Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 12:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times

Advertisements

People who live in suburbs don't have any idea of what happens in rural areas. Living "in the country" is a wholesome stereotype that only exists in upper middle class, expensive areas of rural Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 11:04 AM

24 posts, read 55,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
People who live in suburbs don't have any idea of what happens in rural areas. Living "in the country" is a wholesome stereotype that only exists in upper middle class, expensive areas of rural Washington.
Dammit. And I was hoping that in Washington, I could sit in my floofy chair with the corgis, while my minions brought fresh tea and scones and the "stable help" groomed and presented my horses to me.

Living with horses is a messy business, and even in my so-called "equestrian neighborhood" in Colorado, there are neighbors who complain about flies, manure, noises, etc. Of course, they are excited and amused when someone's horses escape their enclosures, while the horse owners are panicking and running about crazily, attempting to grab the creatures before they get hurt.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:56 AM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
Dammit. And I was hoping that in Washington, I could sit in my floofy chair with the corgis, while my minions brought fresh tea and scones and the "stable help" groomed and presented my horses to me.

Living with horses is a messy business, and even in my so-called "equestrian neighborhood" in Colorado, there are neighbors who complain about flies, manure, noises, etc. Of course, they are excited and amused when someone's horses escape their enclosures, while the horse owners are panicking and running about crazily, attempting to grab the creatures before they get hurt.

We also have corgis Two of them... plus a Livestock Guardian Dog. And no floofy chair, no stable help.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington -- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-2021-01-21-08.26.35-1.jpg  

Old 09-02-2022, 03:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Funny stuff right there twelvegates

Old 09-02-2022, 03:59 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We also have corgis Two of them... plus a Livestock Guardian Dog. And no floofy chair, no stable help.
You mean you're not living in living in squalor with criminals constantly breaking into your country home or like the Duttons in their Yellowstone ranch with all those 'ranch hands' taking care of their horses and doing all the dirty work for them?

Well, there goes those stereotypes of the non-existent middle class normal country type folk living in WA. lol

Makes for lots of drama on social media though. Even though you have corgis, so IDK. Maybe you're more like those Beverly Hillbillies sitting on a big pot of gold just pretending to not be rich out there in the country. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-02-2022 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2022, 04:28 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post

I think you misunderstood. I was referring not to your post, but to a poster who replied to you. They live in a big suburb in Washington, they do not live rural, so big difference.

Bring lots of money, you'll be fine. Be sure to share with the meth heads.

I know Ft. Collins. It's a better equine environment, except for possible water issues. If you live east of Cascades in WA, it's barren, hot summers, cold winters. Might as well stay where you are, or maybe Idaho.

Last edited by CalWorth; 09-02-2022 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-02-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You mean you're not living in living in squalor with criminals constantly breaking into your country home or like the Duttons in their Yellowstone ranch with all those 'ranch hands' taking care of their horses and doing all the dirty work for them?

Well, there goes those stereotypes of the non-existent middle class normal country type folk living in WA. lol

Makes for lots of drama on social media though. Even though you have corgis, so IDK. Maybe you're more like those Beverly Hillbillies sitting on a big pot of gold just pretending to not be rich out there in the country. lol

Derek

Good post - last several posts maybe, for their mix of perspectives. It does seem like the very normal middle ground so often gets lost on the internet.

Our life is neither misery nor perfect, and we get by and find our own joy, like most of the other normal people around here. I wouldn't live anywhere else, but thankfully not everyone agrees... so we can spread out a bit.

Corgis have their own way of coping of course.... this picture is actually from this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington -- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-305082846_10221803267573635_1751142480762609924_n.jpg  

Old 09-02-2022, 05:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Geez. I live in a rural, not-wealthy part of CO. Lots of people have horses, in varying degrees of nicety. We have a wide range from McMansiony dreams (with caretaker trailer homes set aside), through what could be called middle class, right down to the most awful meth shacky squalor, including animal hoarders. It’s all here, though I doubt anyone has butlers.

Some horses and cattle “graze” in barren plots of their own **** and poop mixed into the mud or dust (depending on time of year). I think some people consider horses a badge of their ruralness, but the animals stand bored/droopy and idle all the time. (No, I doubt OP does this.)

Old 09-02-2022, 05:14 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I think you misunderstood. I was referring not to your post, but to a poster who replied to you. They live in a big suburb in Washington, they do not live rural, so big difference.

Bring lots of money, you'll be fine. Be sure to share with the meth heads.

I know Ft. Collins. It's a better equine environment, except for possible water issues. If you live east of Cascades in WA, it's barren, hot summers, cold winters. Might as well stay where you are, or maybe Idaho.
I don't know who you're referring to, but its likely me. We actually live in are area which is mostly country with some suburban sprawl. So, we've got friends and family with horses here as well as those who live in surburbia - the same small town. None are rich, while some have or more or less than others - pretty 'normal' stuff, actually. Some have larger properties with more acreage for their horses to roam which were purchased before prices went too crazy. But regardless of suburban or country, it doesn't match those stereotypes of meth heads running wild in the streets ruining the area or anything nutty like that. That doesn't mean drugs aren't an issue like everywhere else. It's just not degrading QOL for normal folks (i.e. not rich) living their daily lives.

That said, I'm sure there are parts of WA, OR, CA and CO, that seem overrun by the druggies. But its not a statewide issue to the dramatic degrees portraited in some posts. We're not rich if that was another assumption nor are our country family and friends. Yet meth heads are certainly not on our minds 24/7 or anything crazy like that. lol

You can ask Dianne and MechAndy their perspectives who live out yonder along with other country folk how bad it really is in their neighborhoods. I don't think you'll find its ruining their lives or anything. Though its certainly a societal concern for most of us like anywhere.

Derek

Old 09-02-2022, 05:18 PM

Regarding the "best equine environment".... on what standard? I'm curious what other people use to define that. Are people talking about the weather or the cost or what?

We've talked about the muddy winters here.... but that can be solved, at least in part, with good footing engineering and maybe an indoor arena at home or within hauling distance, if you're serious about riding year around. The extreme heat of other places would make summer unbearable for me, because I don't think you can solve that with an arena.... inside the arena, it'll still be hot.

I think our trail riding scenery is terrific. Lots of places have big wide open vistas, or canyons... those are neat to experience... I think so too are our trees and ferns.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington -- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-8d838031-dc17-4381-911c-46f16e7aeb89.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington