Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,527,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
There is truth that the Scandinavian population is taller than most of the rest of Europe or North America. Seattle has a history of a Scandinavian population. That is the only connection I can find here, however.
That would be offset by the large number of Asians, who tend to be shorter than average. So probably, the average in Seattle is about average, nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
The average male from Seattle is short, fat, and bald.

The average female from Seattle is shorter, and fatter than the average male, but has more hair.

The average Asian from Seattle is shorter than the average Caucasian from Seattle and owns more real estate.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 08-15-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Sarcasm? I think...

Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
How short would a guy 5'10-5'11 feel there? POrtland and Seattle
A taller midget, perhaps? lol

Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
So many on here have mentioned that people in the Seattle area are super tall on average, which I used to think was the case, but now I'm not convinced. I've noticed that it's not so uncommon to notice a woman who is over 5'9" there (I've seen at least 3-4 who are 6'1" to my height so far which astonishes me), but feel taller than 96-97% of the men here (and I'm 6'2"). I have noticed people who are taller than I am of course though (rarely over 6'4"). In your experience, are people taller or shorter in this area on average?

Is this a trick question?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:52 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,378 times
I always thought people in Seattle are paler than in other places.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:45 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,344 times
There's less hispanics in Seattle, which would cause a taller average, but they also have more asians so that may cancel out the difference. I really wouldn't expect any difference across the country.... the only exception being where there are large Mexican/Asian populations... but then the Asians in America is usually taller than the average Asian in China/ India for example... better fed, so they grow their full height before reaching their 20s.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 PM

438 posts, read 376,418 times
I'm a 5'9 female and I've always been the the smallest of my female friend groups in Seattle, but most are "native" Seattleite and super Scandinavian so that gives them an edge (you should see their fathers!). My husband is also a Seattle native with Scandinavian speckled in and is about 6'0 on a good day, and easily the tallest of all his friends who come from other states and aren't as Scandinavian.

Thinking back to my dating days, it was never hard to find someone my height or taller around town. At the same time there were plenty of shorter guys, but not so much that it stood out to me. At this point Seattle is probably like most large demographically mixed city and the "average" is somewhere around 5'10 for everyone. But I do think the larger Scandinavian roots of some people help boosted the Seattle average for a while.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 PM

136 posts, read 179,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
I'm a 5'9 female and I've always been the the smallest of my female friend groups in Seattle, but most are "native" Seattleite and super Scandinavian so that gives them an edge (you should see their fathers!). My husband is also a Seattle native with Scandinavian speckled in and is about 6'0 on a good day, and easily the tallest of all his friends who come from other states and aren't as Scandinavian.

Thinking back to my dating days, it was never hard to find someone my height or taller around town. At the same time there were plenty of shorter guys, but not so much that it stood out to me. At this point Seattle is probably like most large demographically mixed city and the "average" is somewhere around 5'10 for everyone. But I do think the larger Scandinavian roots of some people help boosted the Seattle average for a while.
San Diego or Sacramento is more mixed I think.
You guys have a low black/Hispanic population.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Not sure about Seattle.

But I did read that average height in the US has dropped by an INCH due to the mass migration from Mexico.

Given that Seattle has relatively few Mexican immigrants my guess is Seattle will have TALL people, relative to eastern Washington.
This is a reason I like living in Yakima. I am 5'7 and with the large Mexican population my height blends in. This is the first place.I have lived where I haven't been teased or criticized for being short. I'm sure it's because so many are short but Hispanics are not judgemental about height. Anglo culture is height obsessed in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington