Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 01:07 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times

Advertisements

Received notification of new values which is up double digits...

Is property ownership sustainable in the long term for those on fixed retirement income?

I know there is a mechanism in place for those that qualify to limit or freeze.

For those that don't do you move or keep working in your golden years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 08:19 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Received notification of new values which is up double digits...

Is property ownership sustainable in the long term for those on fixed retirement income?

I know there is a mechanism in place for those that qualify to limit or freeze.

For those that don't do you move or keep working in your golden years?
Or both. I had a friend who was facing this. He lived in the home he grew up in, in Seattle. He was paying off a mortgage he took out when his brother required him to buy out the brother's share as their inheritance. So he had to keep working. Plus of course, there were property taxes to pay, which kept going up. He finally faced the fact,that he'd have to move, and find an alternative residence that offered workshop space for his business. I found some buildings in West Seattle that offered combined live-work space that were very affordable.

Unfortunately, he passed away from illness before he could initiate anything relating to a move. But I can't imagine he'd have been able to clear out his place of all the accumulated stuff. This can be an issue for seniors facing the disruption of a move due to property tax hikes. Imagine a lifetime of accumulated things, including for some couples--the extra furniture in guest rooms/adult kids' rooms, and having to downsize all of that. Clear out clutter, if any, and so on.

Depending on people's age at the time, it could be too stressful, unless they can get family help.

When was this mechanism put in place, for people who qualify for limiting or freezing the tax hikes? This is the first I've heard of it.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
slowly ridding household belonging,either donate to Salvation Army or local charity or sell on EBAY or just trash it.
Not long ago our Salvation Army is asking for slightly used items,they will come and pick them up.

Old 06-10-2023, 12:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
WA property tax relief requires a very low income. IIRC, the tax reduction is a deferral that is liened against your estate, (with interest) and collected upon your demise.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:01 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WA property tax relief requires a very low income. IIRC, the tax reduction is a deferral that is liened against your estate, (with interest) and collected upon your demise.
Correct, seems predatory to me.
My grandmother had both SSI and a pension, house paid off, yet was $4000/year over the income limit for a tax break and was losing over $1000/month due to $7,200/year property taxes and $200+/month taxes/fees levied on various utilities. Her home was built new and furnished in 1994 for a total of $180K. Luckily? She passed last fall and still had about 18 months worth of savings left.
We had this discussion at work, only two high earning co-workers who inherited homes and big money were going to be able to stay, the rest (over 50 people) aren't going to be able to retire here. Move out or work until you die.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Our property tax is now at about $12,000 here in Sammamish, and I plan to retire late this year. With the 60% reduction in income, but still making way too much for any kind of relief, we will be moving to a less expensive area. We will also downsize, will be looking for a smaller house on more land. What's left of our mortgage is $1,400/month, but the payment with tax and insurance is $2,600 now. So far in the last two years 4 of our neighbors that bought new here in the late 70s have retired and moved to places like Chelan, Anacortes, Bellingham and Gig Harbor.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:10 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
The Bellingham area still has a lack of supply, despite its plummet to the bottom 4% on crime and safety.
Anything that is a liveable house in the county on 2+ acres is north of a million dollars despite 7% interest rates. 6 of 10 buyers are paying cash.
Hemlock, that's silly, but not surprising. Our house isn't even landscaped yet and property taxes are already 1/3rd of the payment.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:15 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our property tax is now at about $12,000 here in Sammamish, and I plan to retire late this year. With the 60% reduction in income, but still making way too much for any kind of relief, we will be moving to a less expensive area. We will also downsize, will be looking for a smaller house on more land. What's left of our mortgage is $1,400/month, but the payment with tax and insurance is $2,600 now. So far in the last two years 4 of our neighbors that bought new here in the late 70s have retired and moved to places like Chelan, Anacortes, Bellingham and Gig Harbor.
I would not mind moving to those places in retirement. You could take up sailing.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I would not mind moving to those places in retirement. You could take up sailing.
Sailing has been pretty nice in Greece the last few months. It's not too expensive to live here. (But my 90 days are up).
I actually prefer Croatia (cheaper yet).

My monthly WA property taxes are 2x my highest ever mortgage, whether I'm home or not. Hotels do the housekeeping and laundry and provide breakfast for the same price as my WA property taxes. Assessor needs to step-it-up a bit.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Our notice from King County arrived yesterday, and I was amazed to see that it actually reflected the current market reality, with the assessed value dropping from $1.35 million to just $1.06 million. Unfortunately, the tax bill based on the higher amount has already been rendered and the first half paid in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington