Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times

Advertisements

Vashon? Lots of million-dollar homes here. In fact, quite a few artists have left, because it’s getting too suburban.

I hate to tell you this, but I don’t think what you’re looking for is to be found in Washington. In fact, I can’t imagine where it might exist. Because suburbia and free-wheeling artists just don’t tend to go together. Once the wealthier folks start moving into an arty community, the artists start to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
The OP wants an up-market Mayberry, and wouldn't we all like that? Unfortunately I don't think it exists anymore, if it ever did.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Vashon? Lots of million-dollar homes here. In fact, quite a few artists have left, because it’s getting too suburban.

I hate to tell you this, but I don’t think what you’re looking for is to be found in Washington. In fact, I can’t imagine where it might exist. Because suburbia and free-wheeling artists just don’t tend to go together. Once the wealthier folks start moving into an arty community, the artists start to leave.
actually.. there is a LOT of very successful "artist and suburbia" in a few other 'affordable' waterfront cities (as there has been for 150 yrs).

Milwaukee
Chicago
Detriot
Cleveland

WA... several options (Olympia is most predominant) but many MANY other nice choices.

For us 'farmers' / employers / businesses with many assets and employees... ... gentrification / SPRAWL / voter regulations / increased tax and reporting burdens...

We have to leave the state (requiring a few yrs and quite a few semi-trucks to move), then we start the process all over (building soils, orchards, buildings, water systems...) takes a couple generations to resettle and recover.

Fortunately we are very 'creative' (and stalwart)

Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
If Issaquah was "too isolated" for you, I doubt you'd be happy in Vashon or Langley. Neither have easy access to the hills or mountains. If West Seattle is "too much", then maybe consider Olympia or put a different label on Edmonds. You might also consider Poulsbo or Gig Harbor.

If view from in house is super important, get a realtor and pay big to huge. If renting, find the most expensive place. May not be enough though. The greatest views generally will be occupied by multi-million dollar homes. The view from a nearby park may have to be enough, unless you are a super shopper and hunt out an exceptional case that isn't priced to the hilt for it. I found an affordable place on a lake with a Mt Rainier view (on good days) outside Olympia before, so it could be done. Or at least long ago it could.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-11-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 10:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
actually.. there is a LOT of very successful "artist and suburbia" in a few other 'affordable' waterfront cities (as there has been for 150 yrs).

Milwaukee
Chicago
Detriot
Cleveland

WA... several options (Olympia is most predominant) but many MANY other nice choices.

For us 'farmers' / employers / businesses with many assets and employees... ... gentrification / SPRAWL / voter regulations / increased tax and reporting burdens...

We have to leave the state (requiring a few yrs and quite a few semi-trucks to move), then we start the process all over (building soils, orchards, buildings, water systems...) takes a couple generations to resettle and recover.

Fortunately we are very 'creative' (and stalwart)
Few up-and-coming artists can afford suburban housing prices. If VAshon, with its high median housing prices is too rundown for this person, then I really cannot think of a single community in Washington that would meet the requirements of being arty and not rundown and not suburban.

The only place that comes to mind is Taos, and that is not in Washington. And actually, I haven’t been there in years, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is more suburban now than it used to be.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
There are subdivisions and satellite communities like Ranchos de Taos.

Taos itself, I consider mostly run down. Or at least the commercial downtown looks and feels that way. Of course there are expensive homes but there is more low end looking places than obvious high. There though the fancy is mostly on the inside.

Super high crime rates.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-11-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 12:10 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What the OP described is a strange kind of trustfunder town. Money, loads of free time yet not old/retired or “shabby.” Intolerantly liberal enough to disallow other political flavors yet NIMBY about having nonprivileged nonpretty people around. Safe yet devoid of any military or gun taint.

Affordability or job market was never mentioned. Maybe OP can establish his or her very own Bubble Town filled with clones desperately trying to pass as creatives.

Every genuinely creative hotbed I’ve ever been in has plenty of messy or weird people in it. Goes with the territory...

This wishlist town sounds like a very conformist group, not creative.
Santa Fe and Taos, NM, are trustfunder towns. Santa Fe is nicknamed "The Trust Fund Capital of America", and it, and Taos, check the OP's boxes. OTOH, there are plenty of non-trust-fund towns in CA that check the boxes, too. But they're expensive.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:58 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
There are subdivisions and satellite communities like Ranchos de Taos.

Taos itself, I consider mostly run down. Or at least the commercial downtown looks and feels that way. Of course there are expensive homes but there is more low end looking places than obvious high. There though the fancy is mostly on the inside.

Super high crime rates.
Taos' downtown? I don't see it as rundown. It's kind of disguised, by the quaint adobe architecture, that's the thing. People tend to find it charming. I agree re: Ranchos de Taos, too.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Few up-and-coming artists can afford suburban housing prices. If VAshon, with its high median housing prices is too rundown for this person, then I really cannot think of a single community in Washington that would meet the requirements of being arty and not rundown and not suburban.

The only place that comes to mind is Taos, and that is not in Washington. And actually, I haven’t been there in years, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is more suburban now than it used to be.
Might need to be more 'creative' in your thinking.

There are a LOT of towns in WA and OR mentioned above that are "arty and not rundown and not suburban"

I don't find Taos at all 'suburban' (by it's very nature of not being anywhere near a metro area)

If I were looking for "arty and not rundown and not suburban", I could compile a list of 100 western USA towns in less than 1 hr.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
What you want doesn’t exist, maybe it did a long time ago, but not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington