Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 08:52 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Climate change is always changing.

But attributing every unusual weather event to climate change, particularly considering our tendency to be selective in our memories, is slowly eroding the term of any true meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 12:26 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Climate change is always changing.

But attributing every unusual weather event to climate change, particularly considering our tendency to be selective in our memories, is slowly eroding the term of any true meaning.
Any time there are unique climactic events, climate change will 'always' be a part of the conversation. It doesn't mean everything is caused by it. Rather, it will be one of the factors to consider which neither validates nor invalidates climate change. It's simply a part of life as we know it going forward. If you listen to the UW climatologist regarding WA's new record high from last summer, she discusses aspects which are and are and are not related to climate change. It will always be a valid question to asking and consider as a discussion point.

Here's a recent UW article discussing the recent events and their relationship to decreasing snowpack and warmer winters in the PNW as it relates to climate change.

“With climate change we do expect to see less snow in the lower elevations just due to warmer winters, especially in western Washington where we don’t really get below freezing very often,” Bumbaco said. “So, as our climate warms and changes we’re just going to be over that [temperature] threshold for snow more often.” -- Trends show decreasing snowfall in the Pacific Northwest, potential impacts to water supply

Whether some will attempt to discredit climate change as whole is more of a political/ideological debate and side show (there they go again) similar to current hysteria over vaccines and masking. These debates are ideologic wars which don't change science and the fact that, yes, the world's climate is changing including here in the PNW. We're experiencing the affects with hotter, drier summers, more fires and less snowpack.

Derek

Old 02-14-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Any time there are unique climactic events, climate change will 'always' be a part of the conversation. It doesn't mean everything is caused by it. Rather, it will be one of the factors to consider which neither validates nor invalidates climate change. It's simply a part of life as we know it going forward. If you listen to the UW climatologist regarding WA's new record high from last summer, she discusses aspects which are and are and are not related to climate change. It will always be a valid question to asking and consider as a discussion point.

Here's a recent UW article discussing the recent events and their relationship to decreasing snowpack and warmer winters in the PNW as it relates to climate change.

“With climate change we do expect to see less snow in the lower elevations just due to warmer winters, especially in western Washington where we don’t really get below freezing very often,” Bumbaco said. “So, as our climate warms and changes we’re just going to be over that [temperature] threshold for snow more often.” -- Trends show decreasing snowfall in the Pacific Northwest, potential impacts to water supply

Whether some will attempt to discredit climate change as whole is more of a political/ideological debate and side show (there they go again) similar to current hysteria over vaccines and masking. These debates are ideologic wars which don't change science and the fact that, yes, the world's climate is changing including here in the PNW. We're experiencing the affects with hotter, drier summers, more fires and less snowpack.

Derek

Every weather graph is always a series of waves. Even now.

Are we really having noticeably hotter drier summers than we used to? Or exceeding normal patterns that have happened before and will again? Or do we just think we are because we're told that? There is a political movement who wants us to be afraid of climate change, so we can't just discount politics into the perception of how it gets reported. We (the royal we) have very selective memory of the weather here and I'm doubtful of our ability to perceive a difference of a few degrees on average, in the temperature. I grew up here. I grew up with wet winters, sometimes with snow, and sometimes not, and reliably hot and dry weather for most of June, July and August. ALWAYS. Count on it. And I've smirked at people who seem to forget this every year and act like it's new.

Wildfires and smoke from distant fires the past few years is a complex issue.... unless the discussion involves changes in forestry practices as a main part of the conversation, it's not telling the whole story to focus on changes in climate as a primary cause.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Every weather graph is always a series of waves. Even now.

Are we really having noticeably hotter drier summers than we used to? Or exceeding normal patterns that have happened before and will again? Or do we just think we are because we're told that? There is a political movement who wants us to be afraid of climate change, so we can't just discount politics into the perception of how it gets reported. We (the royal we) have very selective memory of the weather here and I'm doubtful of our ability to perceive a difference of a few degrees on average, in the temperature. I grew up here. I grew up with wet winters, sometimes with snow, and sometimes not, and reliably hot and dry weather for most of June, July and August. ALWAYS. Count on it. And I've smirked at people who seem to forget this every year and act like it's new.

Wildfires and smoke from distant fires the past few years is a complex issue.... unless the discussion involves changes in forestry practices as a main part of the conversation, it's not telling the whole story to focus on changes in climate as a primary cause.
Diana,

It's unfortunate that important scientific facts affecting our planet and the human race have become so politicized. I find the recent pandemic as a prime example of that as people die needlessly. The same is true with the affects of the man's carbon footprint on planet.

There are many common talking points on both sides of these issues including those discounting the affects of climate change or discounting 'normal' trends. I don't think it always has to be a binary 'all or nothing' thing. Even the most right wing politicians admit climate change affects our planet. The devil then lies is in the details when down playing it for political gain - more lenient environment protections. The right would say the same, that the left exaggerates it for political gain - more environmental friendly legislation.

It's difficult to have to the conversation, many times, without those biases being interwoven into the discussion. I guess we can choose to agree to disagree regarding the 'degree' to which climate change impacts us currently along with its long-term affects on our children's children. In this case, I will error on the side of caution working toward reducing our negative human footprint on the planet its inhabitants.

While I agree climate is always a wave graph, that wave is moving in an upward direction toward 'warming' the planet. In reviewing the scientific evidence, it is clear to me that these facts are both irrefutable and evidently seen in many areas of our current environment. This is not just for WA but for the entire planet. With that, I also respect your right to hold a different opinion and we can agree to disagree on the finer points of climate change.

Derek

Old 02-14-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Diana,

It's unfortunate that important scientific facts affecting our planet and the human race have become so politicized. I find the recent pandemic as a prime example of that as people die needlessly. The same is true with the affects of the man's carbon footprint on planet.

There are many common talking points on both sides of these issues including those discounting the affects of climate change or discounting 'normal' trends. I don't think it always has to be a binary 'all or nothing' thing. Even the most right wing politicians admit climate change affects our planet. The devil then lies is in the details when down playing it for political gain - more lenient environment protections. The right would say the same, that the left exaggerates it for political gain - more environmental friendly legislation.

It's difficult to have to the conversation, many times, without those biases being interwoven into the discussion. I guess we can choose to agree to disagree regarding the 'degree' to which climate change impacts us currently along with its long-term affects on our children's children. In this case, I will error on the side of caution working toward reducing our negative human footprint on the planet its inhabitants.

While I agree climate is always a wave graph, that wave is moving in an upward direction toward 'warming' the planet. In reviewing of the scientific evidence, these facts are both irrefutable and evidently seen in many areas of our current environment. This is not just for WA but for the entire planet. With that, I also respect your right to hold a different opinion and we can agree to disagree if you think differently.

Derek

I told you I believe climate change is happening. Our climate has always been, and will always be, a series of waves. NEVER been constant. It shouldn't be political that it's changing... what is political is what we should DO about it.

Let's talk about graphs if you want to talk about impact. Not just feelings. How much has it changed already? Can you show me a chart indicating it has? I need to see the measures being used and the scale. We need to actually define terms.

And if we do decide it has... then have humans changed it? And if we have can we stop it? Let's talk about what would actually fix it. Because lip service and short sighted solutions like banning light bulbs or straws aren't going to change anything, and some of the environmental "protections" implicated already ARE what are causing the fires.

Or we can just drop it.... it's not topical for this thread anyway. I'm fine either way.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I told you I believe climate change is happening. Our climate has always been, and will always be, a series of waves. NEVER been constant. It shouldn't be political that it's changing... what is political is what we should DO about it.

Let's talk about graphs if you want to talk about impact. Not just feelings. How much has it changed already? Can you show me a chart indicating it has? I need to see the measures being used and the scale. We need to actually define terms.

And if we do decide it has... then have humans changed it? And if we have can we stop it? Let's talk about what would actually fix it. Because lip service and short sighted solutions like banning light bulbs or straws aren't going to change anything, and some of the environmental "protections" implicated already ARE what are causing the fires.

Or we can just drop it.... it's not topical for this thread anyway. I'm fine either way.
I'm fine to drop it since it's really off topic though tangentially related to the 'warmest' place by a loooong stretch of the imagination. The science is already there. As far as reviewing it, going over graphs which prove it, solutions to combat it, etc... That's for a different thread on the 'Affects of Climate Change of WA and beyond.' I'm sure it would rank up there in 'hot button' issues along with latest threads on masking and vaccines. lol

Derek

Old 02-14-2022, 02:27 PM

Happy to move on. We're not going to solve it here.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:12 AM

For those of us who live in Vancouver, WA, the northern OR coast is a reasonable drive for both day and weekend trips - similar to southern WA beaches. It got into the low 70s this past weekend at Manzanita Beach. I don't think I've ever seen the northern Oregon coast this warm during winter. I've had colder summer days at the coast.

Derek

Old 02-15-2022, 08:05 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,460 times
Long Beach, Washington

Old 02-15-2022, 06:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Yeah mild here in Tricities too. A nothing burger this season, but I am ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington