Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 12:04 PM

6,302 posts, read 3,456,596 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because of the reports by our local Health care official in Clallam county and I am sure in other Washington counties as well.
Seems the reporting to me is misleading. Why report cases that no longer exist? Should the cases reported be an up to date count. I mean we have had 102 cases as of this morning and only 28 active case. Why report on inactive cases?

I think I read the other day that a cases was hospitalized but was that case a direct result of the virus or a case where a patients was entering the hospital for something else and found to have the virus? It was total unclear if it was hospitalized related to the virus or not.

I believe the information put forth by the state/county should be placed on actual active case and cases being hospitalized for the virus and death directly connected to the virus.

Another problem I am reading is why with so few cases are the ages being withheld?
I was glad to see the break down in case by community in the PDN the other day. That is a positive reflection of where the number of case really are. In Sequim, where I live, it appears according to the below chart only two active cases and 29 recovered cases out of 31 total.

http://www.clallam.net/Coronavirus/

Old 08-03-2020, 12:16 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
Wear your mask anyway. If they are telling the truth, you are protecting yourself. If they are lying, you aren't out anything.

If you are going to error, error on the side of safety.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:52 PM

14,652 posts, read 12,310,207 times
You're right, rantiquity, there is no point in a cumulative number when trying to assess current rates of infection.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,815 posts, read 58,377,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You're right, rantiquity, there is no point in a cumulative number when trying to assess current rates of infection.
Unless you are tracking statistics / trend lines... (the usual stuff in accurate reporting and data collection)
They really should be reporting Rn (rate of transmission / spread if they knew it,... as well as the moving average of new cases (Need past data for that)

Old 08-03-2020, 04:59 PM

14,652 posts, read 12,310,207 times
I think most of us most want to know - how many people out there right now, in my town, have it?...
(and of those, how many are seriously ill needing hospitalization?)

I think the reason we're not hearing that number is it's not a big enough number to scare people. - Yet that's the number we need to assess the safety of going out to dinner or to get a hair cut or do any other business. Not the cumulative number of people who have ever had it since January. We don't need to know that unless we're trying to figure out when we'll achieve natural herd immunity... And I think we're still far from that.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 898,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think most of us most want to know - how many people out there right now, in my town, have it?...
(and of those, how many are seriously ill needing hospitalization?)

I think the reason we're not hearing that number is it's not a big enough number to scare people. - Yet that's the number we need to assess the safety of going out to dinner or to get a hair cut or do any other business. Not the cumulative number of people who have ever had it since January. We don't need to know that unless we're trying to figure out when we'll achieve natural herd immunity... And I think we're still far from that.
That number is on the page he linked, current hospitalizations.

You seem to want the total cases removed because it's too complicated for you to find the numbers you want to see?

Old 08-03-2020, 08:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,101,089 times
Yes, it is obvious.

All international, national, state and county health officials are engaged in a global conspiracy to frighten you.

That is much more reasonable than thinking they are concerned with a global pandemic that may kill millions.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,171,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
That number is on the page he linked, current hospitalizations.

You seem to want the total cases removed because it's too complicated for you to find the numbers you want to see?
This information is incomplete because many states (including Washington) don't record the number of people who have recovered. Every county does their own thing and there is no national standard. Canada for example has done a lot better job recording the numbers using the same metrics throughout the whole country.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,815 posts, read 58,377,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This information is incomplete because many states (including Washington) ...
Don't know....

1) Minimal testing (some states still only have enough test kits to test 'symptomatic' patients, that's way too late to stop spread...) WA = 1.3% tested (including multiple tests) That means we actually know nothing (very, very little) from testing.
2) Very slow test results in USA, average is still 3-7 days, not like S Korea in Feb 2020 = 15 min (3 days is too long for symptomatic test results to effectively stop spread, since your highest contagion is 3-4 days prior to first symptoms. = ~10 days too late
3) No contact tracing in USA (In Jan 2020... that was deemed to be essential to control spread )
4) Very low social responsibility in USA, "If my carelessness causes your death or loss of job, house, family..., it is not my problem, and I'm ok with that" (So there!)

Health officials know very little to intentionally mislead the public.
Politicians know less.

If Health officials were not hired by politicians, and could speak freely and intelligently, the USA would be hearing a very different message.

The less the politicians and health officials claim to know, the more protected they are (from accountability).
We (USA) are 'shining stars' at avoiding accountability.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-03-2020 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 PM

864 posts, read 1,070,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wear your mask anyway. If they are telling the truth, you are protecting yourself. If they are lying, you aren't out anything.

If you are going to error, error on the side of safety.
I thought the mask was to protect others from my exhale...to keep my exhale close to me, not projecting out 6 feet to others.

Last edited by wolfdog; 08-03-2020 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington