that is used as justification to only post complaints and rants (i.e. gotta be real, man). This is also used as a thinly veiled guise for the message: "thanks for visiting WA, now go home! We're full." That's a real sentiment even among many transplants who have already 'staked their claim, paid their dues' and don't like any more newbies moving in.

The bottom line for newcomers is that they have to take what they read on CD with a Big grain of salt if they hope to wade through what life would really be like for them. That includes the horrible weather that rains 10 months out the year, the ways the liberals are ruining the state, yada, yada yada. Not saying its all roses. But there are some roses that come with the thorns of life in the PNW and they are actually quite beautiful.

Like I told most of the people that constantly complained on the CA forum, please go explore someplace new. Life is too short to torture yourself while hating living in a place and tormenting others while you do with constant whining. Sometimes you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. There's nothing wrong with experiencing life somewhere new which may be 'better' in whatever ways that that looks like to you. Its why I left Colorado and California when I did, neither of which are horrible places in and of themselves. It was simply my time to move on. I think sometimes folks need to arrive at 'totally disgusted' with their situation first before getting the impetus and gumption to actually make a change. It takes work to move and it can be hard. But a change of scenery can be a healthy thing especially when stuck in a rut and tired of where one lives. Life is too short to wonder 'what if' I had moved to <fill in the blank>? You'll never know unless you try....

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-29-2023 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2023, 11:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
This forum has what 5 negative subject titles in a row?
I’m sort of wondering what we going to be #1 for next week?
That’s kind of a buzz kill ain’t it?.
Well how about finding something positive to post then? The reason they post it is to find out the opinions of others I have posted in certain groups just to get an idea of how people thought about certain situations.

It's not a buzz kill this is being informative certain sections of the state may have issues but I'm looking at the general statewide issues and I'm pretty sure they are too.

However not every city has their own forum link Tri-Cities then there's Seattle, Spokane & Vancouver but we don't see anything for Walla Walla, Yakima, Ocean Shores or Issaquah there's a lot more to Washington than just or 8 large cities.

Old 07-03-2023, 02:43 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The C-D is supposed to be a forum to help people with moving decisions. Shouldn't they be tipped off to the bad about a state instead of only reading glowing recommendations? Like the forum is published by the tourist board? Hide the homeless issue and let them be surprised when they arrive?
Totally agree.

I've lived in this state for my entire 48 years of life, so I think my opinion, while maybe not extremely wise, is at least experienced.

And I have only recently, but severely, become disillusioned with this state's government. I don't necessarily think that this state's issues are a product of just this state, but the sad state of extreme politization of the country as a whole. Just turns out Washington is leaning the opposite way that I am.

But, on the other hand, maybe someone who enjoys a governor who punishes the people of the state with a new gas "tax" (at a time of record inflation) in order to further his own personal climate crusade. Or someone who wants to pay for a first-of-the-nation long-term-care tax that is being pushed-forward despite poor planning and almost universal opposition. Maybe they would love it here.

Guess I'm being negative...

Old 07-03-2023, 11:26 PM

1,827 posts, read 808,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Guess I'm being negative...
Not allowed! Off with your head!

Old 07-07-2023, 01:32 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,856 times
There is unfortunately, alot of problems with Washington these days. An article came out claiming that our population has grown 60% in the last 30 years yet we only have 33% more housing in the same timeframe. Medical care and pharmacy availability have become huge issues. Few to no doctors taking new patients, pharmacies on reduced hours and unable to fill prescriptions and only open 8am-3pm because they only have one pharmacist, months to wait to see pulmonology, cardiology, hematology, even with a critical reference. Being rich, which of course solves most of the WA State problems, isn't going to get your heart looked at sooner, and "go to the ER if you have a problem in the meantime" while you wait 6 months to see cardiology is somehow not comforting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington