Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,758 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Hubby and I are relocating with our two kids to W. Washington in the next 3-6 months. However, we are struggling to narrow down where we want to live (rent first, eventually buy). The biggest problem - his new job is in the center of Seattle, and my potential jobs (still lining things up) are mostly in the Olympia/Lacey area. Everything I've read suggests the commute between both is horrendous!

We've talked about Tacoma, but I'm really hesitant about the size (I prefer smaller, Olympia-sized cities). I'm also hesitant about safety and the school system (which has terrible ratings in Tacoma!). I want to be in an area with good schools for kids. I'd also prefer that one of us works near where kids go to school in case of a sick kid/other school day emergency, rather than have both of us commute out during the workday.

Sooo..is the Olympia to Seattle commute that terrible? Are there other places to live in between the two that might be worth checking out? Suggestions on areas with good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 03:28 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
The commute will be bad. How bad depends on what your working hours will be.
There are places between the two - Puyallup, maybe, but you will both have bad commutes and neither will be near the kids.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:35 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
If you are seriously considering this, you first need to visit and do the drive during rush hour at least for week. Seriously, it's a nightmare and there's no getting around it. There are hundreds of thousands of people on the freeways and roads at that time. Many times, in addition to the usual gridlock, there are accidents which completely stop traffic. That is no way to start your morning before work... or finally making it home afterwards. One or both of you will have miserable, draining drives. Then add in our winter driving conditions where there will be ice on the roads while driving in the dark on the shorter days of winter and even more accidents. It won't be long before you begin questioning your decision especially while living the nightmare during stop and go rush hour traffic for miles... and miles....

Honestly, I would not do it. IMO, it will be far better for one of you to concede to work near the other for the kids sake as well as your own sanity. That added daily stress will takes it toll on you and the entire family. That may mean one taking a lower paying job while saving their sanity or spouse's. But surely you can find something in such large cities without having to resort to that daily death march. There are simply too many people and cars on the road during this time. That section between Seattle and Olympia has the worst traffic in the entire PNW. Next would be Seattle heading north. The infrastructure was never designed to handle the number of people who attempt to use it daily.

Seattle ranks 2nd worst commute time in US, report finds

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-19-2023 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,758 times
Thanks for the insight, it sounds miserable and probably not worth it in the long run. How is the commute from north (like Everett) heading into Seattle?

Old 02-19-2023, 04:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Consider the jobs, but focus on the family.
Live as close to the best and most demanding job (walking distance if possible).
Don't task a spouse with a commute if possible (we were single earners, and working nights for 30 yrs solved my commute problems.). Today there are more options, and my last gig was USA based, but Asia reporting (working nights!).

One of my kid's is downtown Seattle based, and bikes from Queen Anne. Nice view!
You'll need to compromise, but spend as much time together as family as is possible. And don't complicate with dangerous or long commute. Kids (at home) are a very short term project, treasure that privilege. (Even if it means not working and conserving funds). Just make it fun, it's never coming back. Poof, they're gone. You can go back to work then, if you must.

Pencil out the home purchase economics.

Renting can be much cheaper than owning in an inflated housing market.
Your RE dollars could be working for you in a cheaper market, spinning off cash flows so you can easily pay rent in Seattle, Saipan, Sydney, Stockholm, or Singapore.... The kids will love it! (Great for the resume too)

Old 02-19-2023, 04:33 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted-Avo View Post
Thanks for the insight, it sounds miserable and probably not worth it in the long run. How is the commute from north (like Everett) heading into Seattle?
So many people have moved north into Snohomish County for cheaper housing that the commute is horrible. If you can use mass transit it can be more doable. Edmonds is a nice town that you can commute to Seattle from. It's still not a great commute but better than any place north of Edmonds.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:39 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted-Avo View Post
Roasted-Avo, while I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Seattle traffic is really bad and there's no way to sugar coat that fact beyond the obvious truth of it. Every city has its pluses and minuses. And traffic is a major problem for Seattleites.

There will definitely be big traffic jams into and out of Seattle from the north as well. Expect over an hour each way. Some days will be worse taking longer due to accidents. It's common knowledge that the commute is bad into Seattle from the north also. Your best bet is to live as close into the city as possible. And Everett, unfortunately, is not that close relative to the amount of traffic flow into/out of the city daily. Its a big choke point for many commuters.

Study: Everett is worst city in U.S. for time spent in traffic gridlock

Commute from South Everett to Seattle (UW)?

I would seriously consider requesting an alternate 'off hours' commute, hybrid telecommute, mass transit (where available) or living closer in. Its the same dilemma many, many Seattleites faces as they deal with a hellish daily commute. Many got a reprieve during covid and now some do not want to return to the office after experiencing freedom from that daily torture.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-19-2023 at 04:55 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 05:35 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
I would candidly see if you can align your position closer to Seattle. The Tacoma to Seattle will spank you most every day. What skills do you (or he) have which could align work in other locations?

Old 02-19-2023, 09:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
No, don't do it. Seattle to Olympia is literally insane. As is living in the middle and commuting in both directions.

If you don't want to live in Seattle then perhaps consider Bothell or Woodinville up at the top of Lake Washington. Excellent schools and nice community but not quite as completely wealthy as other nearby suburbs. You have decent public transit options into Seattle from there. And then see if you can find work somewhere in that area.

As a parent of 3 kids I will tell you that you do NOT and I mean absolutely DO NOT want to be both working 1+ hours away from your kids schools. That is not sustainable.

Last edited by texasdiver; 02-19-2023 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 10:08 PM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Yeah, once when I was living in the Bay Area I decided to get the best job I could get regardless of commute (because I had never done that before). OMG nightmare!!! I would get home and not remember which route I drove. I literally had to pry my hands off the steering wheel as it was so stressful.

Commuting sucks and will drain you of the will to live. It will be short-lived and you will be searching for an alternative lifestyle soon after. Just do something else altogether. Live somewhere that it is possible to have a family nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington