Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,201 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am looking to see if living in Oak Harbor and commuting to mount vernon for work is a good idea or not.
The zip code in oak harbor would be 98277 and the zip code in mount vernon would be 98233.
It shows about 45 minutes of travel.

I don’t know much about Deception Pass.

Some concerns I have is traffic, wind and general danger.

I have a Nissan Versa Note, which is a pretty light car. I do have all season tires, that are new and would be able to get any kind of necessary equipment for my car if needed.

How dangerous is the wind? How bad can the traffic get and if so, how often?
I’ve never lived in Washington & I am moving from Missouri.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 11:45 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,674,386 times
I've never heard of a car being blown over at Deception pass, but high sided trucks do, and they block the road for hours. Tourists jam traffic up there all the time, and there isn't any alternative without a lot more driving and a ferry.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:52 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Is there a special reason to choose this commute? Is there a friend there you need to live with, or are you military and will be stationed there? Because unless there is a good reason to make your life complicated, I'm not sure I take on the challenges of living on an island with very limited ways on and off, unless you have to.

My best advice would be move as close as you can to your work, or look for work closer to where you'll be living, until you can get here and become familiar with the area. Don't set yourself up from the start with a commute that is 45 minutes under ideal circumstances.

That's my two cents, anyway, without knowing more.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,710,457 times
I knew someone who commuted to Mt. Vernon from Oak Harbor (military family) and the commute got old and they hated it. It was a temporary thing or it wouldn't have been tolerable. If you don't mind a long, boring commute, often in the rain, it can be done. But it's slow, boring, can be blocked by accidents and I wouldn't want to do it long term. Early darkness, rain and wind can make it a stressful commute in winter.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:32 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianawoodcock View Post
Hello!

I am looking to see if living in Oak Harbor and commuting to mount vernon for work is a good idea or not.
The zip code in oak harbor would be 98277 and the zip code in mount vernon would be 98233.
It shows about 45 minutes of travel.

I don’t know much about Deception Pass.

Some concerns I have is traffic, wind and general danger.

I have a Nissan Versa Note, which is a pretty light car. I do have all season tires, that are new and would be able to get any kind of necessary equipment for my car if needed.

How dangerous is the wind? How bad can the traffic get and if so, how often?
I’ve never lived in Washington & I am moving from Missouri.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Totally doable, pretty drive. Wind not really an issue.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:00 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Totally doable, pretty drive. Wind not really an issue.
Really? I live in Oak Harbor, and couldn't imagine making that commute. Pretty? OK, I'll give you that. The whole area is pretty. Windy? Oh, Yes. Can definitely be an issue, especially with a light-weight car. Speeders and tail-gaters. Pretty much two-lane, until you get off both islands.

OP: Look at Anacortes/Mt Vernon

Old 01-05-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Really? I live in Oak Harbor, and couldn't imagine making that commute. Pretty? OK, I'll give you that. The whole area is pretty. Windy? Oh, Yes. Can definitely be an issue, especially with a light-weight car. Speeders and tail-gaters. Pretty much two-lane, until you get off both islands.

OP: Look at Anacortes/Mt Vernon

Not saying it's completely easy, but that it's doable if you have some time. I know people who commute that way daily. Of course Anacortes would be better, not everyone can afford it though. As far as the winds, Deception Pass can be tough at times but I don't hear about cars being swept off the bridge .

Old 01-05-2022, 04:10 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
Look at Anacortes, La Conner, Sedro Woolley, Burlington, Stanwood, Arlington.

Another reason for living in Oak Harbor, but working off-island, is if you are retired military and want easy access to the exchange and commissary.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:04 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Not saying it's completely easy, but that it's doable if you have some time. I know people who commute that way daily. Of course Anacortes would be better, not everyone can afford it though. As far as the winds, Deception Pass can be tough at times but I don't hear about cars being swept off the bridge .
So, you live in Seattle, but you know people who make that commute daily? What are the odds?! Or there must be hundreds of such commuters. Whatever. I would discourage anyone from having to make that OH-to-MV commute.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
So, you live in Seattle, but you know people who make that commute daily? What are the odds?! Or there must be hundreds of such commuters. Whatever. I would discourage anyone from having to make that OH-to-MV commute.
I’m a realtor, I work all over. Sold a home last month in Burlington and a few months before in Freeland. Didn’t say I know hundreds of people who do it, I know a couple people who do. I didn’t say it was simple, just doable. 45 minutes without traffic. Peace, bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington