Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'd say people in the Seattle area are taller than average, but average is shorter than you think: The average American male is 5'9, the average American woman is something like 5'5. Also, maybe it depends on where in the Seattle area you are. Maybe Ballard's taller than Lake City or Renton.
And, just a theory here: Seattle has had a recent influx of people working in the tech industry, and they're mostly male. And they're from all over, including from places where people tend to run shorter.
This is absolutely false. The average height has remained stable for many decades. It has been 5’9 in Seattle and nationally. Southern states tend to have more men above that line and northern states may have more men below it, but the overall population levels correlate with the proportions. That is, in states where you have a larger number of men who are above ir below the average, you have larger populations of men, so the averages are still met. The influx of tech workers, whom you assume to be below average despite the fact that many also come from Europe, Africa and places where tall men live, has nothing to do with it. And a good number of Asian men are in fact taller than 5’9. I attended Northeastern University (Seattle Campus, South Lake Union), and most of the make students were Asian. The average male height at our school was still about 5’9 based on my observations. I’m 5’10-1/2, and I would say that most of the men were just a little shorter than I was, while the number of men who were significantly shorter than I was (i.e., 5’8 or shorter) was about the same as the number of men who were taller than I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington