Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 07:01 PM

15 posts, read 10,965 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I just read all of your replies and they really did help me! I tried to thank all of you, (am very grateful) but it said I gave some of you reputation already and that I needed to gain more before I could give you another one ...but thanks so much!

I specifically enjoyed reading your experiences with earthquakes in California/Getting through the Nisqually quake. It also eased my spirits when Derek brought up health issues and other life situations that could keep me on edge rather than an earthquake that occurs every ___ years.

I lived in Oklahoma and Florida from more than 15 years and gone through hurricanes and tornadoes.

How ridiculous anxiety can be..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 12:52 AM

8,075 posts, read 8,393,713 times
It has been 322 years since the Big One struck, with the shortest interval at 390 years and the longest at 570 years. So odds are that it will happen from 68 to 248 years from now, although it could be sooner or later.

Global warming is, by far, the more immediate and greater threat.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:26 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,097,859 times
We keep changing what scares us the most or what is currently the most important thing.
It’s kinda like we do it on que from a conductor.

I’m sure if the media tells us that we are in deep danger from purple lollipops we would figure out how to pick sides.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We keep changing what scares us the most or what is currently the most important thing.
It’s kinda like we do it on que from a conductor.

I’m sure if the media tells us that we are in deep danger from purple lollipops we would figure out how to pick sides.
My insurance agent likes it...

Wildfires, earthquake, flood (We're 1200' above the river, but deemed a flood risk (unstable soils).) Ins agent will be 1150' under water before we get our toes wet.

The last earthquake (~1992) was a real shaker, we had (2) fairly close together (within a yr). Light fixtures were swinging and plates fell from cupboard.

Liquefaction (as in Alaska and Christchurch) will have lasting effects after a we_tside Quake.

Bring your overshoes!

Old 06-17-2022, 12:12 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,428,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxGirl5 View Post
Hey guys..

I currently live in Bellevue & lately, I've been really having some serious anxiety about a huge earthquake hitting here during my lifetime. (.. especially sometime soon..)

....I'd like to get a separate opinion or another idea about this from someone else so I can ease my worries.
Have Quake insurance and know what actions to take in the event of a Quake.

Worries won't change anything.

It's mental, IMO.

Best of luck.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:31 PM

1,066 posts, read 895,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My insurance agent likes it...

Wildfires, earthquake, flood (We're 1200' above the river, but deemed a flood risk (unstable soils).) Ins agent will be 1150' under water before we get our toes wet.

The last earthquake (~1992) was a real shaker, we had (2) fairly close together (within a yr). Light fixtures were swinging and plates fell from cupboard.

Liquefaction (as in Alaska and Christchurch) will have lasting effects after a we_tside Quake.

Bring your overshoes!
Your insurance agent is using actuarial data, not fear based rating.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,917,203 times
Earthquakes will happen again in western Washington. (Tornados and hurricanes are extremely unlikely.) So what you are looking at is making your home earthquake proof. Not an easy process but common sense. There are plenty of experts to help, but generally ignored.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:30 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,217,712 times
How do you overcome anxiety? You see a mental health care professional and possible take medication if the anxiety is bad enough to be debilitating. If earthquake anxiety is really ruining your life, you move away and live in a location where there are no earthquakes.

Earthquakes happen. Humans have no control over earthquakes. The only possible and slight control is to build earthquake resistant structures or to stay away from the large faults.

The earth is a jiggly place with lots of disaster stuff happening everywhere. Mother Nature doesn't care about your comfort and you adjust to her; she is not going to adjust to you.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,097,859 times
I do believe the town of Hollister in California has the most earthquakes.
Spend a couple weeks there, enjoy a bunch of little ones and you will soon be over your phobia.
On a plus note it’s about 40 miles from Monterey so you won’t be to bored .

Old 06-21-2022, 11:16 AM

8,184 posts, read 8,334,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxGirl5 View Post
Hey guys..

I currently live in Bellevue & lately, I've been really having some serious anxiety about a huge earthquake hitting here during my lifetime. (.. especially sometime soon..)

I've read that people who have been here awhile don't "worry" about earthquakes because it doesn't cross their minds. However, when it does, how do you keep anxiety over it at bay?

I've tried to rationalize things such as "everybody's gonna go somehow and someday" but that doesn't work. I think what's scaring me is the experience itself, not necessarily a possible death. I keep thinking my apartment will collapse and the people above me will be in my room by the time it's all over ...or that one of these huge monster trees are gonna come crashing through the patio door.

I'd like to get a separate opinion or another idea about this from someone else so I can ease my worries.
Get earthquake insurance, live on relatively level ground and know that statistics are in your favor. You can do common sense stuff, like prepare an earthquake kit. Here are some ideas: https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-emerg...eed-earthquake

Above all, don't let your reasonable worries become anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington