Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 11:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

I have to chuckle when the news is on and the weather reporter says there will be "sunbreaks". That something we never heard in CA. Sometimes after a long dark period of overcast the sun comes out brightly, and traffic slows way down. from the glare. I used to always carry sunglasses even on rainy days because of that, bright sun on wet roads = glare. Now I have the transitions lenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 11:41 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
From 07 to 2011 I lived in Elma as a newly retired amateur photographer, I went out most days through the winter, going down hwy 12 to Centralia/Chehalis, or out to the beach on hwy 6. Through the course of a day I found many times that not only did it not rain, but moreover, the weather actually turned to sun breaks, and warming periods wherein I could walk around while getting some of the best shots ever of those beautiful stormy clouds that hang down to the tops of rolling hills. Winter is actually the best time to get out with a camera in the PNW, the contrasting dark/light gray skies atop the verdant landscape are pretty dramatic.

Washington winters are never going to be the brutal stuff of midwest killer storms or two feet of snow to deal with, but as Emmett Watson warned: Don't let that serve as a too hearty welcome to others..
I agree! Winter skies often have the bluest blue and clearest mountain views, because of frequent systems that blow out any low lying haze layer.

And I think "sun breaks" is a perfectly cromulent term!

Old 10-22-2021, 11:43 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
I'm fine with cold...I'm even fine with snow! The rain isn't too bad either. Wind not generally a problem, we would get some fierce Santa Ana winds down in LA. My main concern is the "gloom". I just really enjoy the occasional crisp sunny day. Also, the mental health of the kids matter too. They aren't use to that much grey. How are the cities of Tacoma and Spokane generally? Weather wise and crime/safety wise...
Two different worlds almost, Spokane is in an Eastern WA climate which sees hotter summers colder winters and less rain. It's grown ALOT and I haven't been there in years so I'm not updated on what the area is like now. A handful of friends and coworkers have moved there over the past few years as our home prices/rents blew up here on the west side. If you'd like more sun and snow without the grey and the rain the Spokane area may fit the bill. It does get pretty hot there but it's limited to far less days of it than Socal. I think the Tacoma area is pretty bad personally, it has some of the highest crime rates in the country and in all my years of driving up and down the I-5 corridor I haven't really noticed Tacoma to have less rain than Bellingham.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:10 PM

179 posts, read 111,145 times
Thanks everyone for your input! It is very appreciated. I'm glad there are sunbreaks, that's encouraging. I am far from a sun enthusiast and am often not comfortable with temperatures over 70 degrees (even today it is raining in the bay area and I needed to put the AC on in the car). An interstate move anywhere, especially with kids, is such a massive decision and we just want to make sure we are smart about it.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We actually get a lot of sun breaks in the winter gloom. When I look through my winter pictures of our farm and eagle nest I see a lot of blue skies and sun. Why is that? Because when the sun comes out, we NOTICE! And we stop, grab the camera, and go outside and enjoy how pretty it is.

If you can stop and do that.... you can survive the dark days.
You have an eagles nest? If you need ever sell that farm let me know!

Old 10-23-2021, 02:33 PM

We do have an eagles nest And I will let you know!

We made a facebook page for the eagle nest if you want to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/scattercreekeagles

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-23-2021 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 02:43 PM

Now Cliff has his forecast up:

The Storm's Future is Now Known
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/...now-known.html

Old 10-24-2021, 10:40 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The typical Seattle area resident rarely uses an umbrella, most of the time the water resistant jacket with hood will suffice. The typical light, even misty rain doesn't get you that wet walking a few blocks or from the parking lot to the store. In fact, there was an umbrella store down by Pike Place Market that went out of business in a few years after only selling to tourists. We used to see someone with an umbrella and say "they must have just moved here." Still, it's best to own a large one if you have kids. As with us last weekend, watching our grandson's soccer game, when sitting for 90 minutes in the rain an umbrella is a big help.
But there are those El Nino years, when it really pours. The rain soaks through a merely water-repellant jacket or coat within about 5 minutes of walking around. Do you remember the typhoon-like conditions that were unleashed in mid-Oct. of 2015, which California had been hoping for in the midst of their multi-year drought, but a high-pressure zone over CA diverted the El Nino downpour to western WA/OR? Allow me to jog your memory: the rain was blowing SIDEWAYS! I got soaked just getting out of my car to gas up. Gas station staff in OR were wearing full sou'wester gear head to toe. That's what I'm talking about.

If you have kids walking to school or waiting at a bus stop, or if you commute to work by transit, you're going to need some serious waterproofing during those unusual years. I used to walk 20 mins. to my UW job, and after arriving soaked to the skin through layers of jacket and wool clothing on a couple of occasions, I had a full-length Gore-tex raincoat made. Couldn't have survived without it.

And don't tell me Seattleites don't use umbrellas. When I lost my umbrella on transit one year, and went down to the Metro transit lost-and-found office, it was piled high with umbrellas, lol. But it really depends on the type of rain. Earlier this month, I didn't need any kind of rain gear, even though it was "raining". Rain like that, though, we Californians don't even count as "rain". If it's not raining hard enough to penetrate the ground and water the crops, it's not rain. It's drizzle, or sprinkles, or mist. That's not serious rain.

But be prepared for the El Nino years, which are increasing in frequency. What used to be a once every 7 yrs. event, is more recently a once every 3-4 yrs. occurrence, according to NOAA.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there are those El Nino years, when it really pours. The rain soaks through a merely water-repellant jacket or coat within about 5 minutes of walking around. Do you remember the typhoon-like conditions that were unleashed in mid-Oct. of 2015, which California had been hoping for in the midst of their multi-year drought, but a high-pressure zone over CA diverted the El Nino downpour to western WA/OR? Allow me to jog your memory: the rain was blowing SIDEWAYS! I got soaked just getting out of my car to gas up. Gas station staff in OR were wearing full sou'wester gear head to toe. That's what I'm talking about.

If you have kids walking to school or waiting at a bus stop, or if you commute to work by transit, you're going to need some serious waterproofing during those unusual years. I used to walk 20 mins. to my UW job, and after arriving soaked to the skin through layers of jacket and wool clothing on a couple of occasions, I had a full-length Gore-tex raincoat made. Couldn't have survived without it.

And don't tell me Seattleites don't use umbrellas. When I lost my umbrella on transit one year, and went down to the Metro transit lost-and-found office, it was piled high with umbrellas, lol. But it really depends on the type of rain. Earlier this month, I didn't need any kind of rain gear, even though it was "raining". Rain like that, though, we Californians don't even count as "rain". If it's not raining hard enough to penetrate the ground and water the crops, it's not rain. It's drizzle, or sprinkles, or mist. That's not serious rain.
Those are STORMS Yes, we have rainy winter storms! Not whole years, or even whole winters.

Atmospheric Rivers, formerly known as Pineapple Expresses. Big plumes of rain aiming at us like a giant oceanic fire hose. We may have one of those later this coming week, according to the forecast. And if the rain is blowing sideways, you definitely don't want to use an umbrella then. Umbrellas in the wind are the subject of comedy bits in cartoons, aren't they?

I also think not many people WALK everywhere, we are a car culture, particularly in winter. To the great disappointment of our ever hopeful mass transit planners. That's why no umbrellas. It usually doesn't take much of a coat and definitely not an umbrella to dash from the car inside and back out.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:04 PM

179 posts, read 111,145 times
Anyone have experience with weather in the "rain shadow" areas? And also, where might these places be? I hear it rains less in these areas, but is it still grey and very cold?

It is raining here today in the bay area and we LOVE it; it almost never rains here. I think I could easily go several weeks with nothing but cloudiness and rain, but I'm not sure about several months, year after year.

Our other options are Eugene, OR (but school ratings are lower) or central Massachusetts. Central Massachusetts gets A LOT of snow, but has quite a few sunny days. However, all my family lives in CA and my MIL lives in WA. Hubby has lots of family in the NE but they are sorta distant cousins/uncles etc...we would travel a lot to the west coast which of course adds up. Ugh, I feel like no place is "right" for us.

We do have the option of Colorado as well, but outside of Boulder, I don't think there's anywhere appealing to me. Boulder is almost as $$$ as the bay area so not sure what we'd gain exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington