Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,398 times

Advertisements

Hello all, long time lurker and first time poster on the WA forums. My wife and I are considering a few houses in the Longview area; we've more or less been priced out of Vancouver, especially on only one income with children. I had some questions regarding the school districts.

The one house we really like is off of Westside highway, in the Beacon Hill area. While it has a Longview address, the boundary map puts it in the Kelso district. Does anyone have experience with either district? My son is in 4th grade so he'll be in elementary school for another few years. It's hard to find unbiased information online about those schools, and I absolutely despise greatschools.org

We've warmed up to the Longview area and have learned to ignore the folks who quickly write the town off as filled with crime and meth addicts. However, I haven't heard much about the schools. We've been pretty happy with the Vancouver school district and hope that continues up north. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Elementary schools in Longview/Kelso are K-5, so you should also be looking at middle schools (6-8).

Niche rates these as the top elementary schools in Longview:

B- Columbia Heights Elementary School

B- Columbia Valley Gardens Elementary School

B- Robert Gray Elementary School

This is the top middle school:

B- Mt. Solo Middle School

Kelso School District:

B Carrolls Elementary School

B Catlin Elementary School

B- Barnes Elementary School

B- Beacon Hill Elementary School

B- Butler Acres Elementary School

Top Middle Schools:

B- Coweeman Middle School

B- Huntington Middle School

Old 10-22-2016, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,398 times
Thanks, I've never heard of that niche site. Going off of those grades, the schools seem pretty comparable to Vancouver.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:55 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
https://k12.niche.com/

https://www.schooldigger.com/

Best High Schools in the US | Top US High Schools | US News

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Note: GreatSchools here base their rankings (not ratings) 100% on testing results, which are heavily correlated with family income. Besides poverty, they can also be negatively impacted by higher proportions of ESL students, testing opt-outs by parents (which score a zero for GreatSchools), etc. Take with a big grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington