Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM

14 posts, read 182,396 times

Advertisements

Curious to know how long it takes to drive from Seattle to Vancouver and whether it's an easy, pleasant drive or a treacherous, windy path and long hold-ups at the border with nasty guards hunting down illegal Canadian immigrant wannabees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
It takes roughly three hours and it's an easy drive. Unless you have any sort of felony conviction you shouldn't have any problems getting into Canada, it's returning to the US that can be a pain.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

39 posts, read 203,454 times
Second that; it was always pretty easy for us. Takes about three hours to Vancouver proper.

Watch for speedtraps in Bellingham and Mount Vernon.

Coming back can be a pain, but just keep your head straight. Many a Seattle-ite has been held up on the way back because they go up north, get horrendously wasted down in Gastown somewhere, and decide to make the trip back in the middle of the night.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It takes roughly three hours and it's an easy drive. Unless you have any sort of felony conviction you shouldn't have any problems getting into Canada, it's returning to the US that can be a pain.
Why is it such a pain? We crossed over and back on the east coast and had no problems....what's different out here?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
pittgall, how long ago did you cross the border back east?

Out here security has gotten a lot more strict since 9/11, and border crossing delays longer and longer.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
From Seattle to Vancouver (barring any real delays at the border) is 3 hours.

DEFINITELY watch out for cops.

I travel from Everett to Richmond (just south of Vancouver) about every weekend. The border can be a bit of a hassle, but all in all, it's not that bad, either way. *If* you go at off times, which is pretty much not going south on Friday evenings or coming north on Sunday evenings, you're looking at about a 30 minute wait, maximum (and quite often far less).

Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Coming back to the WA from BC...whether it be on the road or the ferry to Victoria (I've done both) the US Border patrol is very strict and vigilant. Going across to the BC side is easy. Coming back...well, the attitude is sort of like you have to prove you belong....even with a passport. Even with proper ID. Just strict like that

Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
pittgall, how long ago did you cross the border back east?

Out here security has gotten a lot more strict since 9/11, and border crossing delays longer and longer.

We went to Niagara Falls in October of '05...so way after 9/11. All we had to do was show ID and thru we went....took all of 30 seconds.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Going across to the BC side is easy. Coming back...well, the attitude is sort of like you have to prove you belong....even with a passport. Even with proper ID. Just strict like that
Honestly, from what I've seen, it depends on the day, and which border official you get.

I've gotten some severe hassles going north, and I've also had cases where they didn't even look at my passport. Coming south has never been a more than 30 second process. (Except for this past Monday, I got the "trainee"...yes, this is where I live....no, I'm not bringing anything across the border...)

From what I've seen, I don't think any blanket statements can be made about either side.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM

How much of a delay you have also depends on what has happened at the border recently. If, say, in the past week, they've had a drug bust, you can expect a WAY longer wait, and a lot more vigilance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington