Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Anecdotally, with the change this year for many to permanent working from home... I know several people who are fleeing the relative high prices here for lower cost of living places.
So true. People are moving around in the state to lower cost areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Outbound low wage / distressed is surely much higher in use of U-Hauls to transport them and their goods.

They are not the job creators and buyers of $500k+ properties.

U-Haul exodus from WA are fleeing for lower cost housing, likely lower wage workers or low / no income retirees who have been forced out.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Many out of state college students also left to return to live with parents when college went online. They might have hauled their stuff in a U Haul.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
And this makes you unhappy? I'm jumping for joy. People are moving away? Great! This state is too crowded. I hope the pace picks up.

Nah. People are moving because real estate prices are so high, which was mostly caused by the people that poured in here over the last 15 years from their low wage/high unemployment Rust Belt states. They liked our high minimum wage and our social safety net, but their huge numbers created this housing mess, so now it's on to the next Nirvana.

No, that would be the Dakotas. North Dakota has the most cases of any state at 130,210 cases per million and SD is next at 125,659. Washington has one of the lowest case counts in the US at 44,237 cases per million. We also have one of the lowest death per million counts.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
The state may be too crowded for your liking, but if you’re a seller, you want a good housing market. Don’t jump for joy too quickly, you might be listing a house one day.

If Washington has low case and death rates, how about opening the state back up. It’s been sad to see so many mom and pop businesses remaining closed for months. Even now, many restaurants still don’t offer dine in. Small businesses work and pay taxes and are the backbone of the state’s economy, but Governor Inslee seems to care more about catering to the non productive.

FWIW, I wish the homeless would take their camps and move on to the next Nirvana. This would benefit Washington greatly, and I’m tired of mountains of garbage spoiling the beautiful scenery.

Last edited by Taz22; 02-21-2021 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Many out of state college students also left to return to live with parents when college went online. They might have hauled their stuff in a U Haul.
Good point, many people don’t use U-Hauls and like Stealth mentioned, they can be used to haul other things besides household goods.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
That Uhaul is something only the lower end of the housing spectrum uses is an interesting theory.... but my actual observation is that it's the starter home market that is the MOST competitive with people moving IN to this area, at least in the south sound.

Homes in the 300-400K range are getting bid up with multiple offers in a day or two.

It's the higher end places that are sitting on the market a little longer or needing to reduce price. Even then... the market is still pretty good. There is no general selloff here... inventory is VERY low, and in general prices are still going UP.

Old 02-21-2021, 11:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Posting coincides with Property Tax Bills being sent out...

Jaw Dropping describes it...

My home is rented for $2000 per month and property tax is $1350 per month.

Something wrong with that equation... I may not be able to afford/enjoy when the time comes

Many wonderful things I love about Washington and it feels like home for sure.

The past events with riots, looting, encampments does give pause.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:12 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
And this makes you unhappy? I'm jumping for joy. People are moving away? Great! This state is too crowded. I hope the pace picks up.

Nah. People are moving because real estate prices are so high, which was mostly caused by the people that poured in here over the last 15 years from their low wage/high unemployment Rust Belt states. They liked our high minimum wage and our social safety net, but their huge numbers created this housing mess, so now it's on to the next Nirvana.

No, that would be the Dakotas. North Dakota has the most cases of any state at 130,210 cases per million and SD is next at 125,659. Washington has one of the lowest case counts in the US at 44,237 cases per million. We also have one of the lowest death per million counts.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
I agree and disagree with your post. Yes people are leaving Seattle because they can buy twice the house elsewhere. But those areas exist in Washington State such as TriCities, Yakima, Spokane.

Washington is not really crowded outside the puget sound region. Lower prices, less population, and more sunshine exist in our State, mostly east of the Cascades.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Two families I know moved from Spokane area to Boise.

Is Boise or Idaho a destination for Washingtonians?

They both felt King County ruled the State and I said isn't the capital Olympia?

Old 02-22-2021, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I wonder if all the people leaving the state are renters trying to buy their first home. Houses here on the eastside are still selling quickly at over asking in the $750k-1 million range, and in outlying areas the prices are going up even faster. With working from home, demand has caused increases of 30-50% in more rural Okanagan, Chelan, San Juan and Pacific counties while here in Puget Sound it's still 10-13%.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 02-22-2021 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington