Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times

Advertisements

Don't live or work in a real brick building and you should be fine. Your risk of dying in winter storms in the Midwest and Northeast is way higher than any earthquake.

Thankfully most of the housing here are wood framed and the work buildings are largely more contemporary steel reinforced constructions. When I was looking for homes in the area, I crossed out all the brick ones, even the brick facade ones as those bricks can still crash onto you as you instinctively run out of the house, and they are expensive to repair.

Have an emergency kit with food ready, know where your gas and water line shut offs are. Get ShakeAlert installed on all your devices.

Tsunamis for the most part are not going to affect Seattle or Bellevue much.

Last edited by Guineas; 07-14-2022 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 12:09 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Personally, I'd be worried about a 3000' wall of ice coming down from the North Cascades, that will scrape everything in its path in the Chehalis River.
YDMV

Old 07-21-2022, 12:25 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Earthquake anxiety? Meh, that is why they legalized pot, to take care of that.

You need to live your life in the present....but pack a good bug out kit.

I am blown away by people in parts of the country not understanding how we live with the occasional earthquake while they put up with YEARLY hurricanes, tornados, massive flooding.....heck, there is always a downside to any place you live.

I have lived in earthquake zones my entire life. My youth was in the Bay Area, where I experienced a number of quakes. My adulthood was in Seattle area where I watched a crack grow during a quake in a stairwell where I was working....and a few other incidents. Retirement finds me in Central Oregon where threat of quakes is almost zero and besides wildfires every summer, there are not many natural dangers....as long as the Yellowstone Caldera doesn't blow.....always sumthin'
Don't worry about Yellowstone when you got the same issues under your feet.
You do know that South Sister is bulging?
Newberry Caldera shows what can happen when water and lava plumes meet. Fish will be falling from the sky. The ground in Central Oregon is pretty porous.
YDMV

Old 08-02-2022, 01:16 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
Any thoughts about what the cost of earthquake insurance to a typical homeowners policy? Imagine it varies but there is likely some info on average additional cost to premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington