Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 03:30 AM

148 posts, read 290,835 times

Advertisements

Hi MtnSurfer,
Thanks for a lengthy and well-documented reply.
The concerns you raised are exactly why I posted here, hoping to find out more than Indeed or Glassdoor offers in their reviews.
Funny you mention LM - that is my husband's current company and they do offer excellent benefits and overall they have been a great company for my husband since he began working there in early 2019 but........
in order to leave Colorado (as we have to do),he has to find a different company. My husband is committed to continuing to work in space as opposed to, I believe, in aerospace. LM does not provide this kind of work in WA. and his current group only has positions available in Silicon Valley (!!!!!), which as you probably know is absurdly overpriced, way beyond WA. or CO.
I too am concerned about many of the things I have been able to read (including the article that you provided a link to), but my husband does want to open a dialogue and see if there is interest there and what it might lead to.
We are about to put the house on the market (hopefully by May) and if all goes well, we will have a nice cushion to fall back on, since we will only rent, should the unthinkable happen(i.e., another lay off or total burn out ) with his next job.
Staying in Colorado for any job, is like being buried alive (to me at least). For my husband, he does like this job, and he tolerates the schizophrenic climate far better than I do, and he can enjoy winter outdoor activities, but he is aware that there is nothing for me here, either professionally or personally (no performing arts opportunities nor any friends, just indifferent acquaintances).
The time to relocate is severely past due, and my husband needs to find a job very soon, or else we will have to rent here (something for which I have no appetite and I find quite unappealing.)
Those who read my posts about wanting to leave from last year and questioned why we were still here, will understand just how important it is we get out now, when we are finally able to.
There are other companies which my husband has to investigate and whatever company he ends up with, I do hope it will be a good fit for his skills and not the soul sucking people disposal that BO definitely sounds like.
I will keep you all abreast of the latest developments as they occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 10:46 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Hi MtnSurfer,
Thanks for a lengthy and well-documented reply.
The concerns you raised are exactly why I posted here, hoping to find out more than Indeed or Glassdoor offers in their reviews.
Funny you mention LM - that is my husband's current company and they do offer excellent benefits and overall they have been a great company for my husband since he began working there in early 2019 but........
in order to leave Colorado (as we have to do),he has to find a different company. My husband is committed to continuing to work in space as opposed to, I believe, in aerospace. LM does not provide this kind of work in WA. and his current group only has positions available in Silicon Valley (!!!!!), which as you probably know is absurdly overpriced, way beyond WA. or CO.
I too am concerned about many of the things I have been able to read (including the article that you provided a link to), but my husband does want to open a dialogue and see if there is interest there and what it might lead to.
We are about to put the house on the market (hopefully by May) and if all goes well, we will have a nice cushion to fall back on, since we will only rent, should the unthinkable happen(i.e., another lay off or total burn out ) with his next job.
Staying in Colorado for any job, is like being buried alive (to me at least). For my husband, he does like this job, and he tolerates the schizophrenic climate far better than I do, and he can enjoy winter outdoor activities, but he is aware that there is nothing for me here, either professionally or personally (no performing arts opportunities nor any friends, just indifferent acquaintances).
The time to relocate is severely past due, and my husband needs to find a job very soon, or else we will have to rent here (something for which I have no appetite and I find quite unappealing.)
Those who read my posts about wanting to leave from last year and questioned why we were still here, will understand just how important it is we get out now, when we are finally able to.
There are other companies which my husband has to investigate and whatever company he ends up with, I do hope it will be a good fit for his skills and not the soul sucking people disposal that BO definitely sounds like.
I will keep you all abreast of the latest developments as they occur.
DallasYankee,

We also knew when it was time for us to move from CO out west. QOL is different for everyone. It's important to know yourself and not stay someplace you are unhappy even if others seem to enjoy it or there are good jobs there. Overall QOL sounds like the most important thing for the both of you which extends beyond work itself. Since staying in CO is not the goal, I agree that its worth a further look into BO. He will have to carefully consider any position they may offer to address some of his concerns and professional goals.

Another option he might consider relates to remote opportunities. Remote work is becoming much more prevalent in areas which traditionally did not allow it pre-Covid. Many companies now offer this as an option which may include some travel. Of course, every program and management team is different. But I wouldn't totally discount that before looking more into possibilities with companies not in WA.

If he must remain in space vs. aerospace, wants to live in WA and cannot or does not want a remote gig, then he will likely need to make 'some' concessions. That might include a downgrade in companies if staying in space is the most important thing. I would guess LM, NG, SpaceX, Boeing, etc... have 'some' remote opportunities though maybe not not in the same exact area he is looking. Could he expand that career search a bit wider, perhaps, even within Space?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-10-2022 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington