Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 12:03 PM

16 posts, read 27,804 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an area on the Washington side of the Portland metro that fits this criteria? We're coming from a no state income tax state and would like to be in another one if possible, but all the Portland suburbs we've seen recommended are on the Oregon side. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 02:35 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Vancouver doesnt have any gay areas to speak of, but for the most part it is relatively live and let live. eThat said, best places would be from downtown north on the west side of I5 up through Lake Shore. Also from Downtown east to 192nd and south of Hwy 500. Once you get farther out going north or east the areas are much more conservative. If you really need a more gay atmosphere you would have to go to Portland. And know that no sales taxes in OR offset the income tax situation as WA sales taxes are 9%+.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Doubt you'll find an "intolerant" region in SWWA. For excellent schools that are also quite conservative, I'd steer clear of Hockinson. (Country school district with high LDS and Apostolic Lutheran). Great community to live, but I would not bring a LGBT crisis to their great public school). Other districts are larger, and easier to remain anonymous, or find internal support if needed. Vancouver school district is probably the broadest in diversity, should be no issues for you.

If you want neighbors to 'celebrate' and publicly endorse your stance, you need Oregon (nanny and group think state).

We had a lesbian couple from another income tax free state move to our very rural / conservative region of SWWA. We have a very tight knit community of old-timer neighbors (several very red loggers). Our new neighbors (now 8 yrs present) have been equally treated, greeted, cared for. They'll be at our neighborhood picnic this week. They have also hosted this event and everyone came. We are quite close, and they are good neighbors and friends, and have not had problems living in our community. Even the loggers help them out when needed.

So it (acceptance) really depends on you. I would suggest not driving your views down the throats of others, and WA will likely be fine. If you need to be embraced or pumped up, metro / Vancouver Centro could probably support you. If you need that 24/7, head 7 minutes south. Suburban Portland will be very similar to Vancouver / Clark county as neighbors will accept you, but not promote you. Oregon and Multnomah county legislature will be more keen on granting special privileges if that is required. Of course that nurtures divisiveness, and erodes communities. WA is quite different in that respect. They practice a more holistic approach for the betterment of the community and populous. Not that those policies work or are beneficial, when an "entitlement" attitude prevails. (Anywhere).

Nothing is perfect, pick your poison, and where you can best endure living. Our homes are our retreats. All of our current neighbors appreciate that. What a blessing of peace and community we have.

Enjoy your choice. You have plenty of great ones.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-16-2022 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We had a lesbian couple from another income tax free state move to our very rural / conservative region of SWWA. We have a very tight knit community of old-timer neighbors (several very red loggers). .
what region are you in...it doesn't sound like a good fit and I'll want to avoid it.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcl View Post
what region are you in...it doesn't sound like a good fit and I'll want to avoid it.
Or think about Olympia, about an hour and a half north. Olympia is very liberal, there are lots of trans and gay kids working in the local stores like TJ Max and such, no one pays attention. If you want to stay close to Portland, avoid some of the smaller towns. Not that you’re in danger, but some of the tight knit locals and old timers aren’t exactly enlightened. They’re gritty, work at a mill or lumber yard and have their own views, but this is not unique to Washington. Even so, this being West Washington, you won’t have a problem with most places.

Old 07-16-2022, 11:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I teach in Vancouver and Camas schools.

Frankly either Vancouver or Camas will suit you just fine. The schools are all pretty tolerant and the kids are decent about such things.

I would recommend anywhere within the Mountain View or Union HS attendance zones in the Evergreen School District or the Camas school district. Basically we are talking about the area of East Vancouver that is east of I-205 and south of Mill Plain or 1st Ave. Plus all of Camas.

West Vancouver is fine too when it comes to being LGBT-friendly but the schools over there are lower performing mainly because they have very diverse populations with lots of recent immigrants. Columbia River and Skyview are good schools but they are further north in the Salmon Creek area.

Note, I'm listing high schools because they have the biggest attendance zones. But any of the elementary and middle schools in those areas are fine too.

Based on your criteria I would avoid the areas further out such as Battle Ground, Ridgefield, and Washougal. Not because they are necessarily going to be horrible. But they all trend more rural, Republican, and conservative so you are more likely to encounter bigots in the schools and communities. Plus, those communities (at least Battle Ground and Ridgefield) are having tremendously difficult time passing school levies so their schools are suffering and they are falling further behind in keeping their facilities up to date.

Old 07-19-2022, 11:46 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
So it (acceptance) really depends on you. I would suggest not driving your views down the throats of others, and WA will likely be fine. If you need to be embraced or pumped up, metro / Vancouver Centro could probably support you. If you need that 24/7, head 7 minutes south. Suburban Portland will be very similar to Vancouver / Clark county as neighbors will accept you, but not promote you. Oregon and Multnomah county legislature will be more keen on granting special privileges if that is required. Of course that nurtures divisiveness, and erodes communities. WA is quite different in that respect. They practice a more holistic approach for the betterment of the community and populous. Not that those policies work or are beneficial, when an "entitlement" attitude prevails. (Anywhere).

Your mindset and language is homophobic. You'd be doing gay folks more of a service by not saying anything at all, rather than posting seemingly-friendly, passive aggressive stuff like this.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
The bigots seem to have moved on from gay panic to trans panic. Having lost on gay marriage a decade ago they have moved on to panic about trans kids using the "wrong" bathroom in their kids schools or trans kids playing on their 10 year old daughter's soccer team.

You will definitely get more of that sort of thing in the more rural and redder parts of the county, like for example, Battle Ground. See:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/...th-curriculum/
https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/...ground-sex-ed/
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/...iculum-update/

You will find the schools and community to be more LGBT friendly in Vancouver proper and Camas.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:44 PM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
Where are you moving from?
What line of work or industry?
What else is important to you?

Downton Vancouver is very diverse and has quick access to Portland proper(perfect Tax benefits mix) Its exciting Waterfront project is attracting lots of attention to the area. The schools are excellent I've been told. The police presence is very noticeable and provides a sense of security.

The negative to the area is affordability. The good schools come with a lofty tax burden and a larger barrier to entry due to higher costs and lower inventory compared to other parts of Vancouver.

Hope this helps, send me a dm if you need any details or have specific questions.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
Where are you moving from?
What line of work or industry?
What else is important to you?

Downton Vancouver is very diverse and has quick access to Portland proper(perfect Tax benefits mix) Its exciting Waterfront project is attracting lots of attention to the area. The schools are excellent I've been told. The police presence is very noticeable and provides a sense of security.

The negative to the area is affordability. The good schools come with a lofty tax burden and a larger barrier to entry due to higher costs and lower inventory compared to other parts of Vancouver.

Hope this helps, send me a dm if you need any details or have specific questions.

I'm going to message you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area