Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 09:53 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,219,325 times

Advertisements

I'm sure 20 year old commute is incomparable with today. I know it is here in the Portland Metro Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 12:04 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I'm sure 20 year old commute is incomparable with today. I know it is here in the Portland Metro Area.
Right… That was kind of my point. It’s probably not better now. :-)

Old 02-21-2023, 12:07 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Right… That was kind of my point. It’s probably not better now. :-)
As in the category of "Insane -> Do not attempt now."

BTW, I just had a company in Seattle trying to recruit me. Unless there was some kind of bullet train, I can't even imagine a way for someone from Vancouver to commute to Seattle. I always respond with 'telecommute options?'

Old 02-21-2023, 12:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted-Avo View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the insight and advice! For context (for those that asked) - I'm in the environmental field so I could get a job almost anywhere, but many of the most ideal jobs for me seem to be in the Olympia/Lacey area. It sounds like it is NOT worth the commute & drain on family though.

Another commute question - does anyone have experience or know what it's like to do a water taxi/ferry from places like Bremerton or Port Orchard into Seattle? Is it reliable and relatively quick (compared to driving)?
Washington is getting to the point where it's got ALOT of issues, the reason these jobs are open...

The Ferries are often backed up several sailings for car traffic, experience weather cancelations, and those who have tried walk-on and leave a vehicle/motorcycle on the other side tend to find them prowled or missing, IF you can find a place to park it. A bicycle might work if you don't mind getting soaked to the bone riding it in the rain. (note:lots of people are already playing that angle to get the Seattle pay without the high costs, violence, and crime.)

The peninsula side of the state, and many other areas have, grown alot to the point medical services are a big issue. People move here to find no one is taking new patients. Because of the travel time to care/emergency services in Seattle, many are buying extra insurance for "Life-flight" emergency helicopter services because the health insurance companies are onto this and will not cover it in many areas.

Priorities should be:
1. Get housing lined up you can afford, contingent on getting job.
2. Find a PCP that is taking new patients. As soon as you decide to move, get referred and lock-up that opening.
3. Visit the area and make a few "test runs" of your commute before committing, maybe together with your interview.
4. Then, take the job and put your move into action, if you still want to after dealing with all the above.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:09 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted-Avo View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the insight and advice! For context (for those that asked) - I'm in the environmental field so I could get a job almost anywhere, but many of the most ideal jobs for me seem to be in the Olympia/Lacey area. It sounds like it is NOT worth the commute & drain on family though.

Another commute question - does anyone have experience or know what it's like to do a water taxi/ferry from places like Bremerton or Port Orchard into Seattle? Is it reliable and relatively quick (compared to driving)?
Passenger ferry is far more affordable than car ferry. Bremerton has definitely become the affordable alternative to living in Seattle, for some Seattle workers. Some of the schools in the general area are good, decent: in Silverdale, possibly Poulsbo. Poulsbo would be closer to the ferry. The only negative about dependence on the ferries is that during severe storms, they cancel service. Also during extreme low tides.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Washington is getting to the point where it's got ALOT of issues, the reason these jobs are open...

The Ferries are often backed up several sailings for car traffic,
The OP asked about passenger-only ferries, not car ferries.

Old 02-22-2023, 12:40 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP asked about passenger-only ferries, not car ferries.
I'm aware of that. My manager has family that used to do that same commute and they hated it. They tried everything from bicycles to motorcycles to leaving a crappy car on the Seattle side. Anything that was left on the Seattle side eventually got stolen. His best gig was leaving the car parked at a place we do business with, but it only lasted 3 weeks before it was prowled(battery, oem radio, and spare tire/tools stolen), then stolen all together.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I'm aware of that. My manager has family that used to do that same commute and they hated it. They tried everything from bicycles to motorcycles to leaving a crappy car on the Seattle side. Anything that was left on the Seattle side eventually got stolen. His best gig was leaving the car parked at a place we do business with, but it only lasted 3 weeks before it was prowled(battery, oem radio, and spare tire/tools stolen), then stolen all together.
I would think it would only work if the commuters had jobs on a bus line whose route passed near the ferry terminal. For example, commuting to a job at the UW, say, would probably be impractical.If you need a car or bike to get to work on the Seattle side, then Bremerton isn't where you should live.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:59 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would think it would only work if the commuters had jobs on a bus line whose route passed near the ferry terminal. For example, commuting to a job at the UW, say, would probably be impractical.If you need a car or bike to get to work on the Seattle side, then Bremerton isn't where you should live.
Add to that they have little kids on the other side who need to be cared for at unplanned times. So, one needs to work 'near' their school. Let's say he/she falls down and gets a bloody noise or some other school related events occurs. Getting back across the Sound quickly for such things would not be very practical.

Both spouses need jobs and it's unlikely they get convenient bus stops to the front doors.

I'm sure this same thought process is common for all families moving to Seattle for work. They have to think about realistic commute times, caring for kids, housing costs closer in vs. further out, etc...

Derek

Old 02-24-2023, 01:32 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
A big frustration living in the Seattle Metro area are the compromises you have to make. The traffic makes commuting almost impossible in some areas that would be ideal to live in for other reasons. The good areas are outrageously expensive and might not work for commuting, even if you can pay.

Two careers make things complicated in this area because the geography makes commuting even short distances a nightmare. When you have kids, schools are an issue and someone needs to be available for the kids. And it's expensive. It's not an easy place to raise kids with two careers unless you have grandma or other family nearby to help or one person works remotely and can be home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington