Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:07 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,358 times

Advertisements

The cost is likely worth the view. We have a much smaller house but filled with windows like this (on a MUCH smaller scale). I love the light. Our house stays toasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 04:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
There is something wonderful about a wall of windows looking out... no matter if the view is a mountain, water or that of forest... especially when nice and cozy inside.

Windows like this bring the beauty of the outside in.

The windows could be triple pane?

I'm guessing the heat requirement has been factored in...

The wood insert in the living room is large enough to keep the area very nice...

The alternative of electric heat can add up fast in the winter... $800+ electric bills are not unusual.

Same house different occupants.

One used only PSE and was horrified each winter at the cost to stay comfortable.

The latter occupant heated with wood from the property and never had a PSE bill over $250...

Of course in the "Summer" both had bills under $100 including the well.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 9,696 times
Default blaine, wa

Congratulations on your new home.!!!!
we currently live in TX and recently bought a vacant land in Semiahmoo area in Blaine, WA. hoping to build in a few years when we retire. we have never built a custom home (the closest we have built is thru a builder). any advices for us? thank you very much.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 9,696 times
Hi Pinebaron:

do you build yourself or you hire general contractor & builder & architect (I believe you mention you are an architect ). do you mind telling me very rough estimate of how much per square foot do you pay for your house? thank you very much

Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There is something wonderful about a wall of windows looking out... no matter if the view is a mountain, water or that of forest... especially when nice and cozy inside.

Windows like this bring the beauty of the outside in.

The windows could be triple pane?

I'm guessing the heat requirement has been factored in...

The wood insert in the living room is large enough to keep the area very nice...

The alternative of electric heat can add up fast in the winter... $800+ electric bills are not unusual.

Same house different occupants.

One used only PSE and was horrified each winter at the cost to stay comfortable.

The latter occupant heated with wood from the property and never had a PSE bill over $250...

Of course in the "Summer" both had bills under $100 including the well.
I missed the wood-burning/heating capacity. That would make a big difference. It's the only way a wall of windows like that would be practical. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 AM

33 posts, read 60,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjn0001 View Post
Hi Pinebaron:

do you build yourself or you hire general contractor & builder & architect (I believe you mention you are an architect ). do you mind telling me very rough estimate of how much per square foot do you pay for your house? thank you very much

I hired a contractor and also hired a few subs directly. Since I engaged my builder on a time and material basis, I'm not paying by the square foot and have not finished building yet. Homes in this region are built from 125-500/sq ft depending on upgrades, cost of land, precise location etc.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. That doesn't quite address my question, though. The living room has one wall that's nearly all glass. That's going to cause a cold air draft in the winter; you'll lose heat through the glass, even if double-pained, and cold air falling from the surface of the glass will create a draft. It will take a lot more juice to heat that room, because of those factors. I guess you've never lived in a house with big windows before. Having heating elements below the windows can help mitigate that, as the rising warm air combining with the falling cold air causes a convection that sends heat out into the room. But yours doesn't have that.

Sorry but you guessed wrong, I've always lived in homes with big windows and this one is just a tad larger. By the way I did not state where heating vents are located, not sure how you assumed I don't have that; I did not just cobble a design but engaged a commercial/residential HVAC company .

All heating vents are below windows then some more, besides radiant heat in floors. The HVAC system is specifically sized and designed for this home to keep it adequately warm and cool in winter and summer respectively. Even without furnishings or window treatments, during construction over the winter, the home felt extremely comfortable in every room hence I'm not concerned at all.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjn0001 View Post
Congratulations on your new home.!!!!
we currently live in TX and recently bought a vacant land in Semiahmoo area in Blaine, WA. hoping to build in a few years when we retire. we have never built a custom home (the closest we have built is thru a builder). any advices for us? thank you very much.

Congratulations on buying land in Semiahmoo area in Blaine, WA. We are in the same area. Custom homes are a lot of work if you are as fussy and particular like us. I am fortunate I designed/architected the home myself hence it is about as perfect as I can have it based on our specific requirements. In your case I suggest you engage a good architect first, have the home designed then go look for a suitable builder. Due to extreme amount of construction in this region, good builders/contractors are very hard to find, things may be different when you decide to build.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:19 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,275 times
I only have one question. Are you expecting your wife to maintain this monster of a house, or will she have help?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I only have one question. Are you expecting your wife to maintain this monster of a house, or will she have help?

Wife Rules! I built it, I clean and maintain it!

Since we both like spotless and clean homes, she will interview and engage cleaners like we had in our previous homes. Though I hate to admit it, I end up maintaining our home in showroom condition and that goes for most things with me and even have a video on utube of myself cleaning our basement floors (in our previous home) while listening to music. With all solid surface floors, cleaning an uncluttered home is somewhat easier. We usually have more guests in summer than in winter and have a cleaning routine after guests leave, beds, bathrooms etc.; even our grandkids are used to neatly putting away their toys before they leave. I can see myself frequently cleaning our foyer which will have polished floors, rendering below.

Last edited by pinebaron; 06-19-2018 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Added pic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington