Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 10:56 AM

169 posts, read 168,705 times

Advertisements

Hello
There's a chance I could be moving to Tacoma (or Seattle if I choose to commute) for job related reasons. I'm researching areas to live as I have a family with a 4 year old, so good schools are obviously a big part of the equation. Our family is mixed race so we also want to be comfortable in that regard. Personally, we like being near places that are walkable to shops, restaurants, cafes, etc and would like to be near recreation for our child. I also want to be somewhere safe for my family where my wife is comfortable walking down the street with our child.

Excuse me if I sound naive, but I just don't know much about the area so any insight would be helpful. Assume money isn't much of an issue because quite honestly, we do well (no we're not in tech). I would just like some insight as I consider this career move because I want my family to be happy (as they say, "happy wife, happy life")

Thanks

(Yes. We are one of "those" transplants. We apologize if us considering coming there makes life worse, but honestly, we're pretty normal low key people.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 12:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you end up working in Tacoma, I would suggest Maple Valley as a safe community, with good schools. It's about a half hour commute via Highways 18 and 5. We came from the Bay Area in 1993 and settled here in Sammamish because of the low crime and schools, but a commute to Tacoma would be a nightmare. I work in Seattle and that's 30 minutes in the morning, as much as 50 minutes coming home. If you do decide to work there, most all eastside schools are good, in the Bellevue, Lake Washington and Northshore districts, and the best are on Mercer Island.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:27 PM

146 posts, read 154,066 times
I would pick other places rather than most of Tacoma if money isn’t a concern. Just my 2 cents, good luck on the move.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:44 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
I would pick other places rather than most of Tacoma if money isn’t a concern. Just my 2 cents, good luck on the move.
If money isn't a concern there are many options in Tacoma and area.
OP, how many minutes from your office/other do you want to be?

Old 06-14-2022, 09:04 PM

169 posts, read 168,705 times
I honestly don't want to be in a car more than 30-45 minutes, but a commute of this amount or maybe more would be worth it if the neighborhood is great. Like what are the parts of Tacoma where the professionals live or do they commute from outside Tacoma?

Old 06-15-2022, 07:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post
I honestly don't want to be in a car more than 30-45 minutes, but a commute of this amount or maybe more would be worth it if the neighborhood is great. Like what are the parts of Tacoma where the professionals live or do they commute from outside Tacoma?
There is the North End Waterfront area, and Brown's Point, anything near non-industrial waterfront. I know people working there that live in either Puyallup or Gig Harbor, but check the stats, both are fairly high crime though neither as bad as most of Tacoma.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:09 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post
Personally, we like being near places that are walkable to shops, restaurants, cafes, etc and would like to be near recreation for our child.
Consider Tacoma's Northend (Stadium, Old Town, Proctor, etc.). For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...49203287_zpid/

This is 4-bd/3-ba duplex, where you could occupy the 2-bd/2-ba unit, while renting out the other unit. Or you could convert it back to a SFH. Otherwise, just take this as an example for the area.

Schools: Lowell K-5 (9/10 at Great Schools), Annie Wright Schools (Private), St. Patrick Catholic School K-8 - all within walking distance.

Parks: Garfield Park/Playground (walking distance), Wright Park/Conservatory, Puget Creek Gardens & Picnic Area/Natural Area, Ruston Way Park, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.

Shops, Restaurants & Cafes: Many in adjacent/surrounding areas.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Agreeing to North End and Browns Point. Years ago I would have suggested Gig Harbor (I grew up there) but it's getting crowded and adds a bridge fee.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
University Place probably has the top rated schools in Pierce County (Tacoma area). It probably comes closest to what you are seeking, especially if you can afford it.

https://youtu.be/JK-2QhRXLXc
https://youtu.be/oyRuXVPDraA

Also Gig Harbor which is the town across the Tacoma Narrows bridge so further away and a toll bridge commute back to Tacoma.

Last edited by texasdiver; 06-15-2022 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 08:54 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Hi Tiggidy,

Since you mention safety for your family as a concern and a transplant, I must speak to you a bit about crime. Tacoma has had a long history of crime related issues which have plagued it. Many native Washingtonians will warn newbies against it since they are unfamiliar with the area and what they might be getting into. I see you are coming from SF and so are not unfamiliar with urban crime. Just be aware that there is this element in the greater Tacoma region and it is not without some degree of risk depending on where you are located and when you or your wife is wandering about. You need to go in with eyes wide open vs. starry eyed and then become surprised later.

I just spent the weekend in Tacoma moving our son back home who also recently graduated from the University of WA Tacoma. He also lived on campus and so we have some experience with the area. If you actually spend some time there you will find some nice neighborhoods along with some which are just so so and others I would not want any friend or family member to hang out in. You could probably think of similar type locations within SF where you don't want to be walking around alone after dark.

You must visit the city first to gain a sense first hand of your impressions including the gritty/grungy side. In terms of areas to recommend, I suggest a bit different approach to your research. Look at both crime maps and school maps. There is usually a correlation when it comes to decent places with greater safety for families. Here is a heat map to check out just for starters. Avoid the red and look to the areas in green for more info.

Tacoma, WA Violent Crime Rates and Maps

Generally, as you get further out from the urban core it starts to improve. I really like the Ruston area near Pt. Defiance. There are some very nice public gardens and walkable areas there for families. I would strongly encourage looking into Gig Harbor and surrounding neighborhoods right across the bridge along with University Place as well as those further north and east. Browns Point looks pretty good in terms of safety. Though I haven't visited that section of town. I have visited some nice suburbs out east around Milton. The Lake Tapps neighborhood has some beautiful homes surrounding the lake with amazing views of Mt. Rainier. I'd give that a closer look for sure.

Hope that helps! We moved to WA from the Monterey Bay, BTW. Tacoma was a bit scary for my son, initially. But he's young, strong and adaptable. So, it wasn't too bad for him and he really enjoyed the university along with local friends he made while living there.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington