Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 AM

14 posts, read 57,731 times

Advertisements

hi, my husband & i are going to be transfered to the kitsap peninsula due to military transfer. we are coming from florida where suburbs rule and clearing cutting is the norm. we love good design, good food and walking to shops, etc. is there any kind of urban life/neighborhood we can look into.

we are not familiar w. the area and any suggestions & information would be very helpful!

also, i have been googling bremerton and there's not that much information. i did find a small bit of information regarding "EastPark" but I can't tell if this plan has been implemented or even a type of time line??

thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 10:11 PM

23 posts, read 100,359 times
You might consider Poulsbo. It is a small Bavarian town that does have new urban cottages within walking distance to the health club, coffee shop, bakeries, restaurants, specialty shops, etc. The downtown has good food and a welcoming atmosphere. It's not large, but very quaint. I lived there for a short time (Navy) with my husband stationed at Bangor. See my response up above to info on Silverdale. Good luck on your transfer.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
Have you checked out the Manette area of east Bremerton? It's close to the water and the Manette bridge will take you into downtown Bremerton. There are some shops and restaurants in that neighborhood, also. Manette is an older neighborhood, and has many vintage homes. You won't find the kind of food choices and shopping on the Kitsap Peninsula that you would in a larger metropolitan area, but you could take the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle (about a 45 minute ride each way) or drive to Tacoma.

The local paper might help with your research: kitsapsun.com : Kitsap, Washington, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information. Click on "Communities", "Bremerton", to see what's happening in that area.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times
Actually Jo-el, Poulsbo is a Norweigan town, not Bavarian. Poulsbo is very lovely, and the ferry to Edmonds from Kingston is quite close as is the ferry to Seattle from Bainbridge. Also, in addition to a charming downtown, Poulsbo has a huge, fairly new Wal-Mart (though folks sure didn't like it when it first came). Poulsbo also has fairly good schools, last I heard.

Also, I have lived in Manette; it is close to Harrison Hospital in East Bremerton. It is an artsy little place with lots of nice old homes. I happened to live on the waterfront when I lived there and did a lot of walking. It is a lovely old place, and I definitely recommend it as well.

If you love shopping, then the best place to live is Silverdale. Harrison also has a branch of its hospital here, though it is mainly used for OB surgeries, eye surgeries, and ER. The traffic in Silverdale is worse than it used to be, though is still not nearly as bad as the Seattle side.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM

thank you all for your repsonses... i will keep an open mind and keep looking while i have a little more time.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 PM

467 posts, read 324,723 times
Hi Santcek:

We were transferred to Bangor 2 years ago and are leaving next month to head to Tampa (Central Command at MacDill AFB) so I can tell you a little about the area:

I also spent a lot of time looking for info on this area and came up short so here is some useful info:

1) Poulsbo is where we chose to live because the Bangor base is a short 10 minute hop away and the schools are great. You'll love the downtown area of Poulsbo. Have you ever been to Mystic Connecticut? Very similar (also like a very small Newport)

2) Renting or buying? Try out MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases for rentals and sales in the area. This is a good source no matter where they ship you to :-)

3) This is one of the largest Navy bases and it is well equipped. You might consider housing because, though they might have a wait list, the housing here is out of this world - at least, the newer stuff is. Check out the base website link to housing

4) There are 2 main bases - Bremerton - which houses the aircraft carrier - Stennis (sp?) and Bangor - the sub base.

5) Each base is well equipped with awesome gyms, commissaries and exchanges (Bangor is better).

6) If you are traveling for house hunting and can't get into the Navy Lodge - try the Poulsbo Inn. They have great prices and accept animals if you have them

7) There is a small mall in Silverdale with typical big box stores like JCPenney and Macy's. Silverdale is really the mecca for shopping here. That is where Target is and all the chain restaurants like Applebees and Olive Garden and Red Lobster - you get the picture

8) The BEST place to eat in town is the Silver City Brewery. You must check it out...

9) Both bases also have small theatres which very often plays the same movies that are currently in the normal theatres only for about $3.00/per

Where is your husband heading? Which boat?

Let me know if you have any question - you can private message me if you like. Have a safe trip.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times
Smile Totally agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Hi Santcek:

We were transferred to Bangor 2 years ago and are leaving next month to head to Tampa (Central Command at MacDill AFB) so I can tell you a little about the area:

I also spent a lot of time looking for info on this area and came up short so here is some useful info:

1) Poulsbo is where we chose to live because the Bangor base is a short 10 minute hop away and the schools are great. You'll love the downtown area of Poulsbo. Have you ever been to Mystic Connecticut? Very similar (also like a very small Newport)

2) Renting or buying? Try out MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases for rentals and sales in the area. This is a good source no matter where they ship you to :-)

3) This is one of the largest Navy bases and it is well equipped. You might consider housing because, though they might have a wait list, the housing here is out of this world - at least, the newer stuff is. Check out the base website link to housing

4) There are 2 main bases - Bremerton - which houses the aircraft carrier - Stennis (sp?) and Bangor - the sub base.

5) Each base is well equipped with awesome gyms, commissaries and exchanges (Bangor is better).

6) If you are traveling for house hunting and can't get into the Navy Lodge - try the Poulsbo Inn. They have great prices and accept animals if you have them

7) There is a small mall in Silverdale with typical big box stores like JCPenney and Macy's. Silverdale is really the mecca for shopping here. That is where Target is and all the chain restaurants like Applebees and Olive Garden and Red Lobster - you get the picture

8) The BEST place to eat in town is the Silver City Brewery. You must check it out...

9) Both bases also have small theatres which very often plays the same movies that are currently in the normal theatres only for about $3.00/per

Where is your husband heading? Which boat?

Let me know if you have any question - you can private message me if you like. Have a safe trip.
Excellent, excellent post. Right on target....

Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM

thank you again. all that information is very helpful! my husband will be transfered to Bangor but will not be attached to a boat. i'm looking forward to it!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,825 times
will be there in one week going to be on the uss maine. family is going to be living in jackson park. does anyone know about this place and the area. just wondering if 2 wheel drive truck is ok for there in the winter wife is worried a bit.

joe

Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 36,281 times
Well, as for winter weather... It *usually* doesnt snow that much out here. I myself get around fine in a 2wd truck. But, last year we got a ton of snow which made gettin around kind of a pain, I would recommend gettin some snow chains just in case. If you can drive fairly well, you wont have a problem. Most of the time its watchin out for the other idiots out there.. We got ran into last year by some idiot flyin down the interstate when it was icy.

Uss Maine? Thats based out of Bangor, no? I would definitely look into base housing on Bangor. Its about a 15 - 20 minute drive from jackson park depending on gate traffic and it can get pretty bad in the early mornings. Also, I'm not a big fan of Jackson park, suprisingly high crime rate for a military community..

Anyhow, thats my two cents. -J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington