Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,812,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of Ashland in this thread.

It's not in WA, but it's still in the PNW. Very expensive and touristy,
but perhaps the most artsy place in the whole region, thanks to
the presence of the Shakespeare Festival -- multiple theatres,
open most of the year (except winter). Add a state university
campus and a beautiful natural setting, and it probably would fit
most of the OP's requirements, except of course being within
2 hours of Seattle or 3 hours of the Olympics. It's not near
any big city.
Lived in Ashland years ago, and loved it. It’s getting too suburban though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,146,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zima1349 View Post
I wasn't sure of the best title since "creative" can be interpreted in many ways. Instead of trying to explain, I will create a list.

Warning: Some will probably find it silly, judgmental, and overly critical.

Sometimes it's easier to say what you are NOT looking for. Here's what I want to avoid:
  • Run-down (Port Townsend, Port Angeles, most towns in the Cascades)
  • Monster pickup trucks, trump signs, guns... (most towns in the Cascades)
  • A suburb (Edmonds)
  • A retirement community (Anacortes)
  • A military base (Everett)
  • Overly "ritzy" (Some parts of Bainbridge)

And, here's what I want:
  • Liberal
  • Intellectual population (and hopefully a little more interesting than the average bay area tech worker, though tech has some of the best people I've met, too)
  • It's possible to go out the front door and go for a nice walk through both town and nature
  • Has forests and parks nearby
  • There are places such as breweries and coffeehouses where one can read a book or maybe even talk to other humans
  • Reasonable commute to Olympics and North Cascades (3 hours)
  • Reasonable commute to Seattle (2 hours)

So far the two places I've found are Langley and Vashon. The latter is on the run-down side, but close and I know many musicians live there. I only know Langley from visiting but it looks adorable and close to perfect. Isolation is a concern there, but perhaps it's worth it.

The other alternative for me is to live in West Seattle, but Seattle is just getting too big for my taste...

Just for fun, feel free to suggest places outside of the Seattle area or even outside of America. However, I love northern landscapes and moody weather, so I'd limit this to PNW, BC, Alaska, and parts of northern Europe.

I don’t find your post overly judgmental, because only you know what you want to live around. My thinking is that if you’re paying a mortgage, and you care what kind of area you live in, it’s better to speak up now, rather than buy and suffer buyers remorse.

I’ve never been to Port Angeles or Port Townsend so I don’t know if they are rundown or not. I loved Edmunds when I first saw it, it’s such a pretty village beside the ocean. Politics are fine if you want to discuss them, personally, I don’t want to know how people vote, it might turn me off from an otherwise nice person.

I understand your issue with the military, makes me think of packs of rowdy young guys, you can’t get too ritzy in a neighborhood for resale value, techs are great neighbors to have (there are much worse up here). I’d add that neighbors who fly conference flags are a huge turnoff. This kind of thing is part of much of rural Washington, which I didn’t understand before choosing a house. Many people in rural Washington must live a dreary existence and the popularity of meth and other drugs is proof. The towns around Centralia are some of the ugliest and most depressing I’ve seen and they have a reputation for being meth towns. This area has some of the surliest people I’ve ever met.

I like diversity and a bunch of white people who pile sh*t all over their yards isn’t it. If you want a better crowd of people, you can get it at a price. Vashon seems like a cool area for artsy types although it’s on the high side, I’d recommend you look there and stay away from towns around Olympia. The uniform for men here is beards and flannel shirts, the women around here have often wagged their tails at my husband while completely ignoring me. Now, if these women are dumb and stuck in a low paying job in a backward area, they should be motivated to get off their butts and get themselves elsewhere.

I really dislike this area and hope you do your due diligence and understand that unless you’re willing to pay more, something like my situation is likely what you’ll get. My house wasn’t cheap, but with crowds of people moving here, finding a suitable place is only going to become more difficult. If you’re going to buy, some trendy artsy towns in Oregon or north of Seattle would probably work well for you.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM

14,587 posts, read 12,263,586 times
Oh Taz... What's wrong with wrong with beards and flannel? It's pretty dang practical for this climate, I think!

There are actually charming, happy, positive, creative people and places all around this area, if you choose to see them. I do hope you find joy in your next place.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh Taz... What's wrong with wrong with beards and flannel? It's pretty dang practical for this climate, I think!

There are actually charming, happy, positive, creative people and places all around this area, if you choose to see them. I do hope you find joy in your next place.

Blowing smoke doesn’t change facts.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 PM

I'm not blowing smoke at all. I do know lots of charming, happy, creative people who live here. And I do think beards and flannel is a very practical style for the NorthWest. My hubby wears it daily.

And although you and I couldn't disagree more on the general quality of life here in rural Washington, I really do hope you and your hubby find some place where you are happy. I am very sorry you don't like it here.

All that is true. No smoke.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm not blowing smoke at all. I do know lots of charming, happy, creative people who live here. And I do think beards and flannel is a very practical style for the NorthWest. My hubby wears it daily.

And although you and I couldn't disagree more on the general quality of life here in rural Washington, I really do hope you and your hubby find some place where you are happy. I am very sorry you don't like it here.

All that is true. No smoke.
I’ve met some decent people here as well. The area we live in is sketchy, I show everyone even my dentist, pictures of these horrible shacks around here, more than one neighbor has a mattress in their front yard. No one can believe it. My dentist has had the same problem with his neighbors in Olympia. You can talk all you want about the wonderful people who have chosen to live in crapholes like these houses, although they are anything but “charming, happy, creative”. Weedhead comes to mind.

My farrier says you and your spouse have lived here so long you don’t see it anymore. That sounds right, but thanks for the good wishes.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 PM

545 posts, read 413,428 times
The OP has not returned, this looks like a "hit and run" post to me. He/she must have realized how ridiculous their request was.

Creative, quirky, and interesting towns are always a little bit "run-down". It's part of their charm. If the OP can find a neat, tidy, well-scrubbed place with no soul and no personality that meets their needs...then good luck to them.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’ve met some decent people here as well. The area we live in is sketchy, I show everyone even my dentist, pictures of these horrible shacks around here, more than one neighbor has a mattress in their front yard. No one can believe it. My dentist has had the same problem with his neighbors in Olympia. You can talk all you want about the wonderful people who have chosen to live in crapholes like these houses, although they are anything but “charming, happy, creative”. Weedhead comes to mind.

My farrier says you and your spouse have lived here so long you don’t see it anymore. That sounds right, but thanks for the good wishes.

I see crap holes and shacks, sure... but I don't live in a crap hole or a shack. The good people I know don't live in crap holes or shacks, and neither do you. You have to go way out of your way to see junky places around your place, you actually live in a pretty nice area surrounded by nice properties. If you go down some side roads and dead ends look for them, you can find a few junky places... but... Welcome to America. Some people are messy. I don't think that's a uniquely Washington problem, and I don't let it consume me what other people do on their property far out of my view.

I have helped dozens of people move here and the vast majority love it here. *Almost* without exception. There's a lot to love about this area and I choose to focus on that. I am truly sorry you don't like it... I am sorry for you, but I'm still going to stay here and continue to be happy. I do mean the good wishes. All the best to you.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-19-2018 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 PM

102,283 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
The OP has not returned, this looks like a "hit and run" post to me. He/she must have realized how ridiculous their request was. .
Somehow, I don't think that's it. I think she realized how rude some people were.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 PM

102,283 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Try Leavenworth.
Maybe not? That is in the Cascades, and I am sure there are monster Trucks up there, tow Trucks and such, that are useful to get you out of Snow if you get stuck.
OMG, don't inflict Leavenworth on the poor woman! It's the most HORRIBLY touristy town I've ever seen! And who wants to live with anemic oompah bands taking over downtown every weekend, all summer and into Oktoberfest? Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington