Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 09:13 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Enforce the Speeding laws on the books the by the WSP on the Interstate, and local Sheriff Departments, on non-Interstate freeways. But i know that is easier said than done.

The WSP is still very much obligated to its primary mission, new pursuit laws may tempt the die hard scofflaw types, but the average driver will pull over for the lights and siren. I saw plenty of cars pulled over on a recent trip across the state, and glad to see the patrols upped to the extent that I noted a much slower traffic flow making for a nice drive. When the laws regarding police pursuit didn't pose a restraint--People still fled from police pursuit, the difference is that now the police and the fleeing driver won't become an unnecessary menace for those driving our crowded roads.

https://jalopnik.com/washingtons-sta...-la-1849049886
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 10:23 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, it's impossible now, remember the chase law!

"Under the new law, police officers can't give chase unless there's reasonable suspicion to believe the driver is impaired or the higher standard of probable cause to believe they're an escaped felon or have committed a violent crime or a sex crime." If you have a problem with speeders, you will have to replace the governor and state legislators.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...20sex%20crime.
great for the cops, anybody going over 80 gets a free pass.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I have noticed WSP just sitting still even when a vehicle comes through at or beyond 80. I suppose the chase law is part of it but they still come after you for reckless driving as I understand it. Beyond that, just having a presence likely helps keep speeds reasonable and prudent.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
This morning in a 40 MPH zone on our main arterial, I was stuck behind two cars going 35, so I passed them. Turns out the front one was a cop, and I had passed him at 46. Oops, I thought I was going to catch it, but I slowed back to 42 and he just kept going. Maybe he was on the way to get donuts.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:54 PM

Speed laws in Washington are rarely enforced in 2022. Yes the no chase law is one of the causes. Again, police presence is just there as a deterrent. But I would hope most understand that obeying speed limits is prudent. Those who choose not to are simply increasing their odds of getting into an accident.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-19-2022 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-20-2022, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 1,598 times
Obeying speed limits IS prudent...provided the limits are set at reasonable levels by those trained to do so. Generally that means traffic engineers.

There is always going to be a tradeoff between some folks' perception of a safe operating speed and operational efficiency of the roadway. And that will vary by road type, the characteristics of those who use it and the surrounding built environment.

Reckless driving, negligent driving, and driving while under the influence are certainly problems and excessive speed often contributes to a very bad outcome in those cases. But I'm not convinced that speed alone is the problem many feel it is.

If speed alone was the problem, then the German autobahn (which still has a number of unlimited speed sections) would be more dangerous than the US interstates. But it's not. Why? Better roads and even more importantly, better drivers, who are the products of a much more rigorous licensing system than found anywhere in the US.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Obeying speed limits IS prudent...provided the limits are set at reasonable levels by those trained to do so. Generally that means traffic engineers.

There is always going to be a tradeoff between some folks' perception of a safe operating speed and operational efficiency of the roadway. And that will vary by road type, the characteristics of those who use it and the surrounding built environment.

Reckless driving, negligent driving, and driving while under the influence are certainly problems and excessive speed often contributes to a very bad outcome in those cases. But I'm not convinced that speed alone is the problem many feel it is.

If speed alone was the problem, then the German autobahn (which still has a number of unlimited speed sections) would be more dangerous than the US interstates. But it's not. Why? Better roads and even more importantly, better drivers, who are the products of a much more rigorous licensing system than found anywhere in the US.
Of course. Speed alone is not a major contributor to accidents. Bad drivers are more to blame. I would expect that the US has more of these than Germany due to different cultural expectations and requirements. Anyone can drive in the US and that is a problem.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:10 AM

To expand on this…covid and other economic issues has reduced enforcement of traffic laws. I can only speak for my area but I rarely see police on my local highways and freeways these days. I can’t remember seeing drivers pulled over recently. Unfortunately this is creating anarchy on the roads.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 1,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
To expand on this…covid and other economic issues has reduced enforcement of traffic laws. I can only speak for my area but I rarely see police on my local highways and freeways these days. I can’t remember seeing drivers pulled over recently. Unfortunately this is creating anarchy on the roads.
Perhaps it would be helpful to drill down a bit. So do you see the drop in traffic enforcement at the local (city and county) level or primarily on state highways and interstates? Or both?

Old 08-21-2022, 03:27 PM

The answer here in Washington State is both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington