Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:39 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times

Advertisements

Be sure to eat at the Boat Shed in Bremerton. I love that place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 04:42 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Be sure to eat at the Boat Shed in Bremerton. I love that place!
I have many memories from the Boat Shed!

Old 12-08-2021, 04:45 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the information. It seems like staying on the opposite side of Gorst is the way to go given traffic, so I'll narrow my search to those areas.

Is Bremerton considered the closest thing to a "big city" in Kitsap County or the immediate area? Also, my wife will most likely be working in Seattle, and I've read that the ferry would be preferable to trying to move halfway between Bremerton and Seattle and drive both ways. Would you all agree with that?
Halfway between B-town and Seattle is Tacoma.

Faster foot ferry commute from Brem to Seattle much better, IMO.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:15 AM

28 posts, read 35,167 times
I've lived in Bremerton with my wife and kids for 5 years now. Originally from Illinois.

I commuted to seattle for the first 3 years, the ferry can be longer, but as a commuter it's sooooo much better than driving around. You're on a boat with people from your home town, they serve ****ty food an beer. You're free to talk, walk, read, stare out the window. I've seen orcas, whales, dolls porposies, everything. Sightings are not frequent, but if you're on the boat every day and pay attention regularly you'll see something. Unless you're anti-social the Washington state ferry is better than the fast ferry even if it is longer. Especially with kids. Plus you don't have to deal with reservations.

It's a great jumping off point for weekend getaways or day trips like the olympic peninsula, or even some off-the-beaten path places on the kitsap peninsula itself. There are a fair number of small events downtown when there aren't pandemic restrictions and the two local theaters (the admiral and the roxy) often have shows that the kiddos like to attend. The folks at the downtown library are great. As far as venues, events and night life go though, it's pretty quiet. If you're looking for bigger 'city things' to do I like Tacoma much more than Seattle, I like Port Angeles more than Tacoma. (Someone is bound to come in and try to contradict my opinion on PA and Tacoma. They are small cities yes, but there is enough to do, they're easier to get around in, and the scenery is nicer)

The housing prices have gone up quite a bit in the last five years and it very much feels like the secret is out. Lots of Seattelites and Californian's moving in. Not knocking them, we live downtown and all of our neighbors are great. But they come from an income bracket or two above us As a result, the community is rapidly changing.

Now onto stuff that isn't Bremerton-specific.

The homeless, crazy, and drug problem was a really jarring aspect to west coast living when compared to the Midwest. Bremerton overall is safe, but my wife has been hassled and followed when running at dusk and we don't let the kids play in the yard by them selves. The oldest is 11 and they all have to stick together. It's probably once a month he shepherds the younger ones inside because a tweaker or someone having a mental crisis is walking down the street screaming obscenities. The cops are nice, but aren't going to do anything other than tell someone to move along unless you're in immediate danger. We've seen some pretty wild stuff. I never dialed 911 in my life before moving here, I'm currently up to 13 calls (admittedly half lot of them are for non-emergency needle disposal). You can get away from that in some places like Poulsbo or gig harbor, but you're going to pay a premium for it.

Also, people don't seem to go out of their way to get to know you. We're pretty forward, mostly amicable folks, that walk a lot so we've met everyone in our neighborhood, but if you don't initiate it, you won't meet too many people. I think this is a west coast thing, but I'm not sure.

There is a lot of petty crime, you can't leave your kids wagon in the yard without someone walking off with it. No gang violence. A good number of tweakers. Check the sex offender maps provided by the state. But you're going to get that anywhere in Washington. If I had to live in a city/town and money was no option I'd live in gig harbor or Poulsbo proper simply for the lack of drugs and homeless. Seabeck is alright too. Other than that Bremerton is a decent compromise, would do again.

Overall, Bremerton is alright. We're in the process of relocating to a more rural community out of state, but we had a great time here. If you're the weekend warrior type that likes to drive and check out towns around western Washington, or go pound some trails, or dink around by the river you'll do alright. It ain't all roses, but there is plenty to do if you're up for it. We have 4 small kids and haven't had a down weekend in years man. Beats the hell out of the big cities or even the suburbs proper. If I were in your situation I'd stay in Bremerton, at least until I had an opinion on all the surrounding communities.

Go check out gig harbor. Get some snow shoes and go check out hurricane ridge on a Friday when the lift isn't running (ask folks at the park about avalanches, don't be a dummy. check the road conditions on the hurricane ridge twitter). The Olympics are better than the cascades, don't let anyone tell you differently. Go fishing for surf perch on the coast. Go dig razor clams with the kids, it's a ****ing blast. Go kill lazy Saturdays in the summer at scenic beach in Seabeck or Marrowstone island. Go eat Olympic mountain ice cream at the coffee shop Hoodsport (the sell it all over the place, but the trip is fun). Go eat oysters at Hamma Hamma. Go get your salmon at Suquamish seafoods near Poulsbo. Go to an event at the union marina. Go have picnics on the Skokomish river. Go check out the turn of the last century forts. Get a bite to eat in Port Townsend. Take the ferry to Whidbey island.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling answer. Good luck with the move.

edit: added some more ferry information and made some grammar corrections.

Last edited by matpp; 12-08-2021 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-11-2021, 07:48 AM

136 posts, read 133,516 times
Wow. Thanks to matpp for the in-depth response, as well as everyone else. I’ll definitely make a note to check out the Boat Shed.

So from my understanding, Bremerton and Silverdale are the more “dense” areas of the peninsula/county? What are the pros and cons of each area?

Old 12-15-2021, 10:09 PM

28 posts, read 35,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
So from my understanding, Bremerton and Silverdale are the more “dense” areas of the peninsula/county? What are the pros and cons of each area?
Silverdale is typical suburbia. Not much character but all of the shopping, zero walk ability. Not to mention they could have a super cute old town, but unfortunately they haven't done much to make it interesting. No joke, just hair dressers and attourneys to the point if being comical Personally, I wouldn't live there as it has no character and I dislike all the shopping (the town is literally subdivisions around a shopping center and a freeway interchange). But you definitely have fewer crazies out wandering.

Bremerton, at least downtown proper (basically the area between 6th and evergreen park, from the water to park Ave), feels like an actual neighborhood where you get to meet the all the shop owners and what not. (Manette, feels much the same but with a slightly smaller number of tweakers). They're trying to sell it as an art scene, but it's still in it's infancy. You get things like Friday art walks all the shops participate in, and some decent small events (which are all basically the same) down in the marina. Trade off is crazies at night. I'd still pick Bremerton over sliverdale, but don't get me wrong it's is a real trade off and shouldn't be down played.

If you've never lived in a place with a lot of homeless, I'd highly recommend renting over buying until you get your feet wet

Last edited by matpp; 12-15-2021 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 12:26 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times
Maybe you should look at Seabeck, which is by the Hood Canal. I know of 2 people who bought houses in Seabeck & worked in Silverdale.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:10 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Not a bad idea happygrrrl.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:17 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
My idea would be to live as close as practical to where you'll be working. It's just easier that way when everything is new, especially if you're moving in winter when days are short and long drives will all be in the dark. Rent first, and learn your way around before committing to any area and any commute from further out.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpp View Post
Silverdale is typical suburbia. Not much character but all of the shopping, zero walk ability. Not to mention they could have a super cute old town, but unfortunately they haven't done much to make it interesting. No joke, just hair dressers and attourneys to the point if being comical Personally, I wouldn't live there as it has no character and I dislike all the shopping (the town is literally subdivisions around a shopping center and a freeway interchange). But you definitely have fewer crazies out wandering.

Bremerton, at least downtown proper (basically the area between 6th and evergreen park, from the water to park Ave), feels like an actual neighborhood where you get to meet the all the shop owners and what not. (Manette, feels much the same but with a slightly smaller number of tweakers). They're trying to sell it as an art scene, but it's still in it's infancy. You get things like Friday art walks all the shops participate in, and some decent small events (which are all basically the same) down in the marina. Trade off is crazies at night. I'd still pick Bremerton over sliverdale, but don't get me wrong it's is a real trade off and shouldn't be down played.

If you've never lived in a place with a lot of homeless, I'd highly recommend renting over buying until you get your feet wet
It's a matter of preference. A good friend lived in Silverdale, on a forested dead-end road. His property was on the Hood Canal, though steeply sloped woods to the water, he had amazing views of the water and Olympic mountains. Yes, you need a car to get anywhere but it can be worth it, and the Kitsap Mall area just down the hills from his house provide just about anything you want or need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington