Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 06:33 PM

14,553 posts, read 12,209,100 times

Advertisements

I think the newspaper at the kitchen table was a little more social than online... We'd trade sections and talk about it... I guess we do that now too, but there's less tactile *feel* to reading on screens.

Yeah pnwguy.... we cross posted about the *feel* of the paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 07:15 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,685,866 times
I had noticed even before Covid that there were less papers in coffee shops and doctor's offices... post-covid you can't find any printed materials. Sometimes I don't have my phone on me or I don't want to waste battery so I always have to have a back up on me... usually my kindle or an actual book... but still... I miss the papers and magazines.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,097,859 times
When I was a spud I delivered the morning paper and the afternoon paper.
I was told to and motivated to because I could save and spend my money on anything I wanted.
Switch blades, cherry bombs, booze or whatever.
Mom was even cool with me sneaking contraband stuff home from Tijuana.
I wasn’t a drug guy but l liked cool toys .

Kids now are missing a lesson.

The other year my mom asked for a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle.
Holy crap!
Nothing cheap about it!
Freaking paper cost more than my first few cars or motorcycles for a daily delivery.

The one in Sequim costs a buck and is so small I could probably fold it up and completely put it in my pocket.

As mentioned, it does go good with a cup of coffee .

Old 04-11-2022, 10:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,917,203 times
Of course the days of mom & dad waiting on the morning or afternoon paper to get the news are over for the most part. I think the point here is the electronic media has greatly changed this behavior. That said, many still like to sit down and read a paper today without having to look at a screen. It doesn’t mean they are old fashioned, it just means the experience is more meaningful. As in instead of being read to they are actually reading.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:14 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,447,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The one in Sequim costs a buck and is so small I could probably fold it up and completely put it in my pocket.

You might be confusing PDN with the Sequim Gazette....the latter is a weekly publication, same as the Forks Forum

Old 04-12-2022, 05:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
dont feel sorry for those who deliver your newspaper in the morning,they are well compensated,besides,around Xmas they will send you a card and I usually send back a card with a tip,$25-$35

Old 04-12-2022, 08:43 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Perhaps the hurried generation has never realized that there is a lot more in a newspaper that never makes it online. I guess they wouldn't know that if they have never actually seen a newspaper.

As for the mail, where I am and at the place I moved from (different states) the mail service was pretty unreliable. I suppose just like anyone else, they have trouble getting good people. Only for them, when they get a bad worker, they can't get rid of them. Or maybe it is just because their younger workers can't read addresses that are written in cursive.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:45 AM

6,275 posts, read 3,434,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

My PDN on Monday was $1.50. I don't know what the Saturday (the old Sunday's) because I didn't get it in the mail.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
You might be confusing PDN with the Sequim Gazette....the latter is a weekly publication, same as the Forks Forum
The Gazette has a lot of Sequim area news and is about three+ more pages than the PDN.
I find it interesting that the PDN covers four areas (Forks, PA, Sequim and PT) but the PA/Sequim paper is loaded with PT news which has little interest to me and I am wondering if people in Forks has any interest at all in PT news. I have never seen a PT paper and I wonder if it has Forks, PA and Sequim news?

Old 04-12-2022, 09:59 AM

Replacing news carriers with the mail post person is a bad idea.

Not only did it put a lot of people out of work the paper increased prices too boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: