Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 42,121 times

Advertisements

I currently live in North East Florida and have been educating myself on Washington state in the last year or so. I am an outdoorsy, nature baby and have always wanted to live in Oregon/Washington state and leave the South in my rearview mirror.

The town I fell in love with were Port Angeles/Sequim area. I like the small town feel, I LOOOOVE the nature that surrounds it so tell me about it. The good, the bad, the ugly, the quirks, positive, negative whatever.. I want to know everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The navy base on Whidbey Island has been flying "new" (as of a couple of years ago) extremely high-decibel "Growler" jets over Sequim to military exercises on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula. The noise level has been documented as being above allowable levels for health. Some residents moved out, due to the severity and frequency of the nuisance. Where the matter stands now, I don't know. The Sequim city council went to the naval base on Whidbey to meet with officials about it, that's all I know. Perhaps someone here will have an update.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8E&FORM=VRDGAR

Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
The good, the bad, the ugly, the quirks, positive, negative whatever.. I want to know everything!
It will be hard to capture everything here.

The gray is real. Really real. No sun for months. I can't understate this. It's the #1 reason people leave.

The culture is different. Life in the north is different wherever you are in WA/OR. People are descended from loggers, airplane builders, and miners. People are cautious and skeptical. It may seem exciting and romantic now, but every culture has it's pros and cons, and especially if you're young it will take time to see what works for you.

Life is expensive on the coast. We don't have low-cost fruits and vegetables and there are fewer discount stores available.

Yes, it is beautiful, and if you love the outdoors, great. But be sure to buy good clothing! There's no bad weather, only bad clothing.

Be flexible. You fell in love with one town--will you need a job? Will you need assistance? Health care? Some of our small coastal towns are gorgeous but there's no work there. Otherwise we'd all live there.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
There's no bad weather, only bad clothing.
This is hilarious! But yes; you'll need completely different clothing than what you're used to in FL, OP.

Also true re: jobs. What's your profession? If you're in health care or education, you could be in luck. Or are you planning to retire? That works, if you realize that RE is probably more expensive than what you're used to, and the property taxes are higher, because there's no state income tax.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:37 PM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is hilarious! But yes; you'll need completely different clothing than what you're used to in FL, OP.
That's an old German saying.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
It will be hard to capture everything here.

The gray is real. Really real. No sun for months. I can't understate this. It's the #1 reason people leave.

The culture is different. Life in the north is different wherever you are in WA/OR. People are descended from loggers, airplane builders, and miners. People are cautious and skeptical. It may seem exciting and romantic now, but every culture has it's pros and cons, and especially if you're young it will take time to see what works for you.

I very much like my "living under the rock" personality. I'm very to myself, I don't have family except my daughter and husband. I am 34 yrs old and my daughter is 8. My daughter is very outgoing and I am quite the opposite lol very much an introvert, hermit type. I m a firm believer in minding my own business.

Life is expensive on the coast. We don't have low-cost fruits and vegetables and there are fewer discount stores available.
Yes it is. VERY expensive. I have bought my home and paid off a great deal so when I sell it, it would help move me there and buy another home. We have a dollar store here but the walmart is the go-to.

Yes, it is beautiful, and if you love the outdoors, great. But be sure to buy good clothing! There's no bad weather, only bad clothing.
That would be something I need to look into lol, shorts and tank tops are what is worn around here and due to not have any winters I prob. own 2 pairs of jeans and they prob. have dust on them from hanging in my closet lol

Be flexible. You fell in love with one town--will you need a job? Will you need assistance? Health care? Some of our small coastal towns are gorgeous but there's no work there. Otherwise we'd all live there.
I work for animal control here, before that I was a certified medical assistant. So I could go in both directions.

Thank you for your response!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Also true re: jobs. What's your profession? If you're in health care or education, you could be in luck. Or are you planning to retire? That works, if you realize that RE is probably more expensive than what you're used to, and the property taxes are higher, because there's no state income tax.
Hi there.

I was a medical assistant before moving to Florida and then worked for animal control and first response teams (due to the massive amount of hurricanes we have here).

I am 34 yrs old, Florida is so expensive. Those beaches you see on tv with the clear water and white sandy beaches well that's in the keys lol all of our coast line is dark brown, brackish, murky water with gators/sharks and flesh eating bacteria. Lets not forget the hurricanes. lol

a 3bdrm house here (not a mobile home) runs about 1500-1800 Mobile homes are around 1000-1200, and Apts. are even more expensive. I bought my house and land here and plan on selling it for that extra chunk of cash.

How much does it cost to register a vehicle. I have a tundra truck and they go by weight here so it was almost 500 to register and its 124 every year for a new sticker lol

Is PA dog friendly. I do have dogs. I have trained working dogs in TN and in AR.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? What would you change if you could? Schools ok?
Dog friendly? Natural disasters and how long ago? Animal attacks?

Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envygirl View Post
Hi there.

I was a medical assistant before moving to Florida and then worked for animal control and first response teams (due to the massive amount of hurricanes we have here).

I am 34 yrs old, Florida is so expensive. Those beaches you see on tv with the clear water and white sandy beaches well that's in the keys lol all of our coast line is dark brown, brackish, murky water with gators/sharks and flesh eating bacteria. Lets not forget the hurricanes. lol

a 3bdrm house here (not a mobile home) runs about 1500-1800 Mobile homes are around 1000-1200, and Apts. are even more expensive. I bought my house and land here and plan on selling it for that extra chunk of cash.

How much does it cost to register a vehicle. I have a tundra truck and they go by weight here so it was almost 500 to register and its 124 every year for a new sticker lol

Is PA dog friendly. I do have dogs. I have trained working dogs in TN and in AR.
I don't understand. A 3-br. house runs about $1500-$1800, for what? To rent? It would cost you more than that to rent a 3-br. in Sequim/Pt. Angeles. But with a job, you should do ok. Yes, dogs are ok. The water in the area is about 46 degrees F. It's generally not for swimming, though I spent many years at summer camp nearby, swimming. It's definitely an acquired taste, so to speak.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Yes for rent. They run higher then that it just depends how close you are to the coast.
I have seen a lot of rentals on CL in PA running around 850-up but I would want to buy instead of renting.
I don't swim in this ocean lol it's gross and it's not uncommon to see fins in the water. I bought an above ground pool due to how gross the water is lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington