Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 09:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, that was an issue long before there was mass migration from CA to WA/Seattle. People born and raised in Seattle don't know how to drive in snow, because the conditions so rarely arise. And yes, I was there in 1997. I don't recall anything unusual in winter weather. Maybe I was out of town for it? When did that happen?
It was the winter between 1996 and 1997. The date on our Texmo pole building is 1997 when it was built after the storm. Sometimes, Seattle escapes the Whatcom County winters, because as rkguy says, they don’t get the Fraser River Valley northeasters. Ask someone in Lynden or elsewhere in the north part of the county snug up against the Canadian border what winters can be like. We live at 750’ elevation but escape the winds as some higher hills block that wind but we can get cold: -2° this past December. That is °F not °C. And, we do get more snow at that higher elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 PM

162 posts, read 76,496 times
I visited WA for a while once. I found the moss growing on sidewalks during the summer interesting. Not sure I could handle living amongst Washingtonians. They a bit much! Probably get used to them, and the moss I imagine? Usually only peeps going from CA to WA are old folk home residents. The nursing homes are cheaper in WA.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
I visited WA for a while once. I found the moss growing on sidewalks during the summer interesting. Not sure I could handle living amongst Washingtonians. They a bit much! Probably get used to them, and the moss I imagine? Usually only peeps going from CA to WA are old folk home residents. The nursing homes are cheaper in WA.
You don’t seem to actually know who is moving here from California.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:48 PM

162 posts, read 76,496 times
No, but I know who is moving from CA to WA. So my perspective is probably more enlightened.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Actually, a lot of the people moving from CA to WA are techies and health care workers looking for lower COL without sacrificing QOL.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:54 AM

1,066 posts, read 892,164 times
Quote:
No, but I know who is moving from CA to WA. So my perspective is probably more enlightened.
I’ve met a lot of transplant Californians, not one met the criteria you laid out. I’d say you just don’t know people in all demographics. It would just be nice if you were self aware enough to know that.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Well actually my parents moved to WA after retiring, after visiting us, but they are the only older people I know that made the move. When we moved here I was 41, my wife 40. My brother moved here from CA at age 36, sister at 22. All of our neighbors from CA moved here when they had kids in elementary school.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
My daughter and a good portion of her group moved to WA from the Bay Area.
She actually went to high school with 3 of them and knew 2 others from near by schools.
How odd is that???
Most are techies and one owns two small organic farms.

Our area of WA is known as a retirement area but the work from home crowd (with kids even) are starting to make a larger impact.

It is definitely more common to meet a transplant than a local where we are at.
We just had a 65 year old contractor from Davis CA come over to bid work on my kids house.
Transplants come in all different age groups and backgrounds here.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:16 AM

301 posts, read 519,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Transplants come in all different age groups and backgrounds here.
(Note, I spent my first 40 years in NorCal and I have lived in the Puget Sound area for 15+ years now)

Yes, transplants do. Many of my friends are Northwesterners. Not PNW, but Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Ohio natives.

They like this location as it is still "North" but without snow drifts 15' deep.

On the plus side, they don't have to shovel rain!

Old 02-07-2022, 04:06 AM

60 posts, read 35,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guessingtherules View Post
I have never lived in California or Washington, but I have traveled through both places.

What comes to mind for me if it means anything is that you need to be ready for the cold winters.

I remember living in Portland Oregon and I remember the resentment I had when I woke up in the morning to drive to my job and had to deal with fresh snow. I think if I had a problem with snow and cold weather in Portland, I would have even more resentment over it in Washington.
Yes, Seattle is further north than Portland, however, there is actually far less snow and cold weather in Seattle than in Portland due to the cold air moving down the Columbia Gorge into Portland in the winter. And in the summer months, Portland is much hotter due to warm air coming from the interior through the Gorge. Seattle may have snow every third year or so and it is much more moderate due to its proximity to the Puget Sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington