Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 10:11 AM

6,302 posts, read 3,456,596 times

Advertisements

This month? The SC ruled gay marriage okay a couple years ago. You do know that SC takes precedents over states rights and states can't over rule SC rulings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Several Washington congressmen voted against protecting gay marriage this month, which looks to be next for the Supreme court to overrule as a constitutional right. That's not friendly.
Please provide evidence of the above^^^
This month? What!

The SC ruled gay marriage okay a couple years ago. You do know that SC takes precedents over states rights and states can't pass laws over turning SC rulings.
For example when the SC overturned Roe, that ruling did not make abortion illegal as so many pro-choice people want you to believe.

The states will allow the people in those states to either vote for abortion or allow their elected representatives to vote. If either body vote for some type of abortion or against it that will be the will of the people in those states.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:44 AM

5,532 posts, read 7,824,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Please provide evidence of the above^^^
This month? What!

The SC ruled gay marriage okay a couple years ago. You do know that SC takes precedents over states rights and states can't pass laws over turning SC rulings.
For example when the SC overturned Roe, that ruling did not make abortion illegal as so many pro-choice people want you to believe.

The states will allow the people in those states to either vote for abortion or allow their elected representatives to vote. If either body vote for some type of abortion or against it that will be the will of the people in those states.
Here is a discussion of the vote in question which happened LAST WEEK: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/same-se...use-vote-pass/ it is a move by Congress to guarantee the right to gay marriage in statute now that the Supreme Court is threatening to reconsider it in the wake of their decision to repeal Roe. Both Alito and Thomas have indicated their eagerness to reconsider repeal Obergefell (which guaranteed the right of gay marriage) so it is on the table.

Here is the roll call vote in the House: https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2022373

Washington Republicans Jaime Herrera Beutler and Cathy McMorris Rodgers voted against.
The third Washington Republican, Dan Newhouse was one of the 47 Republicans who voted in favor.

Look it up.

Oh, and civil rights are civil RIGHTS. Often their purpose is to protect minorities or unpopular opinions. They are not something that should be subject to majority vote.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,118,777 times
I can only speak of what I see and I think most people don’t care if people are gay or trans.
The crazy few that do could be in any political or social group.
People are people and this has been going on for ages.

When I was a kid we had a gay student we all went through the school system with since grammar school and Joey was just Joey, a decent kid and nobody bothered him.

Being unhappy that some people shove their agenda on you is entirely different and normally doesn’t bring out the best in people.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:12 PM

Who is shoving their agenda at who? This is a group of Battle Ground, WA residents who are trying to strip any reference to LGBT students (who do in fact, exist) from school health curriculums.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Several Washington congressmen voted against protecting gay marriage this month, which looks to be next for the Supreme court to overrule as a constitutional right. That's not friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Who is shoving their agenda at who? This is a group of Battle Ground, WA residents who are trying to strip any reference to LGBT students (who do in fact, exist) from school health curriculums.
And what age are they talking about? Yeah right...a 6-8 year old needs to know about gay sex and gender identity. Not.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
And what age are they talking about? Yeah right...a 6-8 year old needs to know about gay sex and gender identity. Not.
Not 6-8 year olds. It was a state-approved high school curriculum that they were trying to get removed. Here is the actual article from where I linked that photo: https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/...ground-sex-ed/

Is this the biggest thing in the world? No. But it is simply an example of how some communities in Washington are less friendly towards LGBT students than others. And it is directly responsive to the OP's question about LGBT-friendly communities.

It is also not mere coincidence that redder areas tend to be less LGBT friendly when one political party turned opposition to LGBT rights into a national party platform. That is nothing unique to Washington, it is a national phenomenon.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:41 PM

864 posts, read 1,070,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I can only speak of what I see and I think most people don’t care if people are gay or trans.
The crazy few that do could be in any political or social group.
People are people and this has been going on for ages.

When I was a kid we had a gay student we all went through the school system with since grammar school and Joey was just Joey, a decent kid and nobody bothered him.

Being unhappy that some people shove their agenda on you is entirely different and normally doesn’t bring out the best in people.
How'd you know he was gay?

Old 08-01-2022, 09:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,118,777 times
Joey was like one of the girls.
The way he talked and acted.
He came out after high school but we all knew and he was a very likable person.
Non of us cared and the town we grew up in was an old money conservative town.

Edited to add,
Joey wasn’t the only one there were two others a guy and a girl that we knew of and accepted.
The guy was a bit different and we knew he was a friend of mines brother he was lost to the aids thing a few years after high school.
There was also a girl.
This girl was something.
She was gear head and into building fast cars.
I think she punched a person or two for being rude.
She was one of the guys.
I’m not sure what happened to her or if she came out but she was alright by me.
The other two I mentioned were friends of mine little brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington