Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 10:15 AM

6,305 posts, read 3,457,459 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else disappointed in having their local newspaper delivered by mail.
I know I am as three times I never got my paper delivered and once the neighbor got my paper in her mail box and another time when I didn't get a paper I got two the following day.
Our Peninsula Daily (except Sunday and Holidays) News (which is now two days late) sucks and I am thinking about cancelling.

How do you Northern Peninsula residents think about newspaper mail delivery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 11:27 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,702,133 times
You must be of a certain age. Older than Gen X. Nobody in my generation does print. Heck, even my Boomer parents stopped getting an actual news papers. I think once the NYT had digital copies that was it for them.

Surely you realize why printed paper delivery stinks now, right?

Old 04-10-2022, 11:52 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,097,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You must be of a certain age. Older than Gen X. Nobody in my generation does print. Heck, even my Boomer parents stopped getting an actual news papers. I think once the NYT had digital copies that was it for them.

That is why YOUR generation isn't very productive and a expense to society.

I have nothing against computers.

I learned to program in 1973. I also learned that computers do some thing very well, and are a complete waste of time for other things.

The first decision, is this simpler dealing with paper or does it make sense to use a digital product.

E-Books are fine. I read them in preference to printed books. Professional reference books, those I prefer on paper.

Newspapers.....I insist on paper. I can quickly scan the articles in a newspaper and read the ones I want to read. Flipping through page after page after page on a IPAD to see which articles I want to read is a waste of my time. But I do read have a digital account for a newspaper when I travel and that I appreciate.

Not the mention the time wasted dealing with dowload times, managing passwords, troubleshooting, etc. etc.

Add up the hours you waste dealing with tech support in one year. On a professional level, e-mails are the most unproductive use of time. I remember the mail cart came around twice a day in one of my first professional jobs.

Quick glance, at the inbox to check which items had a X on them. That meant my boss wanted me to deal with it and take care of it. It was VERY EFFICIENT. By the end of career, I felt it was an accomplishment if a clean out my emails. NOT that I accomplished anything, except I cleaned out my emails!!!

If I owned a business I would go back to mail carts. The employees would be more productive and we would be much richer as a society.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,569,102 times
I have both but I enjoy print copies,like the previous post said,I can quickly move on to the next article,I can take it anywhere ,before bedtime,in the bathroom,lie on the couch in a comfy position and there is no glare ?
I can stream a movie which I have SEEN BEFORE and read at the same time,only look up at the screen when there is an act I like to watch again.
not to mention you can use the paper to clean your windows or Wrap a dead fish to send a message to your enemy(remember the movie GODFATHER?)

Old 04-10-2022, 02:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,455,618 times
Quote:

You've never seen the newspaper up here. It's tiny, but often has local news & information not found on FB (which many, myself included, hate), or Next door or any of that crap. There is a digital version of the local paper, but way too pricey IMO.

After covid, there just weren't enough people willing to drive a rural paper route, a lot of driving & work for little compensation, so the extremely reliable USPS stepped up.

I still enjoy a newspaper in one hand & cup of coffee in the other. There's nothing like it.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 8,417,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I still enjoy a newspaper in one hand & cup of coffee in the other. There's nothing like it.

For me it was a comforting morning ritual over breakfast, with coffee, and a cigarette afterwards. I think I quit the cigies first, and then the newspaper, but still must have coffee with a bite in the morning. I finally stopped the newspaper when it became 3/4s advertising, especially on Sundays, making for a very hefty bundle, and which stacked up in piles in my apartment, which I then had to "haul" out. I do worry that we have let go of essential supports of our democracy, they being a free press and an informed citizenry.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That is why YOUR generation isn't very productive and a expense to society.

I have nothing against computers.

I learned to program in 1973. I also learned that computers do some thing very well, and are a complete waste of time for other things.

The first decision, is this simpler dealing with paper or does it make sense to use a digital product.

E-Books are fine. I read them in preference to printed books. Professional reference books, those I prefer on paper.

Newspapers.....I insist on paper. I can quickly scan the articles in a newspaper and read the ones I want to read. Flipping through page after page after page on a IPAD to see which articles I want to read is a waste of my time. But I do read have a digital account for a newspaper when I travel and that I appreciate.

Not the mention the time wasted dealing with dowload times, managing passwords, troubleshooting, etc. etc.

Add up the hours you waste dealing with tech support in one year. On a professional level, e-mails are the most unproductive use of time. I remember the mail cart came around twice a day in one of my first professional jobs.

Quick glance, at the inbox to check which items had a X on them. That meant my boss wanted me to deal with it and take care of it. It was VERY EFFICIENT. By the end of career, I felt it was an accomplishment if a clean out my emails. NOT that I accomplished anything, except I cleaned out my emails!!!

If I owned a business I would go back to mail carts. The employees would be more productive and we would be much richer as a society.
Wow man, you need to come off of it. I am in no way judging those that want or prefer a printed paper. Printed paper is great, but it's just a matter of fact -not opinion- that there are less and less people reading printed papers and, conversely, with each passing year there are more and more adult -maturing adults, like myself (yep, I'm at the appropriate age to be dealing with premenopausal symptoms)- that simply don't have a strong enough preference for print to get a print subscription.

Good grief...

Because of this news papers are consequently having a harder time managing the cost of delivery with fewer subscriptions. Maybe the mail service makes it cheaper, after all, they're already stopping by with the regular mail?

Don't like it? Well, offer to pay more... perhaps a lot more.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,097,258 times
Quote:
Wow man, you need to come off of it. I am in no way judging those that want or prefer a printed paper..........

your previous quote......

Your NOT making JUDGEMENTS??

YOUR REALLY BELIEVE THAT??

Read your post again....I had a professor once say...."always argue the idea, not the person".

Don't like when the tables are turned on you??

Old 04-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Your NOT making JUDGEMENTS??

YOUR REALLY BELIEVE THAT??

Read your post again....I had a professor once say...."always argue the idea, not the person".

Don't like when the tables are turned on you??
Yes. I believe there are less people reading printed news papers today than 30 years ago. I also believe there are more people reading news online than 30 years ago. LOL

Old 04-10-2022, 06:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,956,122 times
For some of us older than 55, there is a tactile feeling of going through a printed newspaper. It brings good feelings to those of a certain age if your family grew up with them. We got both the Seattle Times and the Seattle PI. I suppose this will die eventually, probably continued decline for the next decade and probably very rare in 20 years. Too bad. Edit: I misunderstood the topic, I thought it was comparing printed versions vs online. Again, prefer printed. I suppose I would not care for a mailed paper. I want the news right off the press, even if it is old news at that point. I had a Seattle PI route at age 14 and the one thing I remembered was folks wanted their paper on time, sometimes waiting for me outside their door. This would have been 1974. But I am kind of old fashioned. And get off my lawn!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-10-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: