Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 6,742 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Puget Sound area from Georgia for work (IT). I'm looking for farms within 3 hour (reasonable driving) distance to spend the weekends. This is my first venture into farming, so I'll start it as a hobby. I prefer warm, less snowy ( I know I can't expect Georgia weather here, but as closest to it as possible) ! I want to grow veggies/fruits. I'm open to Washington and Oregon as well, wherever I can get 5 acres for 25K. If my requirements are unreasonable I can relax some of them. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 11:33 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP,you'll have to be more specific than "the Puget Sound area". 3 hrs. from Seattle is different from 3 hours from Olympia or Bangor/Olympic Peninsula. And you won't find Georgia-balmy around the state, anywhere. The climate is changing, though, in the warmer direction, for better or for worse.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,742 times
Default 3 hours from Bellevue - Redmond - Kirkland

Hi Ruth4Truth,

You are right. I still haven't found a place to live, but I most likely will be renting in Bellevue - Redmond - Kirkland - Woodinville - Bothel - Sammammish, within 15 mile radius to work.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:35 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,458 times
A couple of general answers to your inquiry that I'll throw out to start. First, from what you describe, you'll want to stay on the west side of the Cascades. It has the more moderate climate. Second, just about anywhere in western Washington will be within three hours of Puget Sound.

Five acres for 25k, I think, will be difficult, not impossible but difficult, however. Obviously, it will be virtually impossible in the three most populous counties in the state, King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties and very difficult anywhere else on the west side of the state. I'm thinking that even on the east side of mountains, it may be difficult. But I'm not a real estate expert and hopefully those that are more current in real estate land prices can chime in and give you better news.

eta: so you want 5-acres to farm and only want to be there on the weekends?

Old 06-26-2016, 12:36 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebh View Post
Hi Ruth4Truth,

You are right. I still haven't found a place to live, but I most likely will be renting in Bellevue - Redmond - Kirkland - Woodinville - Bothel - Sammammish, within 15 mile radius to work.
Well, some of those areas are good for small farms: Woodinville, Marysville, Duvall. Maybe you could just get an extra-big lot? And are you aware that WA State uses high property taxes in lieu of a state income tax for revenue? Something to ponder. Farther north of there, take a look at Mt. Vernon.

edit:
Oh, I see; you'll be renting, not buying, for a place to live, but have a small nest egg to spend on land. Well, OP, I don't think it will work. Your more realistic option would be to look into community P-patch programs for growing veggies.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-26-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
There are farms in Puget Sound, Carnation, Duvall, Monroe, Snohomish, North Bend, Fall City to name a few cities. Our growing season is shorter than Eastern Washington, but there is enough sun for commercial crops to be grown. For your land price, however, you would have to go more than 2-3 hours away. Even Mt. Vernon and Yakima would be over $200,000 for 5 acres. Even Pasco, about 3.5 hours away will cost you 3 times that. Maybe in the Omak area you can find something, but it's 4+ hours away.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:34 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
This is as close as I could find (and it looks like it would need to be cleared):

0 Beville Rd, Boistfort, WA 98532 | MLS #892619 | Zillow

Double or triple your budget and you'll have more choices:

This looks to best fit your requirements (including fruit trees), but is at the outer edge of three hours from Bellevue:

1010 Oak Point Rd, Longview, WA 98632 | MLS #16473795 | Zillow

Pretty easy drive from Portland, however, if you want a "town & country" life style.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are farms in Puget Sound, Carnation, Duvall, Monroe, Snohomish, North Bend, Fall City to name a few cities. Our growing season is shorter than Eastern Washington, but there is enough sun for commercial crops to be grown. For your land price, however, you would have to go more than 2-3 hours away. Even Mt. Vernon and Yakima would be over $200,000 for 5 acres. Even Pasco, about 3.5 hours away will cost you 3 times that. Maybe in the Omak area you can find something, but it's 4+ hours away.
I'm doubtful that even North Central or North East Washington will yield much in the way of 25K for five acres. And those are generally the cheapest parts of the state, real estate-wise. You might find 5 acres for $40 or 50K near Omak or Tonasket, but the nice spots are still more than that.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Your chances of finding 5 acres of decent cropland for $25K in western washington or oregon are vanishingly low. If you do find such a piece, it will have some major drawbacks. For instance, unbuildable and landlocked...

You don't say what experience you have, but an experienced grower - hobby or otherwise - would be more focussed on soil types and water availability than on acreage, so I think you aren't very experienced.

Both western washington and western Oregon have a growing community of people experimenting with ways to farm their backyards. There are a few urban farmers who do their commercial growing not only in their own backyards, but in other people's backyards. There are also close-in farmers who might be willing to lease you some growing space.

Since it seems your work will be in the Puget Sound area, may I introduce you to Seattle Tilth? I think that getting involved with them or a similar organization will be your best bet for finding creative ways to get going. Welcome to Seattle Tilth! — seattletilth.org

Also, I'd look in the Chehalis/Centralia area. It's within your 3-hour radius, and land is noticeably cheaper there than in the Seattle metro area. Very pretty country too.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:32 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Something to consider, even though eastern WA has colder winters then the west, their summers are hotter and the nights are warmer too.

Wenatchee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenatc...gton#Geography

Avg High
3 months > 80F
5 months > 70F
7 months > 60F
8 months > 50F

Avg Low
0 months > 70F
2 months > 60F
4 months > 50F
7 months > 40F
9 months > 30F

Seattle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

Avg High
0 months > 80F
3 months > 70F
5 months > 60F
9 months > 50F

Avg Low
0 months > 70F
0 months > 60F
4 months > 50F
8 months > 40F
12 months > 30F

Atlanta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta#Climate

Avg High
4 months > 80F
7 months > 70F
9 months > 60F
12 months > 50F

Avg Low
2 months > 70F
5 months > 60F
7 months > 50F
9 months > 40F
12 months > 30F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington