Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 264,633 times

Advertisements

I'm confused why when reading the Pros about Washington, outdoor activities is pretty much listed as the number one pro but then the con is the rain. What outdoor activities are folks doing in the rain? Please enlighten me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,734,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisker View Post
I'm confused why when reading the Pros about Washington, outdoor activities is pretty much listed as the number one pro but then the con is the rain. What outdoor activities are folks doing in the rain? Please enlighten me!
Conversely, I think most Washingtonians would ask it a different way. What outdoor activities can't you do in the rain?

After living in CO in snow country where all the lakes and trails are frozen for a good part of the year (I love water sports), there is so much more one can do outdoors here. And that includes snow sports if you're inclined to those as well.

And, BTW, CO is very well know for outdoors activities as are many places in Europe and other parts of the world with 4 distinct seasons. So, I guess it boils down to what you're used to and prefer doing.

As many locals will say when it rains, go outside and exercise, you won't melt.

But if you're looking for a tropical climate where you can swim in the ocean or a lake without a wetsuit, head south. 40 degree water in the winter is a reality you learn to 'dress' for.

Derek

Old 05-03-2021, 09:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 965,292 times
As MtnSurfer said, many people run, hike, and do lots of other sports in the rain.

When we moved here, my kids were California kids who were used to soccer matches/practices getting cancelled when it rained. They soon adjusted. My elder kid soon went all year without a warm jacket, although he had them in his closet. He preferred to wear a hoodie in all winds and weathers.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:00 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,685,866 times
We have hiked in the rain. A lot of people do, especially during the pandemic. Of course people are going into the mountains and enjoying sub-freezing sports like tubing and skiing (not worth the effort and expense for me).

My son's soccer program is year-round. I think lacrosse is too. League games are during the academic year and the teams only take a few weeks off for Christmas. The competitive teams like my son's practice 3 evenings a week and then most weekends there is at least one game. Kids here practice in all kinds of weather except accumulating snow, severe wind storms and lightening. Not just kids either... There are at least two groups of adults that regularly play each week. A group of Spanish-speaking players and then another largely international (from various areas of the world).

Old 05-03-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
As MtnSurfer said, many people run, hike, and do lots of other sports in the rain.

When we moved here, my kids were California kids who were used to soccer matches/practices getting cancelled when it rained. They soon adjusted. My elder kid soon went all year without a warm jacket, although he had them in his closet. He preferred to wear a hoodie in all winds and weathers.
My son had a tournament in Las Vegas cancelled because it rained... We were so, so angry... spent thousands of dollars on hotel, car rental and flights. They were supposed to play three games and they only got to play one 30 minute game that was decided on a coin toss. I think in the end it was $2.5k for 15 minutes of play.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:04 PM

38 posts, read 264,633 times
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Most of the rain here is not the short, heavy downpours of other areas. We mostly get a slow, steady, misty rain that goes on for days, but is not heavy enough to get you that wet. Having been here for 27 years now, I still do not own an umbrella. With just a hooded water repellent jacket, I go hiking, biking, fishing, do yard work, and other activities in the rain. Some of our best hiking trails are in woods so dense that the trees deflect most of the rain.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:00 AM

10,588 posts, read 7,816,758 times
^What he/she said. You won't melt!

Tennis isn't much fun in the rain, however. The balls get heavy and skid. You might skid on the court too.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:06 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,070,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisker View Post

Well, on the one day or two that it rains for most of the day I try and go duck hunting. I did finally break down and bought a decent camo rain jacket for that day. Fortunately, our "rainy season" is during duck season.

It didn't rain ALL last summer. Nada, not a drop for 115 days.

I do understand there are small parts of Washington that are cloudy and rainy most of the time. I did go over there about a couple of decades ago. I didn't like it.

But the dirty little secret is the refusal of Washington state government to deal with all the CLIMATE REFUGEES escaping from over there.

It is awful, they have bought up ALL the houses and RENTED ALL the apartments. We have homeless people living on the streets due to this now and the state government refuses to even acknowledge the problem!!!

Every weekend they pour over the Cascade passes snarling traffic, taking all the parking places, scaring the wildlife as the walk the trails searching for "nature".

The state of Washington needs to do something about this climate emergency NOW. They have a plan to charge $20 to cross the Cascade passes but the Governor has refused to implement it!!!

Old 05-04-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, on the one day or two that it rains for most of the day I try and go duck hunting. I did finally break down and bought a decent camo rain jacket for that day. Fortunately, our "rainy season" is during duck season.

It didn't rain ALL last summer. Nada, not a drop for 115 days.

I do understand there are small parts of Washington that are cloudy and rainy most of the time. I did go over there about a couple of decades ago. I didn't like it.

But the dirty little secret is the refusal of Washington state government to deal with all the CLIMATE REFUGEES escaping from over there.

It is awful, they have bought up ALL the houses and RENTED ALL the apartments. We have homeless people living on the streets due to this now and the state government refuses to even acknowledge the problem!!!

Every weekend they pour over the Cascade passes snarling traffic, taking all the parking places, scaring the wildlife as the walk the trails searching for "nature".

The state of Washington needs to do something about this climate emergency NOW. They have a plan to charge $20 to cross the Cascade passes but the Governor has refused to implement it!!!
Yuck. If you're talking about Eastern Washington then I think I need to correct you. I do not find east-of-Cascades's climate desirable AT ALL. Most of the people who move to the state that want green and mountains will find Eastern Washington to be... lacking. Leavenworth is about as far east as I like to go. Went to Wenatchee for a soccer game last month and except for the view from Eastern Wenatchee, you really couldn't get me to spend more than a few hours there. Western Washington and Cascades is where it's all at. You can rip apart the state right at Wenatchee and it wouldn't make a difference to me.

"climate refugees" from Western Washington? Haha! You're so funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington