Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 10:18 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Sequim in Clallam County is my choice of if I was independently wealthy.
I know very few people in the Sequim area that are independently wealthy...Most of my friends are working in the trade field. I do know some people who are 'rich' but not necessarily in wealth. Most if not all the people who live in Sequim love the place because it is hot bed for being retired, but we have a lot of families with young children and a good public school system.
Sequim has every thing in shopping that is required without a parking problem. A ton of churches and lots of outdoor activities. The Ocean is about a 10 minute drive north and the mountains about a 15 minutes drive south. Below is Mt Washington and the Dungeness spit which has a lighthouse at the end of a five miles hike.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 10:20 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Oddly, the premise of the thread is "if-cost-were-not-factor" yet everyone is selecting places that are very reasonably priced, in fact for some of us less expensive than where we live now.
Price is not an issue because the expensive areas have been totally trashed in most cases. Expensive, doesn't mean a better place to live....see the third world conditions in California and coastal urban areas.

Who wants to live in Wenatchee these days with the awful traffic, crime and crowding??

Wenatchee was always a wonderful town to live, but when the growth started in the early 1990's it just keeps getting worse and worse. In those days, Wenatchee was always much more expensive than other parts of eastern Washington for a reason. It offered a better community.

Growth did NOTHING to improve the community and in fact has significantly reduced the quality of life.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I know very few people in the Sequim area that are independently wealthy...Most of my friends are working in the trade field. I do know some people who are 'rich' but not necessarily in wealth. Most if not all the people who live in Sequim love the place because it is hot bed for being retired, but we have a lot of families with young children and a good public school system.
Sequim has every thing in shopping that is required without a parking problem. A ton of churches and lots of outdoor activities. The Ocean is about a 10 minute drive north and the mountains about a 15 minutes drive south. Below is Mt Washington and the Dungeness spit which has a lighthouse at the end of a five miles hike.
My Mom is in assisted living in Sequim, and my brother is down off of Ridgeview, so I've pent a lot of time there. There are rich folks are above where my parents used to live on Blue Mountain, at altitude where they have acreage, and water views across to Victoria, with mountains behind. That's not Sequim, however, but unincorporated Port Angeles. Lower, in the mile or so just above 101 there are older homes and even mobiles. Even homes like the one below are still much less expensive than the Seattle/Eastside, where this would be $3 million+.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M25296-84219

Old 01-25-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My Mom is in assisted living in Sequim, and my brother is down off of Ridgeview, so I've pent a lot of time there. There are rich folks are above where my parents used to live on Blue Mountain, at altitude where they have acreage, and water views across to Victoria, with mountains behind. That's not Sequim, however, but unincorporated Port Angeles. Lower, in the mile or so just above 101 there are older homes and even mobiles. Even homes like the one below are still much less expensive than the Seattle/Eastside, where this would be $3 million+.
There are rich folk any where you go....but the majority of people in the Sequim area are of moderate Income or lower. Notice I said the majority. Most people in this area, whether they have money or not, usually don't flaunt their wealth or lack of wealth. You can go into a tavern/bar and sit next to someone who is well off or what ever and you may never know it because no one flaunts their success or lack of. We in Sequim are just people who love where we live. Its live and let live and for the most part get along with each other.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:17 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK for a vacation but too many people for every day :-)
"Too many people"? Are you referring to the tourists? That's a seasonal phenom. And if you don't count the (most of the time) absentee vacation-home owners, there aren't that many year-round residents per square mile. It's a pretty sparse population. Kind of just right, IMO: enough to make up a functional community, while providing lots of breathing space for most people.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:17 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Something with a water view. I prefer lakes and more sheltered areas to the windy, chilly coast. And sunshine and snow vs. the damp gray.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:21 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Too many people"? Are you referring to the tourists? That's a seasonal phenom. And if you don't count the (most of the time) absentee vacation-home owners, there aren't that many year-round residents per square mile. It's a pretty sparse population. Kind of just right, IMO: enough to make up a functional community, while providing lots of breathing space for most people.

There's some appeal... if I could have a WHOLE island. Otherwise, I think a big acreage somewhere else has more appeal for me.

Growing up we had a boat and spent a lot of time in the San Juans. It's not a bad way to live, at all. I grant you that.

There was a place for sale somewhere up there not long ago. Whole island. I'll look for it.

On edit... this isn't the same one but it may be better than the one I was thinking of!

https://www.privateislandsonline.com...on/bell-island

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 01-25-2022 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-25-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Something with a water view. I prefer lakes and more sheltered areas to the windy, chilly coast. And sunshine and snow vs. the damp gray.
I suggest Lake Havasu city in Arizona. No snow but lots of sunshine and the London bridge to boot.

https://www.routemagazine.us/stories/london-bridge

Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Stehekin?

Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There's some appeal... if I could have a WHOLE island. Otherwise, I think a big acreage somewhere else has more appeal for me.

Growing up we had a boat and spent a lot of time in the San Juans. It's not a bad way to live, at all. I grant you that.

There was a place for sale somewhere up there not long ago. Whole island. I'll look for it.
There still are whole islands in private hands. Who was it---one of Bill Gates' colleagues, who bought an island there, but later sold it? Of course, part of the package then, is providing your own transportation to the island, whether by air or sea. And you have to make sure your island has a reliable freshwater source. (Could get challenging, with the drier summers beginning in Spring, W WA has been having.) But I guess if $$ is no object, one would have the wherewithal to own a sea plane or motorboat, tugboat, barge or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington