Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 02:31 PM

1,829 posts, read 808,990 times

Advertisements

On Friday afternoon, I was in my car & waiting at a red light at an intersection of Sequim's main street. The intersection is busy as there is commerce on all 4 corners. There was a group of 5 or 6 people on the sidewalk. One was waving a huge sign, which said they were a family & needed food, rent money. When people stopped at the light, he walked up & down the sidewalk waving the sign, along with 4 or 5 possibly real but more likely fake flowers, yelling at cars waiting for the light to change. The side street is narrow, so he got with 6" of cars & got my dogs going.

Then, a woman in a late model SUV parked in one of the customer parking lot & walked toward them. I thought she might be giving them a donation, but she was apparently one of them as she sat in a lawn chair & joined them.

I remember signs posted along the street, particularly one outside Home Depot & another outside Costco, that stated that begging was prohibited. Yes, the word begging was on the signs.Yet, when I spoke to a Sequim police, they told me that as long as the beggars do not obstruct pedestrians on the sidewalk, or enter the street, they are legal & it was no different than people on the sidewalk with protest signs & that if I don't like it, I should vote.

I'm used to beggars in Port Angeles, in Seattle & in my state of origin, but this is a new thing for me in Sequim. Oh, I got hit up while pumping gas in Sequim today. Time to pull my street smarts out of mothballs, I guess.

Last edited by CalWorth; 10-02-2022 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 07:59 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,754,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
On Friday afternoon, I was in my car & waiting at a red light at an intersection of Sequim's main street. The intersection is busy as there is commerce on all 4 corners. There was a group of 5 or 6 people on the sidewalk. One was waving a huge sign, which said they were a family & needed food, rent money. When people stopped at the light, he walked up & down the sidewalk waving the sign, along with 4 or 5 possibly real but more likely fake flowers, yelling at cars waiting for the light to change. The side street is narrow, so he got with 6" of cars & got my dogs going.

Then, a woman in a late model SUV parked in one of the customer parking lot & walked toward them. I thought she might be giving them a donation, but she was apparently one of them as she sat in a lawn chair & joined them.

I remember signs posted along the street, particularly one outside Home Depot & another outside Costco, that stated that begging was prohibited. Yes, the word begging was on the signs.Yet, when I spoke to a Sequim police, they told me that as long as the beggars do not obstruct pedestrians on the sidewalk, or enter the street, they are legal & it was no different than people on the sidewalk with protest signs & that if I don't like it, I should vote.

I'm used to beggars in Port Angeles, in Seattle & in my state of origin, but this is a new thing for me in Sequim. Oh, I got hit up while pumping gas in Sequim today. Time to pull my street smarts out of mothballs, I guess.
Businesses like Home Depot and Costco are private property and they can ban any kind of activity they want on their property including panhandling.

Streets and sidewalks are public spaces and people generally have a constitutional right to assemble and beg providing they aren't breaking other laws like obstructing traffic.

If you don't want to see panhandlers on your street corner, don't give them any money. That is positive reinforcement.

In any event, I find that I simply rarely carry any cash anymore. Everything I pay for is with plastic including parking these days. I have no use for cash and find it annoying. That also means I generally never have any on me and couldn't give to a panhandler even if I wanted to. At some point I would think that begging on the streets is going to dry up as a "profession" when fewer and fewer people are carrying any sort of cash to hand out.

Last edited by texasdiver; 10-02-2022 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-03-2022, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
If you don't want to see panhandlers on your street corner, don't give them any money. That is positive reinforcement.

In any event, I find that I simply rarely carry any cash anymore. Everything I pay for is with plastic including parking these days. I have no use for cash and find it annoying. That also means I generally never have any on me and couldn't give to a panhandler even if I wanted to. At some point I would think that begging on the streets is going to dry up as a "profession" when fewer and fewer people are carrying any sort of cash to hand out.
Kind of tangential to my post. The beggar does not know if I have cash, yet approaches me anyway. Also, I do not give to street beggars.

I am pointing out that street begging has become a more frequent & accepted occurrence in Sequim. At one time it was not frequently seen in Port Angeles, either. Homeless tent camps were also not seen in PA, yet now they are.

Also, individual preference of plastic or currency is not relevant to the topic of my post.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:40 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Businesses like Home Depot and Costco are private property and they can ban any kind of activity they want on their property including panhandling.

Streets and sidewalks are public spaces and people generally have a constitutional right to assemble and beg providing they aren't breaking other laws like obstructing traffic.

True about the cash thing. Here in Tricities there has been a major uptick in those in need. (I refuse to call them beggars.). The problem has many angles and complications but two really stand out. Mental illness and Covid. These two didn’t create homelessness but certainly exacerbated the problem.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I don't know of any cities where panhandling has been made illegal on public property. Even aggressive panhandling that could be considered harassment is not likely to be stopped by the police in the current political environment. With relatives in Sequim, I have seen a few of them there for many years, just not as visibly as now. I also don't carry cash, but even if I did I would never give any to them. You don't have any way to tell if they are truly needy and hungry or are just taking advantage of the opportunity to have tax-free income with little effort.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:02 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
There was a supreme court ruling that begging is protected as free speech.

A very large percentage of those street corner beggars are not homeless people. It is often reported by observers that they often have nice cars and a house that they live in. So people that give them money are just encouraging them and taking away charity money that could have given to organizations that actually work with the homeless.

If you want to help the homeless, donate to the charities that work with them instad of handing out cash to random beggars.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know of any cities where panhandling has been made illegal on public property. Even aggressive panhandling that could be considered harassment is not likely to be stopped by the police in the current political environment. With relatives in Sequim, I have seen a few of them there for many years, just not as visibly as now. I also don't carry cash, but even if I did I would never give any to them. You don't have any way to tell if they are truly needy and hungry or are just taking advantage of the opportunity to have tax-free income with little effort.
This does seem to hold everywhere. It is up to individuals to consistently say NO to the beggars. Police really can’t stop them unless they become violent or do some other thing that threatens public safety.

We saw a LOT of bums begging in Port Townsend in the few years we lived there. Each year it noticeably worsened; too many people felt sorry for them and gave them cash or sleeping bags and were “nice” to them. You can be not-nice without being mean—just say NO and mean it.

Even in the city of the rural CO county here (think conservative, rightwing, redneck, or just plain “red”), bums try to get something from people going shopping. One supermarket, which has the misfortune to sit near two liquor stores, can be like a gauntlet to get through the beggars trying to catch my eye or even approaching. Twice I have been putting groceries in the vehicle when one popped up right behind me, saying repeatedly, “Excuse me...” ANYBODY who comes that close to me from behind is cause for alarm unless I recognize the voice.

One of these days some lowlife doing that to the wrong person will receive something much more forceful than me just whirling around and yelling NO at them while in a fighting stance.

This city has programs to help those who want to and commit to living like a normal person does. Beggars don’t fall into that category. They must laugh at all the Help Wanted signs.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:35 PM

554 posts, read 1,069,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While I am not from Washington, in the city where I live there is an ordinance against aggressive panhandling:

"The current panhandling ordinance states that it is illegal to solicit “in an aggressive manner in a public area,” or within 50 feet of areas such as ATMs, banks, a parking meter or pay station, marked crosswalks, bus stops or bus stations, and more."

There was a proposed ordinance that would make it illegal to give money to panhandlers. But as you can imagine, that ordinance never went anywhere, with the Chief of Police saying it would be nearly impossible to enforce.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:36 PM

No matter what word is assigned to sound more socially acceptable, begging is begging.

I don't appreciate having to be on high alert with my head on a 360° swivel when I purchase groceries or gas; when I go to the pharmacy; when I have a medical appointment. I lived that way before & it was a relief to be able to relax from that for awhile.

When this behavior is accepted or even just tolerated, the next level of behavior is not far behind.

Old 10-04-2022, 12:02 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
I understand your point. Society has changed and you simply have to roll with it. If you feel strongly about it the best way to reply is at the voter box. Unfortunaty a majority of WA residents don’t. Democracies depend on full voting. Why so many don’t care is troubling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington