Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 05:24 PM

148 posts, read 291,015 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
We are planning to relocate to Washington later this year and are looking at different aerospace companies.
A company my husband might be interested in, is Blue Origin, but so far, we haven't found much info about them on the internet.
We know Jeff Bezos founded it, but couldn't locate reviews about employment, benefits, work/life balance, etc.
Any personal experience or firsthand knowledge you locals might have and are willing to share would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 12:08 AM

1,369 posts, read 715,594 times
Did you not check on Glassdoor? A quick search shows 387 reviews and 2000 job data points, I believe.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:45 AM

Thank you for replying.
My husband has access to that site; I do not since I do not work in that field.
I believe silence says a great deal. I have read many horror stories about how Amazon employees have been treated by Bezos and these were not confined to Glassdoor. So should an opportunity with that company, Blue Origin, arise, we will just have to weigh what we know with other factors, such as changing jobs at a later date as others have done. After all, it is up to my husband to read between the lines to find a good fit anyway. And also if we need to relocate yet again, that will factor in to where we ultimately end up.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Thank you for replying.
I believe silence says a great deal. I have read many horror stories about how Amazon employees have been treated by Bezos and these were not confined to Glassdoor. So should an opportunity with that company, Blue Origin, arise, we will just have to weigh what we know with other factors, such as changing jobs at a later date as others have done. After all, it is up to my husband to read between the lines to find a good fit anyway. And also if we need to relocate yet again, that will factor in to where we ultimately end up.
I’m not in that field, so no personal input. It gets 3.4 out of 5 on GD, but again, nothing that I’ve done a deep dive on. That is pretty standard for large corps, I think. I would presume that a lot depends on the role and responsibilities.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2022, 04:37 PM

467 posts, read 527,479 times
Don’t know if this is any help, but I just noticed this article in today’s Colombian.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2022/...d-puget-sound/

Old 03-06-2022, 09:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times
I’ve heard mixed reviews about it

Old 03-06-2022, 09:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 893,520 times
Quote:
Thank you for replying.
Just an fyi, anyone can look up any company.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:19 PM

Thank you all for your replies and tips!
With Glassdoor, unless you work for a similar company and can post a review of a company (which as a singer/actress and VO artist who hasn't been able to pursue a career for some time where I live, I simply can't do) you cannot access all the listings. My husband as a professional engineer already has full access and will be reading all available data.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies and tips!
With Glassdoor, unless you work for a similar company and can post a review of a company (which as a singer/actress and VO artist who hasn't been able to pursue a career for some time where I live, I simply can't do) you cannot access all the listings. My husband as a professional engineer already has full access and will be reading all available data.
Ha, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the update, it’s nice for me to learn something new

Old 03-08-2022, 07:15 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
I’m not in that field, so no personal input. It gets 3.4 out of 5 on GD, but again, nothing that I’ve done a deep dive on. That is pretty standard for large corps, I think. I would presume that a lot depends on the role and responsibilities.

Good luck!
I work in the industry for a large company and have worked for others as well. Similar to small or midsized companies, they can vary quite a bit from hiring, firing, layoff practices, to total compensation, annual increases, bonuses, 401k matching, work/life balance, growth opportunities, overall corporate culture and sense that they take care of their employees... or not.

3.4 on GD is actually pretty bad especially when you look at the other factors such as only 59% recommending it to a friend and a measly 34% approval of the CEO. You then compare that with it's other reviews online which tend to be similar in terms of lower ratings than other top aerospace companies.

Lockheed Martin is rated 4.1 with 85% recommending it a friend and 86% approving of their CEO. Northrop Grumman is similar. Boeing is probably the next rung up from the bottom which still rates higher overall at 3.8 with 72% recommending it to a friend and 73% approving the CEO.

Off course you have to consider that as one data point even if a larger sampling than most online. Heading over to Indeed, the rating of BO is even lower at 3.0: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Blue-Origin/reviews

Then, there are articles like this one in the Washington Post about the toxic work environment: "Inside Blue Origin: Employees say toxic, dysfunctional ‘bro culture’ led to mistrust, low morale and delays at Jeff Bezos’s space venture." https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...xic-workplace/

All this to say there is enough information online to give one pause for thought before jumping into that kind of situation. I know it does me if considering working there and I've been approached by them before. Maybe you wind up in an excellent part of the company with a great immediate group of coworkers and managers that beat the odds? Or, maybe not? There are no guarantees that working at Lockheed would be better, for example. But odds are more in your favor with many of the other companies. There's always a bit of gamble and luck involved when starting a new job somewhere. It's not fun to go from a company that one likes relatively well, even if not perfect, to one which is worse overall. And that's a real possibility even if they give you an initial bump in pay. Then what?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-08-2022 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington