Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:34 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wa...caac08cc&ei=82

Now, granted, Fox News may be blowing this thing out of proportion, but how is this even put up for a vote? Much less moving-on after approval?

What chance in hell do the Libs think that this will hold-up in a federal court?

And if this is true, what's to stop me from moving to Idaho as soon as I have an inkling that my kid is "questioning"?

Either way, I have got to get out of this state....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 10:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Yeah, go for it, Idaho might suit you better.

I happen to be a HS teacher and I can promise you that many parents are absolutely NOT fit to be parents.

At present I have one student who was beaten to the point of hospitalization and thrown out of his home for being gay. Not trans, just ordinary gay. He is now couch surfing at a friends house while he is trying to get his HS degree. He understandably wants nothing to do with his parents.

I have another 15 year old student who's parents are meth-heads. Dad is currently in prison and mom just up and disappeared and left him alone in an apartment from which he was evicted because he had no way to pay the rent. He now lives in a small apartment with his 24 year old sister who tries to be a mom to him but she is struggling to keep afloat on her own and apparently has an abusive boyfriend.

A couple years ago I had a student who was rescued from one of those crazy deranged homes where the religious freak dad was keeping the kids locked up in the basement with literally no contact with the outside world until he was finally turned in by a suspicious neighbor. She was extremely messed up and as a 9th grader couldn't read or write and had no real social skills due to the forced isolation and abuse.

These sorts of stories are all too common in this state (and every other) and are the sorts of kids this law is intended to protect when they wind up taking refuge from abusive home situations. The whole trans thing amplified by Fox News is a side issue from the main issue that there are kids who are abused and tossed out of their homes by unfit parents every day of the year. And those kinds of parents, when they behave like that, basically forfeit having a say in their kid's future.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:07 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Thank you, Texasdiver for thoughtful and informative response. High school teachers have the hardest job I can imagine and what you see at the ground level.

I don’t really know any trans youths but I can imagine it isn’t an easy thing to deal with. So, this hysteria about their rights seems odd. I looked up who is driving the campaign to suppress their rights and how come this is the hot button issue for a certain party and its organs. The following article from Mother Jones seems to shed some light on that.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...hildren-lgbtq/

Old 04-18-2023, 08:46 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Having the common sense to not want to do irreversible damage to kids and being told yeah go ahead and leave and go to Idaho because you will fit in better there really says a lot about this situation.

Most people don’t really care about about a persons sexual orientation or who they think they are until it starts effecting the children or starts getting shoved down their throats.

I feel it’s like 2-3% or less that might be trans and the additional 35% that just want to protest, start havoc, self promote or change how we raise our kids.

I actually know several trans people and they don’t want to be the center of attention.
I’d be leery of those that do, maybe the ones smashing women sports or schilling lite beer.
Those folks are just a bit out there and probably don’t represent this group properly.

People shouldn’t have to move or be encouraged to move because they don’t agree with the current ideas.
That just seems like a way to purge an area.

Yeah no, I am not moving and I’m going to loudly complain every time somebody proposes nonsense.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:06 AM

6,221 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I happen to be a HS teacher and I can promise you that many parents are absolutely NOT fit to be parents.
And some teachers aren't fit to be teachers.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, go for it, Idaho might suit you better.

At present I have one student who was beaten to the point of hospitalization and thrown out of his home for being gay. Not trans, just ordinary gay. He is now couch surfing at a friends house while he is trying to get his HS degree. He understandably wants nothing to do with his parents.

I have another 15 year old student who's parents are meth-heads. Dad is currently in prison and mom just up and disappeared and left him alone in an apartment from which he was evicted because he had no way to pay the rent. He now lives in a small apartment with his 24 year old sister who tries to be a mom to him but she is struggling to keep afloat on her own and apparently has an abusive boyfriend.

A couple years ago I had a student who was rescued from one of those crazy deranged homes where the religious freak dad was keeping the kids locked up in the basement with literally no contact with the outside world until he was finally turned in by a suspicious neighbor. She was extremely messed up and as a 9th grader couldn't read or write and had no real social skills due to the forced isolation and abuse.

These sorts of stories are all too common in this state (and every other) and are the sorts of kids this law is intended to protect when they wind up taking refuge from abusive home situations. The whole trans thing amplified by Fox News is a side issue from the main issue that there are kids who are abused and tossed out of their homes by unfit parents every day of the year. And those kinds of parents, when they behave like that, basically forfeit having a say in their kid's future.
So, the liberal answer to bad parents is to ensure that all parents, even good ones that don't fit the liberal stereotype, have no rights?

Old 04-18-2023, 11:45 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Kids who are abused and tossed out of their homes by unfit parents every day of the year. And those kinds of parents, when they behave like that, basically forfeit having a say in their kid's future.
America has long been dodging a bullet that is our broken Foster Care system. Tons of kids are dumped on the streets everyday by parents, or from their emancipation at age eighteen from the Foster Care system. Many are among the social outcast class, gays, the "slow," the abused, the drug addicted etc.

Parental rights, not a kid's sexuality, is the center of this controversial piece of legislation, and most people never entertain the thought that way too many parents are absolutely unfit for that task. The issue then becomes more political fodder for those who seem triggered by every move the state makes. Ignoring the real issue, parental rights, and who shall restrain those rights in the interest of the child, only puts off the possibility that we as a society may be able to help kids who have been in the system-too long, been abused-too long, and been ignored way too long.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
So, the liberal answer to bad parents is to ensure that all parents, even good ones that don't fit the liberal stereotype, have no rights?
No, of course parents have rights. And they should be involved in their kids lives and medical decisions.

This law isn't about that. This law is about giving kids who have been abused or abandoned a legal mechanism to say, "I don't want my abusive parents in my life"

If you are an ordinary family with a trans kid of course you are going to be involved in their life and medical decisions. As you should be. Just like you would be involved if your kid had any other medical issues like leukemia or muscular dystrophy or depression.

But for those instances where parents have abdicated that responsibility and throw their kids out of the house, abuse them, or otherwise show themselves to be unfit parents, this law gives kids the autonomy to make their own decisions. Of course they will still have to deal with medical bureaucracies. There actually aren't a lot of doctors who do this so waiting lists are long to even just get an initial appointment for a consultation. So we are talking about a year's long process. Kids don't just decide they are trans and get surgery that weekend. Or even that year.

The number of minors under age 18 who even get any kind of transgender surgery is extremely small. Just a few thousand on a nationwide basis. More kids die in farm accidents every year than get gender reassignment surgery. So I'm not sure what the hysteria is about. Many more kids die every year from things like drug overdoses, traffic accidents, firearms, etc.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No, of course parents have rights. And they should be involved in their kids lives and medical decisions.

This law isn't about that. This law is about giving kids who have been abused or abandoned a legal mechanism to say, "I don't want my abusive parents in my life"

If you are an ordinary family with a trans kid of course you are going to be involved in their life and medical decisions. As you should be. Just like you would be involved if your kid had any other medical issues like leukemia or muscular dystrophy or depression.

But for those instances where parents have abdicated that responsibility and throw their kids out of the house, abuse them, or otherwise show themselves to be unfit parents, this law gives kids the autonomy to make their own decisions. Of course they will still have to deal with medical bureaucracies. There actually aren't a lot of doctors who do this so waiting lists are long to even just get an initial appointment for a consultation. So we are talking about a year's long process. Kids don't just decide they are trans and get surgery that weekend. Or even that year.

The number of minors under age 18 who even get any kind of transgender surgery is extremely small. Just a few thousand on a nationwide basis. More kids die in farm accidents every year than get gender reassignment surgery. So I'm not sure what the hysteria is about. Many more kids die every year from things like drug overdoses, traffic accidents, firearms, etc.
This law is to change the current law to allow the Mighty Dem State Government to take more control.

This is literally taking control of a parent's rights by allowing a child to claim that their parents are abusive because they don't agree with the current liberal trends in gender dysphoria.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:42 PM

I find it amusing that Washington state is so far the ONLY state to have a law like this get advanced this far, but yet, the Democrats and the liberal media keep trying to portray the MULTIPLE states that have passed bans on transgender medical inference on minors as the "extremists". Apparently there are a lot more extremists than "normal" liberal states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: