Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 03:40 PM

1,321 posts, read 872,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Uhh, do you really think recreation and weather are better in Arizona than Washington? LOL
100%. I've lived in both places, and there is way more to do in Washington than in Arizona, especially at this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 04:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,062,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
100%. I've lived in both places, and there is way more to do in Washington than in Arizona, especially at this time of year.
I have lived in both places and currently have homes in both places.

There is WAY MORE to do in Arizona than Washington this time of year. Time shifting in summer is great in Arizona.

It is just as hot in Wenatchee as in Tucson this time of year. I cannot stand rain, and it is just awful in Tucson. It rains more in Tucson in the summer, than the total precipitation in Wenatchee!!

I bought another home, just 10 miles from Wenatchee to get out of the heat during summer.

Not a fan of Arizona or Washington. But if you pick and chose by elevation you can find "tolerable" weather and landscapes.

I dealt with the awful weather in Wenatchee, while working so in some ways have trapped myself in Washington state and Arizona with retirement.

Oh well, not that many years left and as long as I can travel between the two states it is fine.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:36 PM

319 posts, read 279,535 times
Washington to California would be like moving from New York to Connecticut, its the same thing.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:12 PM

1,321 posts, read 872,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I have lived in both places and currently have homes in both places.

There is WAY MORE to do in Arizona than Washington this time of year. Time shifting in summer is great in Arizona.

It is just as hot in Wenatchee as in Tucson this time of year. I cannot stand rain, and it is just awful in Tucson. It rains more in Tucson in the summer, than the total precipitation in Wenatchee!!

I bought another home, just 10 miles from Wenatchee to get out of the heat during summer.

Not a fan of Arizona or Washington. But if you pick and chose by elevation you can find "tolerable" weather and landscapes.

I dealt with the awful weather in Wenatchee, while working so in some ways have trapped myself in Washington state and Arizona with retirement.

Oh well, not that many years left and as long as I can travel between the two states it is fine.
At this time of year in the lower elevation parts of AZ (where most of the people live), there's very little to do. You can go swimming but that's about it for outdoor activities. You can go early morning hiking, but it's still hot and the hiking is better in WA anyway.

In WA, I can go berry picking, crabbing, riding a ferry to the San Juan islands, kayaking in saltwater, whale watching, hiking in rainforests, and climbing snow-capped mountains. I can't do any of these things in AZ.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:59 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,721,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
Washington to California would be like moving from New York to Connecticut, its the same thing.
Not really. That is unless politics is all that's on your mind (very common among the CD crowd). Even SoCal is quite a bit different from NorCal let alone WA state. One can be snowing while the other is a balmy 70 degrees under palm trees at the beach. Culture is quite a bit different as are the cities, suburbs and overall geography of these places. The largest cities in CA are right on the Pacific unlike anything in the PNW. COL is different. Population and densities are hugely different. Though some WA cities like Seattle are catching up. By contrast, if you're sitting in NY or TX, the entire west coast might all appear the same.

Derek

Old 06-26-2023, 07:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,062,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
At this time of year in the lower elevation parts of AZ (where most of the people live), there's very little to do. You can go swimming but that's about it for outdoor activities. You can go early morning hiking, but it's still hot and the hiking is better in WA anyway.

In WA, I can go berry picking, crabbing, riding a ferry to the San Juan islands, kayaking in saltwater, whale watching, hiking in rainforests, and climbing snow-capped mountains. I can't do any of these things in AZ.
I had a great time in Arizona during the summer. BUT you do have to time shift.

On the other hand I have lived in Washington state for 42 years.

I have made 10 or more personal trips to western Washington. A large percentage got rained out. It was cold and cloudy in SUMMER for a large number of those trips. I don't count business trips since those were NOT scheduled around the weather.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/201...ane-ridge.html

One trip it got up to 82 degrees and the humidity was so bad I might as well have been in the mid west.

Wenatchee weather is just as awful as Seattle from Thanksgiving to President's Day. July and August are just as hot as Tucson. Leaving March, April, May, June, and mid-September to November with decent weather.

There are exceptional days everywhere, but in Arizona every morning and evening in the dead of summer was perfect for outdoor activities.

Arizona is nice from October through May. The remaining four months are fine if you time shift.

BUT both places, are pretty bad when it comes to year round weather, but I will take Tucson over Wenatchee.

Last edited by 509; 06-26-2023 at 08:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 08:31 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,721,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I had a great time in Arizona during the summer. BUT you do have to time shift.

On the other hand I have lived in Washington state for 42 years.

I have made 10 or more personal trips to western Washington. A large percentage got rained out. It was cold and cloudy in SUMMER for a large number of those trips. I don't count business trips since those were NOT scheduled around the weather.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/201...ane-ridge.html

One trip it got up to 82 degrees and the humidity was so bad I might as well have been in the mid west.

Wenatchee weather is just as awful as Seattle from Thanksgiving to President's Day. July and August are just as hot as Tucson. Leaving March, April, May, June, and mid-September to November with decent weather.

There are exceptional days everywhere, but in Arizona every morning and evening in the dead of summer was perfect for outdoor activities.

Arizona is nice from October through May. The remaining four months are fine if you time shift.

BUT both places, are pretty bad when it comes to year round weather, but I will take Tucson over Wenatchee.
Pick your poison. Everyone has different heat/cold tolerances and thresholds. I think AZ definitely has its charms especially in the other seasons. But summer is nasty hot like most arid desert type climates. Of course, eastern WA is a similar summer climate. That's really where WWA shines in comparison. For example, here the next two weeks for both with Seattle temps near perfection in the mid to upper 70s. While Wenatchee is the too hot, cloudless and climbing the rest of the summer category.

Once fire season kicks in, the eastside is almost inhumane due to air quality and trapped smoke. Last year might have been the worst with the all the fires colliding and burning for so long into fall. It was really bad. Not sure if AZ gets those to the same degree during summer months. But I wouldn't wish that on anyone besides though who are shut-ins. Then it doesn't really matter. Just watch TV and sit in A/C day and night. Wear some kind of mask when you have to go out for supplies or have them delivered. Hopefully, you had an escape route to your AZ home. I love AZ in the fall especially Oak Creek Canyon.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-26-2023 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-27-2023, 06:29 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,741,326 times
We have a few relatives(and the assessor) that spend most of the year in AZ and just RV here in the summer. They have been trimming back their WA time due to the smoke and everything being so expensive and crowded.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:49 PM

319 posts, read 279,535 times
I liked Washington when I had the opportunity to call it home years ago. I'm back in Virginia now, the east coast was where I was born and raised. I remember the Jack In The Box, Winchells Doughnuts? Snowboarded Mt. Hood, it was a very pretty state but rainy a lot. The town was called Longview, had a local college and all.

California to me is skateboarding, hot rods, the beach, I was an east coast skateboarder back in the day and I would have loved to be out in California at that time but California today is in a lot of turmoil. Such a beautiful state that inspired some pretty cool things I don't know nor have the power to change the future of that place.

And why would you take the Raiders out of Oakland?

Old 06-29-2023, 10:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,089,681 times
One of the main reasons I spend more time here than in California is because it’s too hot in California.
Arizona might be nice for a short visit but doesn’t it get way too hot there?

I once did a contract job at the Coca-Cola plant in Phoenix and I accidentally left my 12” crescent wrench on the roof.
I had to climb 30 feet of ladder to get back on the roof to get my wrench.
When I got there 30-45 minutes later the wrench was too hot to hold.
I had tough hands at the time and it was still too hot to hold so I had to return with welding gloves to pick up my wrench.
That is what I think of Arizona but I’m kind of a wimp to higher temps.

Also comparing California/Washington to New York/Connecticut is humorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington