Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 03:45 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Today I had to go into "town" for a doctor appointment & a couple of errands. On Front Street I saw 2 different people walking & talking to themselves. No, they were not talking on phones. One kept spinning in circles & flipping the bird at people.

There were not one, but 2 cardboard sign people at the Walmart entrance.

A crew was working on the remains of one of the last historic brick buildings on Front Street that some houseless folk set on fire.

I drove to Ediz Hook to stop & eat lunch & on the way saw a man with his car parked up by the bluff side, with a big pile of garbage, pitching a tent. The homeless outreach said he was contacted to move on out over the weekend. They said to me "He's still there?"

On a side street between Front & First, I saw a woman standing next to a car, changing clothes. She had stripped down to her bra & underpants. In front of a dance studio on First Street where people take their kids, a man was laying on the sidewalk, curled into a ball. I had to drive up an alley to change directions & drove past a guy in a long cape, carrying what appeared to be a long-handled ax over his shoulder. He had a big grin on his face. He caught up to me just about when I could safely pull into traffic & yes, it was an ax & no, he wasn't a lumberjack. This was a different guy than the one carrying a machete a few weeks ago. At least this time when I stopped to get food, there wasn't a guy with a tarp trying to lay in the half-dead bushes by the sidewalk yelling at nothing.

I had to pay attention to my driving, so I could only count graffiti-like markings on 4 buildings, one fence, 2 dumpsters.

All of this was between 1:00 p.m. & 4:35 p.m. on a Monday afternoon.

As I drove out of town, I thought to myself, "I once worked in this area, took walks on my lunch break, worked in an unlocked office after dark". Hmmmm...
Ditto Bellingham only magnified by the difference in population. Last week 20 mountain bikes for underserved youth (Vamos) were stolen from a locked trailer near the pump tracks by the bay. These are lowlifes that would steal from kids, many who anticipate riding their bikes. It is getting out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 10:14 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'd drive into Portland Oregon, foster road, then Lombard going back to 205. Talk about garbage piles everywhere, abandoned vehicles ...

What with tight rules, we're not seeing too many more in Vancouver, wondering what next in 5 years.
Garbage and etc. probably left overs from the Portland riots of 2020/21.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
Settling for less is the path to the wrong way
Once you start settling for things that are lesser than we normally would tolerate the lesser things become accepted as the new normal.
Me, I’m not liking the “new normal”.
There is a lot wrong with it.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Settling for less is the path to the wrong way
Once you start settling for things that are lesser than we normally would tolerate the lesser things become accepted as the new normal.
Me, I’m not liking the “new normal”.
There is a lot wrong with it.
Exactly. And once the lower standard for civilized behavior becomes the new normal, the downward spiral keeps going.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:59 PM

38 posts, read 41,726 times
While this post describes Port Angeles, I feel like this could really describe any Western Washington city.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:05 PM

11,482 posts, read 6,008,999 times
I haven't set foot in Port Angeles since...

Sheesh, when was it? 2003? 1998? Yes. It has been that long.

Port Angeles back then was rural, gritty, a little dumpy & dirty, a little seedy but safe and no homeless people. Sad to hear it has gotten the modern treatment. Very sad to hear this. It was never an elegant, glamorous place. It was always blue collar, but it was safe enough.

How is Port Townsend these days? Still quaint and beautiful and historic, or has it been impacted by the modern decay/malaise as well? Please tell me "no." Those homes were beautiful.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I haven't set foot in Port Angeles since...

Sheesh, when was it? 2003? 1998? Yes. It has been that long.

Port Angeles back then was rural, gritty, a little dumpy & dirty, a little seedy but safe and no homeless people. Sad to hear it has gotten the modern treatment. Very sad to hear this. It was never an elegant, glamorous place. It was always blue collar, but it was safe enough.

How is Port Townsend these days? Still quaint and beautiful and historic, or has it been impacted by the modern decay/malaise as well? Please tell me "no." Those homes were beautiful.
Yes. PT was like a magnet for bums several years ago (visibly worse each year) , and from what I’ve heard and read, it got even worse.

The beautiful homes should still exist...jammed cheek by jowel with new ADUs.

Gorgeous setting, not so nice a human environment.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:30 AM

11,482 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yes. PT was like a magnet for bums several years ago (visibly worse each year) , and from what I’ve heard and read, it got even worse.

The beautiful homes should still exist...jammed cheek by jowel with new ADUs.

Gorgeous setting, not so nice a human environment.
I am very sad. Thanks for the update though. I wanted the truth, even if the truth hurts.

Can't 'rep' you again so consider this rep.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am very sad. Thanks for the update though. I wanted the truth, even if the truth hurts.

Can't 'rep' you again so consider this rep.
It’s probably still good for just visiting.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:28 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I drive through PT every few weeks or so.
To me it’s not so bad but I don’t live there.

It’s head and shoulders above Port Angeles homeless drug addict wise.
I’d wager that there are more panhandlers in Sequim but I frequent there often and cringe each time I see the usual suspects.

My main gripe w/PT is getting a blast of that smell when I don’t expect it.
Many years ago when I was younger I put some time in a couple of paper mills to pay the bills and hated every minute of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington