Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 02:10 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,678,267 times

Advertisements

Keep the time fixed and then change business operating hours based on when you want to work/relax. There's no need to have everyone use the exact same opening times and then change our clocks based on how high the sky the sun should be for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 08:23 AM

576 posts, read 2,262,629 times
I’m with those who don’t have a strong preference one way or the other. Just pick one, DST or ST, and stick with it. It’s the flip flopping the clocks back and forth that most people hate. It’s been aptly described as archaic and serving no useful purpose.

IMO one’s preference for DST or ST will likely depend upon a couple of factors- which part of the US you live in and which part of the day (mainly winter months) you prefer gaining more daylight. I’ve played around with DST calculators online that let you input latest acceptable sunrise times and latest acceptable sunset times that you prefer and it was interesting. I’d guess that people who prefer more morning go to work/school daylight hours would tend to prefer ST. Those who prefer more end of the day/after work hours of light would like DST better.

Admittedly just generalizations-

Old 03-22-2022, 07:08 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,908,556 times
Does WA prefer more daylight in the afternoon or morning? This is basically what it comes down to. I still say keep it as is.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:42 PM

657 posts, read 1,338,330 times
I never considered it a trauma when twice a year we reset the clocks before going to bed on a Saturday, for crying out loud when one gets up on Sunday morning does it really make a difference, this pitiful little hour?
On the other hand if DST is going away I would prefer to have Standard Time, cant imagine not having daylight in the winters until 9:00am.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:19 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,145,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
I never considered it a trauma when twice a year we reset the clocks before going to bed on a Saturday, for crying out loud when one gets up on Sunday morning does it really make a difference, this pitiful little hour?
On the other hand if DST is going away I would prefer to have Standard Time, cant imagine not having daylight in the winters until 9:00am.
It's not about waking up one morning. It creates a lot of health problems and car accidents.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:43 PM

1,369 posts, read 716,306 times
It’s also a major problem for complex scientific computing. Having to explain to a computer that it just time traveled while it is in the middle of some deep calculation about the mysteries of the universe can’t be fun.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,908,556 times
But for regular folks, no it is quite easy. Today you just set your system for the time change with one click. However even this is not necessary because most phone devices will already do this. Seriously the only clocks that need to be changed are that are not run online. If you run a manual clock at home, yes you need to make the manual change. I have a couple of those in my home. Usually my microwave is the only other thing I must manually change. For some odd reason I actually enjoy the time change!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-24-2022 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-26-2022, 02:21 PM

https://www.king5.com/amp/article/ne...2-df43b3d61626

The House is pumping the brakes, and Pramila Jayapal is one of the power brokers here who is voicing caution because of *our* concerns. A key opportunity to email her with your thoughts and for a way for you to participate in your democracy.

https://jayapal.house.gov/contact/

Old 03-26-2022, 05:13 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
https://www.king5.com/amp/article/ne...2-df43b3d61626

The House is pumping the brakes, and Pramila Jayapal is one of the power brokers here who is voicing caution because of *our* concerns. A key opportunity to email her with your thoughts and for a way for you to participate in your democracy.

https://jayapal.house.gov/contact/
That's interesting. From the article: "Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., told The Hill that her constituents in Seattle are concerned a permanent move to daylight saving time will mean some winter mornings there will be dark until nearly 9 a.m. Jayapal, however, said she is supportive of ending the clock change."

So, does that mean she is supportive of permanent DST or she wants permanent standard time? It's kinda hard to tell. Overall, the House appears to be stalling a bit and could reject the change. I guess time will tell. I'm not sure when they are scheduled to vote on it. But it looks like its in for a long haul review before a decision is made after consideration is given to both sides of the proposed change.

Derek

Old 03-26-2022, 06:20 PM

I’d say she’s supportive of ending the need to change the clock, but not necessarily decided on which time and whether it’s feasible. It’s a good lawyerly response that doesn’t pin her to a position until she’s ready to make one and has heard from experts, constituents and special interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: