Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 04:27 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times

Advertisements

The smoke is still bad in the PNW, it's strangely dry for this time of year and many fires still persist. Typically we'd have switched to "monsoon season" by now. That light NE breeze outflow has continued to pull the smoke out from the mountains into Puget sound. Just got an email from the kids PE class that outdoor activities are cancelled due to an "unhealthy for sensitive groups" AQI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 08:20 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The smoke and wildfires will last for another 30 to 40 years in the western US.

We will have to burn down the same areas TWICE that will remove enough soil that trees will be unable to grow for centuries, and where the fire isn't fatally hot the large areas burned will remove a seed sources. The conversion of our National Forests to National Brush Fields will be complete at the point and burning brush puts up significantly less smoke than burning trees!!!

Here is a map that shows the fires since 2000.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=42.7...8&b=mbt&a=fire

As you zoom in on the data set it will show the fire name and year of the fire. You can then scroll all the up into Oregon and Washington to get a sense of burned and yet, to burn areas.

I have set the initial map for the area around Grants Pass. You can easily see why Grants Pass and Medford gets all that smoke.

The good news is that the forest types change as you move north of Roseburg. The bad news is that you move to significantly wetter and cloudier weather compared to Grants Pass.

The worst fires in Oregon and Washington have all been in WESTERN OREGON AND WASHINGTON. Until recently, they have also been the largest fires in the two states.

The 2020 fires in western Oregon are typical of fire behavior in this forest type. The tend to happen in September and October during periods of east winds. They are MASSIVE fires. There is really no defense except to wait for rain.

The good news is they are relative short duration since the fire runs are pretty much dependent on those east winds.

Strictly from a fire and smoke concern I would look at Gray's Harbor County in Washington. But any place from Eugene north in the I-5 corridor and coastal areas will be better than most of the western US, with the exception of the southern Arizona desert.

Here is a paper on what we need to do to solve the wildland fire and smoke problem in the west:

https://californiasaf.org/2022/03/24...paper-camp-70/

It is written by professional foresters each with over 50 years of forest managment experience. Once you read the paper you can forward it to your elected officials and demand that they implement the recommendations.
Thanks for that map link. So many fires. It is hazy here in Whatcom County but Seattle is bad. I would rather live amongst trees and asphalt and buildings,

Old 10-17-2022, 05:16 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Hopefully the rains will come by Friday, to damping down the fires and to help with the air Quality.
Will be in town next Friday..

Old 10-17-2022, 06:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
^^I hope so. I am on the Olympic Peninsula, it has been smoky all week. One week ago I was in Issaquah for a Dr. appointment. It was smoky all the way up & down for the trip. The forest fire danger signs at Clallam Bay & Neah Bay are in the red. I have never seen that, they are always in the green. I guess this is the future.

Last edited by CalWorth; 10-17-2022 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-17-2022, 07:11 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Right now if you look at airnow.gov for the air quality numbers, it looks like out at the coast in southern WA has the best air quality. That's where I'd look if you want to have the best chance of being out of the smoke in WA.
That's one area I've been focusing on, for relocation. They have enough rain for a good water supply, and their air stays relatively clear, except in extreme events. Plus RE/rents are cheap. Of course, you never know what the future may bring; there are forests in that area, too, and summers are dry. But so far, it's done pretty well.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:05 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Bellingham and Whatcom county were terrible today, AQI anywhere from the 110's clear up to 290 in a few areas. Ash was falling out of the sky and was visibly accumulated on parked cars. We have the Chilliwack complex fire NE of Mt. Baker which has burned about 7,400 acres and is not contained at all. The area is "inaccessible" but you'd think they could air drop water on it.
Rain is finally in the forecast, and as much as we need it many are hoping it doesn't make up for this extended dry season with another 100/500 year flood. Peoples homes are still being repaired from the TWO floods, a 100 year and 500 year, that happened almost a year ago.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Bellingham and Whatcom county were terrible today, AQI anywhere from the 110's clear up to 290 in a few areas. Ash was falling out of the sky and was visibly accumulated on parked cars. We have the Chilliwack complex fire NE of Mt. Baker which has burned about 7,400 acres and is not contained at all. The area is "inaccessible" but you'd think they could air drop water on it.
Rain is finally in the forecast, and as much as we need it many are hoping it doesn't make up for this extended dry season with another 100/500 year flood. Peoples homes are still being repaired from the TWO floods, a 100 year and 500 year, that happened almost a year ago.
Aren't some of the fires on the BC side of the border? I've seen fire maps, and it looks like there's a cluster of fires around the border.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't some of the fires on the BC side of the border? I've seen fire maps, and it looks like there's a cluster of fires around the border.
Historically, we have had fewer wild fires within the western Cascades in Washington. However, several are burning now including the Bolt Creek fire north of Highway 2, Suiattle fire, Chilliwack Complex fire, White River fire, and the NW Pasayten Complex fire. Some are partially contained, others are left to burn.

Our air is so bad that I need to mask up to bring the pups out to do their business. My husband said it was so smoky in town that you could barely see. Our cedars and maples, even along the now dry creek, are showing signs of stress. The cedars have way more patches that are orange brown that drop in the fall than normal. The birches’ leaves turned brown, not yellow. We have lived in our location 40+ years and the drought has never been this bad. I sincerely hope that this is not the new normal.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Hopefully the rains will come by Friday, to damping down the fires and to help with the air Quality.
Will be in town next Friday..
I'm looking at the reports/forecasts, and it says (contrary to what was expected a few days ago for the weekend and beyond) dry Sat through Sun. The next rain now is expected Tues. I guess there was some rain Friday, no? Did that help with the fires? Clear the air a little, at least?

Old 10-23-2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm looking at the reports/forecasts, and it says (contrary to what was expected a few days ago for the weekend and beyond) dry Sat through Sun. The next rain now is expected Tues. I guess there was some rain Friday, no? Did that help with the fires? Clear the air a little, at least?
The air is clear now. We had off and on showers Thursday and Saturday for about a half inch total. Friday and today were partly cloudy and cool (40°s). Light showers began this evening at 9 PM. It is odd that a week ago, the temperature reached 80°.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington