Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM

380 posts, read 1,114,178 times

Advertisements

Any really cool stops on the drive down to Seattle? Or are there any more interesting towns in that direction to spend the day?

I plan on going to Trader Joes, so South in my direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
When I went to Seattle I crossed over to the islands and approached Seattle via ferry. I don't remember the exact route, it was a long tiome ago but if I remember correctly we stopped in Bellingham first (pretty little town) and then took Highway 20 throught the islands. We camped at a place called Scenic Beach State Park which was nice.

Seattle is well worth seeing - if you like history, make sure you do the underground tour.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 AM

380 posts, read 1,114,178 times
Should I instead spend time in the skagit valley for the tulips?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newyorkguy View Post
Should I instead spend time in the skagit valley for the tulips?
Yes!

I'd take I-5 south to Bellingham. There are a few things to see in Bellingham, but I haven't explored there in 10 years, so not sure if Fairhaven, etc. is worth checking out.

Drive through town to Chuckanut Drive and take that south. From there you can visit the tulips or head west to Anacortes. If you like scenic drives and nice parks, do the Washington Park loop drive. It is a good way to get a taste of the San Juan Islands without visiting there. Washington Park is in the far NW corner of town just past the ferry terminal.

South of Anacortes is Deception Pass, which is Washington's most popular state park and great place to take a short hike. Probably a better summer destination, but then it is also more crowded.

La Conner is a neat little former fishing village turned tourist town. It is right next to the tulip fields, so easy to see both.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
If you're in no hurry, take Chuckanut Drive. See the flowers in the Skagit Delta. Drive to the top of Mount Erie and check out the view. Head south on 20 and check out Deception Pass. Stop at Fort Casey and explore a little and enjoy the view of Admiralty Inlet and the Olympics and Port Townsend. Continue south on 20 and take the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry. Follow 99 south to Trader Joes in Lynnwood.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If you're in no hurry, take Chuckanut Drive. See the flowers in the Skagit Delta. Drive to the top of Mount Erie and check out the view. Head south on 20 and check out Deception Pass. Stop at Fort Casey and explore a little and enjoy the view of Admiralty Inlet and the Olympics and Port Townsend. Continue south on 20 and take the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry. Follow 99 south to Trader Joes in Lynnwood.
This is an excellent suggestion. When you get to Deception Pass, be sure to walk across the bridge. Ha ha...well worth the spine tingling feeling.

As to the tulip festival, (Check out LaConner if you have time) you can call and get updates as to the blooms...

Skagit Tulip Festival

Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Bellingham has a Trader Joe's, as well.
2410 James Street Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 734-5166

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM

96 posts, read 281,700 times
If you like video games you could try out AFK Tavern in Everett.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM

291 posts, read 948,464 times
Default Cool stops?

Cool stops? Well it has been a number of years, but my wife and I enjoyed Bellingham, Deception Pass, Laconner (especially having lunch at Laconner pub and feeding the seagulls) . We did see Wayne Lavallee(sp?) perform along the channel at the edge of town. A truly gifted native American singer/songwriter. His wife had been working the streets getting people to come watch his show. Well worth it. We even bought one of his cds. LaConner always seems to have something new each time we have visited. Unfortunately my wife's parents moved to Oregon to a retirement facility. We would have loved to purchase their home in Shelter Bay. What a magical place. Sorry for the rambling. Long and short, LaConner and Deception Pass get my vote. You mentioned the tulip festival. I will warn you ahead of time. The traffic in LaConner and surrounding areas at that time is outrageous. Thick as fleas on a hound dog!

On another note, does anyone have any info on LaConner,Mount Vernon,Anacortes,Bellingham,Sequim,Port Angeles ? We have been to all of these places and plan to visit them again(soon hopefully). Just looking for an update on how those communities are doing. Like I said, it has been a number of years since we have been there(2007 or 2008). We live in Indiana and visit my mom in McMinnville Oregon. We are really itching to get out to WA . We enjoyed it so much and are still planning on moving to that area. Darn economy and housing market!!!

Peace,
WC@H

Last edited by West coast at heart; 05-14-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington