Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 11:32 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Important distinctions - for me, that I haven't seen discussed yet:

We are not facing loss of Orcas in Puget Sound, only one sub-type. There are two distinct subgroups of Orca in Puget Sound, one, The Southern Residents, will feed only on salmon, and the other, the Transients and Bigs, who eat mostly seals, sea lions and other prey. While the Residents have had years where they have less due to the highly variable numbers of salmon, the Transients are growing and thriving on a bounty of protected seals and sea lions. When I went to school, we used to talk about Darwin, and adaptation, and survival of the fittest as natural processes that have always, and will always occur, yet we never hear of it in current discussions about threatened species... why? One is adapting to the food that is prevalent, and the other is not.

We have the ability to have far more salmon. There is a problem of ideology and perception on some rivers where hatchery salmon are released and returning in record numbers, but they are not counted, only the wild fish count in the minds of many naturalists, even though they are the same fish, with the same genetics and ancestry, that are caught and raised at the hatchery on the same river each year. There are ecological reasons to try to maintain some wild fish in the runs upstream from the hatchery, mainly to help other species who feed on them upstream. But the dams really don't have to be removed or even matter in the debate about saving salmon or Orca. We can and have raised and released record numbers in the past, and could again. The current thinking is an ideology that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

All of the dams in question have been there at least 50 years, some even older, dating back to the 1930s. Salmon live 4-7 years. Every salmon alive today, and the previous many generations back to the 1930s, have lived and coped with dams, and locks. They aren't the only problem and they may not even be the biggest one. I think there are other methods and other politics that could be tried before we remove even one dam, which really should be a precious perpetual source of green energy for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 01:26 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I’ve seen gill nets at the spit.
Good to know that the locks help.

Other than fish, shellfish and a few game birds I’m not much of a hunter.
Not really against it, it’s just not me.

That being said,
Maybe it’s time we revisit the idea of trimming down our pinnipeds.
A healthy ecosystem relies on balance.
This system currently lacks balance.

There are several different ways we can help the orca and salmon.
We should get serious about that.
As another person mentioned we might be the last generation that has this opportunity.
Canada does it, with a bounty I might add. It makes a big difference. One of my friends has a co-worker friend who is dual citizen US/CDN. Once he started fishing up there with him, he realized the fishing is much better with longer seasons even with Vancouvers far larger population tapping into the resource. We've both since sold our boats and no longer bother with Washington licenses/fisheries.
Seals and nets aren't discriminate. The last time I fished I caught a rockfish and it was a protected species, we already have to use barbless hooks and fish shallow so they can safely be released. The tide was ripping pretty good, and about 75' from the boat, a seal ate it. The spines didn't even slow it down it just went gulp heads first and it was gone. The seals and sea-lions also prey on the salmon coming up Whatcom Creek(narrow & shallow entrance) in Bellingham. The hatchery there has the poorest returns in the state with only a couple fish returning for each 10,000 smolts released.
If nothing is done, we'll see a slow collapse of the food chain in Puget Sound. Crab though, may benefit from all the starved dead seals and maybe dead Orcas if they don't adapt and start eating the seals. The geography of the sound though, affords the seals the special opportunity to work the "pinch points" for salmon, yet simply run ashore if the Orcas show up. Due to this, human intervention is likely required to get control of the pinniped population before it's too late.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:59 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I remember that last year. That took place just a few weeks after I left. And Mt. Vernon narrowly escaped getting flooded, thanks to its flood wall. I was asking about current conditions, though. I didn't know if I'd be able to drive through to Anacortes, and later--onward to Lynded, but I'm told everything's ok.
We have 3" more rain in the forecast, but it's been spread out enough and cool enough that it's not looking to be a major issue. We are expecting sub-freezing temperatures and possibly snow next week though.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Western Washington residents need to decide IF they want to save THEIR natural environment.

The days of blaming eastern Washington for the environmental ills of western Washington are rapidly coming to a close.
? What? I am guessing there is some history to this statement, but as an average/typical western Washingtonian, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:43 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
I'm on Olympic Peninsula. I watched the pasture go from crispy brown to bright green in 2 days. Amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington